Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tablets

Default Tablets

So, am going to buy the other half a tablet for Christmas. Have never used a tablet before.

Want a larger screen, not apple, and preferably Android 4.0.

Can only think of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 10.1"; are there any other alternatives out there?

The Nexus 10, without a doubt if you just want an awesome android tablet with the latest software and a fantastic screen. There are of course larger larger android tablets. If not Android then there is an large number of Windows 8/RT tablets to choose from. If not the Nexus 10 then one of the Transformer tablets from Asus may be interesting for their great design and awesome keyboard docks that turn them into little android netbooks with 20h+ battery life. If a non-nexus Samsung then the 10-inch Note with stylus may be interesting.

The Padfone 2 + tablet docking station may be of interest. It's a great new android phone that you can slot into a zombie tablet and turn it into a real tablet. Comes with good accessories.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Oooh the Nexus 10 passed me by completely.

Am looking at paying over £100 more for for it over the Tab 2 though. Hmmm.

Will check out the others ones today - thanks for the info.

Well, it doesn't necessarily fullfill the requirement for 'big' screen, but if I were you I would still look into the Samsung Galaxy Note II, it's a phone, but with a screen big enough to double as a mini tablet. I am tooling with the same idea for a present (tabletty) and can't entirely discard the Note II so far. Then again, I also consider an iPad still an option (not the mini though, I still don't get why they brought that out with a sub-par screen).
    Congratulations America

I was looking at the Mini as a possible present, why would that be sub-par? Is it just that its smaller?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

For the ~7" market, the mini can't justify its premium price compared to google and amazon's more mature offerings.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I was looking at the Mini as a possible present, why would that be sub-par? Is it just that its smaller?
    The screen isn't as sharp and as high-res as those on other similar offerings eg the Nexus 7.

They're advertising it as "retina display", what's the resolution difference between it and the 7?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

They're advertising it as "retina display", what's the resolution difference between it and the 7?
    There is no 7" retina display iPad. It's got the same resolution as the iPad 2.

Nexus 7 = 216 ppi, iPad mini = 162 ppi new iPad = 264 ppi. The difference is visible.
    Congratulations America

I've seen a bunch of Nexus 7s in Yurp. Got to try it out and it was great. The OS and build quality was seriously top-notch, in line with what I've seen with my Nexus phone. I'm considering buying one when I getting back to the Land of the Lower Taxes.

I haven't seen the Nexus 10, so don't know if it's any good. But Timbuk, have you considered if a smaller tablet might actually be be better for her?

The main potential flaw of the Galaxy tabs is Samsung sometimes "skins" Android in ways that some like, some don't like. But it's worth trying out and seeing if you like it.

You know you can buy tax-free in Europe don't you? I wouldn't discard the option of buying a tablet this side of the ocean. Especially if you are in Germany.
    Congratulations America

Currency differences still make it unaffordable, even with the VAT refund. There's more than one reason tourists haul-home electronics from their US trips.

Also I'm still deliberating if I should get the Nexus 7 or Nexus 10. If it's the 10, I may want to wait until they've produced a bunch so I'm not getting an early production batch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Currency differences still make it unaffordable, even with the VAT refund. There's more than one reason tourists haul-home electronics from their US trips.

Also I'm still deliberating if I should get the Nexus 7 or Nexus 10. If it's the 10, I may want to wait until they've produced a bunch so I'm not getting an early production batch.
    If you buy abroad you can definitely haggle down on the shop's service, since you won't be using that anyway.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Yes, people from Europe would do that because they have US prices competing with EU prices including VAT. You would be looking at tax-free EU prices. You won't get outside of the Eurozone? Also, like Flixy pointed out, there is no need to assume that there is such a thing as a fixed price.
    Congratulations America

EU retailers frequently have higher base prices not just because of VAT or currency, and some say it's because of the generally higher tax-burden/cost of doing business in Europe. I imagine it's especially noticeable in small stupid markets eg. Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    EU retailers frequently have higher base prices not just because of VAT or currency, and some say it's because of the generally higher tax-burden/cost of doing business in Europe. I imagine it's especially noticeable in small stupid markets eg. Sweden
    Actually that's not quite true; very often the pre-tax prices are lower in order to offset taxation. It was the reason why Germans would come to Holland to buy German cars when Dutch taxation on cars was still excessive.
    Congratulations America

In my experience VAT-free UK prices > sales-tax-free US prices

In my experience VAT-free UK prices > sales-tax-free US prices
    But not necessarily lower than US prices including salestax. It differs per item.
    Congratulations America

It's funny by the way, earlier today I was certain I would buy a new iPad for Ronald, now I am leaning towards a Nexus 7 again

And then I find out that by using some otherwise worthless airmiles I can get a iPad (4) for €449.-
    Last edited by Hazir; 11-22-2012 at 01:31 AM.
    Congratulations America

I've seen a bunch of Nexus 7s in Yurp. Got to try it out and it was great. The OS and build quality was seriously top-notch, in line with what I've seen with my Nexus phone. I'm considering buying one when I getting back to the Land of the Lower Taxes.

