View Poll Results: vBulletin or phpBB.

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • phpBB

3 18.75%
  • vBulletin

13 81.25%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interest in using vBulletin rather phpbb?

Default Re: Interest in using vBulletin rather phpbb?

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith
    I'm one of the guys who voted for phpBB, but I'm certainly not married to it, and the more I look at vBulletin the more I'm sold on it, and vBulletin seems to be winning in the poll. Before opening a paypal account to try to collect funds for this, would it be possible to collect pledges in this thread? Refunding the cash would a pain in the ass if we can't get close enough to the cost to make the purchase, so I think it'd be better to make sure that we actually will reach the goal before we collect anything.
    I sort of have opened a topic to start fund-raising. In it I propose that if we don't make a specific target within a certain timeframe (1-2 months) the money donated will remain in the account to pay towards the hosting costs etc.

Your post by the way confused me a LOT; I was under the impression that there was a big difference between the two programs. Now you give the impression that the difference isn't so big after all? If that's the case, is it really worthwhile to spend $285 on it when we could also use the money for the day to day running of this place ?

By the way, I probably will donate €50 which at todays rate is $72. The way I see it, that could be part of the vBulletin fund or paying for a year (I understand) of hosting.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir
    Your post by the way confused me a LOT; I was under the impression that there was a big difference between the two programs. Now you give the impression that the difference isn't so big after all? If that's the case, is it really worthwhile to spend $285 on it when we could also use the money for the day to day running of this place ?
    Sorry. There is a big difference between the two, perhaps more so on the back end than the front. The biggest selling point to me is how easily it'll make joint management of the blog and the forum. Additionally though, a lot of the features users have been requesting since we moved are standard in vBulletin.

The primary reason I voted for phpBB is that it's free. With enough time and effort, we can eventually build in any of the features vBulletin has that we're missing, but it could take a while. I'm still not 100% familiar with the code base, but some of the things people are asking for could potentially take a long while. It's also unlikely that too much effort will go into the back-end with phpBB, as the focus will have to be on more visible features.

Quote Originally Posted by Being
    I'm assuming that public polls are not easily possible with phpBB and am therefore voting for vBulletin.

I hereby insist we stay with phpBB.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy
    I'm assuming that public polls are not easily possible with phpBB and am therefore voting for vBulletin.

Secret ballots certainly have their place but why are you in favor of making all polls secret?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Secret ballots certainly have their place but why are you in favor of making all polls secret?
    Because it's the counter-thrust to the constant pushing by some for all polls to be public?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Because it's the counter-thrust to the constant pushing by some for all polls to be public?
    I haven't noticed a push to make all polls public. I've mentioned making the option available, a few times, because polls like "Forum You Are From" would benefit from it. I haven't seen any responses until now.

I haven't noticed a push to make all polls public. I've mentioned making the option available, a few times, because polls like "Forum You Are From" would benefit from it. I haven't seen any responses until now.
    It's been a long-running dispute.

Really? I couldn't care less about it.
    Congratulations America

Only one thing will solve this then... < spank Fuzzy