View Poll Results: vBulletin or phpBB.

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • phpBB

3 18.75%
  • vBulletin

13 81.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interest in using vBulletin rather phpbb?

Default Interest in using vBulletin rather phpbb?

While vBulletin costs money and phpBB is free, it is where much (read: all) of us have originated from. I've made this poll to gauge interest in whether PayPal donations or something equivalent should be put up so that we could use vBulletin rather phpBB.

Original thread regarding this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34

Default Re: Interest in using vBulletin rather phpbb?

I'd be willing to toss a couple of bucks wraithy's way. Hell, I was willing to dish out the cash for the forum to begin with.

How much does it cost?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

vBulletin's price tag is 195$ USD.

On an unrelated note, Invision Board is comparable to vBulletin. It however costs 149$ USD.

Is that one-off or annual? Does it come with free upgrades or do you have to buy them?

ATM I'd be more curious how much the simple running costs of this site are for eg bandwidth etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

It's one-off, you can get upgrade for free for a certain period of time if any come out, then you have to pay again.

If we're serious about this though, I think it'd be better to shoot for the $285 "suite", which comes with a bunch of blogging tools as well, and would let us do a lot to integrate things seamlessly. It looks like they have tools to import the database from phpBB, so we would be able to keep all the posts & members we have here whenever we do it, if we ever do.

Damn you BC, before I was completely happy with phpBB & Wordpress. Now you have me drooling over some of the vBulletin features...

Can't you duplicate most of the functionality of vBulletin with mods for phpbb?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint
    Can't you duplicate most of the functionality of vBulletin with mods for phpbb?
    Yes. The mod library for phpbb isn't all that well developed, but I can write our own code for anything else it doesn't cover.

The only features I really miss are quick reply and user editable custom titles.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint
    The only features I really miss are quick reply and user editable custom titles.
    Quick replies are there, just not all the styles support it. I can add that pretty easily. I don't think custom titles would be too hard either.

So, Wraith, would it cost you anything to set up a paypal account on which you can recieve money? We could go with this format untill the funds are available. It would be good I think to have a 'donate' link and some sort of score board.
    Congratulations America

No, it wouldn't cost anything significant to do that if we wanted to.

I'm more than willing to donate cashola.

I think anything that will significantly improve the blog is money well spent: Especially if it is supposed to be the main focal point of this website
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith
    No, it wouldn't cost anything significant to do that if we wanted to.
    I would be willing to donate.
    Congratulations America

I'm happy to donate to it, but I don't actually care one way or the other.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I'd be nice for me to know as well before I devote a lot of time to getting phpBB styles working if we're going to end up using vBulletin... :ugeek:
    . . .

ILLUSIONS! Yes, I shouted. A little birdie told me that you were instrumental in the making of this forum. I had no idea, whilst fawning all over others.

THANK YOU for all the time and effort you've put in here.

I don't really care either way; but I presume the vBulletin is better and easier to maintain ?
    Congratulations America

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir
    I don't really care either way; but I presume the vBulletin is better and easier to maintain ?
    I think it might also be easier to create addon's for.

For example it might be much easier to integrate vBulletin with the blog than it would be to integrate phpBB. But I'm not positive on that, phpBB might've got better since the last time I used it.
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Vernum

For example it might be much easier to integrate vBulletin with the blog than it would be to integrate phpBB. But I'm not positive on that, phpBB might've got better since the last time I used it.
    IC, thanks for the answer. Let me put it this way; I'll go with whatever the techies here prefer. My vote for vBulletin can be interpreted as a willingness to donate.
    Congratulations America

If we spring for the publishing suite, everything can be totally integrated fairly seamlessly and easily. The publishing suite seems designed to support exactly what we're trying to do here.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT
    This should work from now on.

By the sound of it, you all seem to know what the way forward is - vB. Seems like your also getting a better package (Not of the man variety) with vB.

IC, thanks for the answer. Let me put it this way; I'll go with whatever the techies here prefer. My vote for vBulletin can be interpreted as a willingness to donate.
    I concur.

I'm not voting as to be frank I don't care so much. I've used phpbb forums and vB forums and I've never seen such a difference. So my first reaction would be to stick with php, use donations for the running costs, but if Illusions/Wraith/TV etc think there'll be advantages to vB then I too would be happy to make a donation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Same here. I don't really care much myself, whichever is easiest to set up and integrate with the blog is okay with me, and if that is vBulletin I wil donate.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I would be happy to donate whatever is in my PP account. I don't think it's much, but maybe $25. Whatever is decided is actually fine with me. The sticky part might be, if I'm going to donate, someone is going to have to tell me how to go about it. :lol: :P

Stupid question, will we have the smilie? It so often fits me!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldmunchkin
    I would be happy to donate whatever is in my PP account. I don't think it's much, but maybe $25. Whatever is decided is actually fine with me. The sticky part might be, if I'm going to donate, someone is going to have to tell me how to go about it. :lol: :P

Stupid question, will we have the smilie? It so often fits me!
    If you give me all your bank info and login codes and credit card numbers etc., I can surely help you out
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

As Rand said, I've used both systems and from the user-perspective, they seem pretty much interchangable.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

In my opinion, phpBB is like this: . Even if we can't get vB, there are other free forums systems that are far better (Simple Machines/SMF is my personal favorite).

I'm one of the guys who voted for phpBB, but I'm certainly not married to it, and the more I look at vBulletin the more I'm sold on it, and vBulletin seems to be winning in the poll. Before opening a paypal account to try to collect funds for this, would it be possible to collect pledges in this thread? Refunding the cash would a pain in the ass if we can't get close enough to the cost to make the purchase, so I think it'd be better to make sure that we actually will reach the goal before we collect anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith
    I'm one of the guys who voted for phpBB, but I'm certainly not married to it, and the more I look at vBulletin the more I'm sold on it, and vBulletin seems to be winning in the poll. Before opening a paypal account to try to collect funds for this, would it be possible to collect pledges in this thread? Refunding the cash would a pain in the ass if we can't get close enough to the cost to make the purchase, so I think it'd be better to make sure that we actually will reach the goal before we collect anything.

I think Hazir has a pledge thread open already
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

I'm assuming that public polls are not easily possible with phpBB and am therefore voting for vBulletin.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?