I haven't seen the Nexus 10, so don't know if it's any good. But Timbuk, have you considered if a smaller tablet might actually be be better for her?
    Well, she's got a HTC smartphone, and will soon be upgraded via contract to a new one with potentially a larger screen, so a smaller tablet, to my uninitiated mind, would be too close in size to a smartphone. I like the idea of a having a larger screen area to play with and view, and reckon she'd feel the same.

I agree that really I need to get into a shop and have a play with them before purchase though ...

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Well, she's got a HTC smartphone, and will soon be upgraded via contract to a new one with potentially a larger screen, so a smaller tablet, to my uninitiated mind, would be too close in size to a smartphone. I like the idea of a having a larger screen area to play with and view, and reckon she'd feel the same.

I agree that really I need to get into a shop and have a play with them before purchase though ...
    I think I agree, for now. Untill I feel a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 basically covers all needs again. But for the last 12 hours it's the iPad (4) as far as I am concerned
    Congratulations America

Samsung Note 10.1 is currently ticking my boxes.
    She has commented in the past on the possibilities of a stylus, so think this'd be a great tab to go for.

Now, it comes in Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G guises.

To add the 3G costs, amazingly, an extra £180.

So I assume the 3G version comes with (or requires) a SIM card, and an associated contract or pay-as-you-go?
    Would it be possible, for the non-3G version, to connect up a smart-phone (USB?) and use the 3G connectivity from the phone?

Without knowing anything about the Samsung in particular:

A Wi-Fi+3G table almost certainly won't "require" a SIM card (unless maybe it was bought on a contract from a phone company, but then you'd have one anyway) as it can be used with Wi-Fi. My iPad is Wi-Fi + 3G, I used it with just Wi-Fi at first and am now thinking of cancelling the 3G SIM as I no longer need it.

A smart-phone to tablet connection via USB is probably unlikely (I may be wrong but never seen it) but what you can do on many smart-phones nowadays is a feature called Tethering. This allows you to turn your phone itself into a localised Wi-Fi hotspot which the tablet (or laptop etc) can then connect to. The iPhone is capable of Tethering for the iPad (or anything else since its just Wi-Fi it won't limit what you use it for), check with your own phone. Also check with your phone company about your contract, many phone companies charge extra to activate Tethering - I believe O2 and Orange from memory last I looked into this include it for free with some bundles as a feature but charge a £5 premium per month for other bundles. As far as I'm aware all the restrictions on Tethering will be phone-based so check your phone model and your contract - for the tablet its irrelevant since all the tablet is doing is connecting to a Wi-Fi hotspot same as any other.

She has commented in the past on the possibilities of a stylus, so think this'd be a great tab to go for.

So I assume the 3G version comes with (or requires) a SIM card, and an associated contract or pay-as-you-go?
    Would it be possible, for the non-3G version, to connect up a smart-phone (USB?) and use the 3G connectivity from the phone?
    For the 3G to be worth anything at all you would indeed need a sim-card (plan or PAYG).

However, if you have a smartphone you most likely don't have any need for a 3G version at all, because then you could put up your smartphone as an accesspoint (hotspot) and connect the tablet to the internet that way. Saves you on the purchase and use. Only fly in the ointment could be that some providers block tethering. You should check if your's does before you decide. I know that '3' in the UK says it doesn't allow tethering, but I can tell you that when I did use my iPone as a hotspot for my iPad in the UK there was no problem whatsoever with internet access. (in Holland this practise - blocking tethering - is against the law)

My idea about this is; the 3G is a waste of money.
    Congratulations America

Seems that way. Good, cos £180 extra is fking ridiculous.

Make sure to try it out at a store first, some people experience annoying performance issues! From what I can tell it's the best option of the Android tablets that have active digitizers with proper stylus support though

If your carrier is okay with tethering ie. using your cellphone as a portable wifi hotspot then you def. don't need a 3G-enabled tablet. I've never had any issues with tethering, and it'd suck if carriers in the UK were to put up a fuss about it with the Padfone 2 you don't even need to tether because the phone powers the tablet but it doesn't have the same stylus support.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    But not necessarily lower than US prices including salestax. It differs per item.
    Considering that most things in Britain cost 50% more, I don't think a sales tax would make much of a difference.

I can't work out why British GDP per capita in PPP is only 10-15% lower than its nominal GDP per capita. Rent is at least 50% higher in Britain, especially if you take into account the size of the houses. Electronics are frequently 50% more expensive (though that's gotten better in the last few years). Brand name clothing is about 50% more expensive. Brand name food is 50% more expensive. Non-brand name meat is 20-50% more expensive. Fast food costs 50% more. Cars cost way more. What am I missing?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Considering that most things in Britain cost 50% more, I don't think a sales tax would make much of a difference.
    My main point of reference is Mainland Europe prices, which aren't as crazy most of the time.
    Congratulations America

The continental countries where I had close friends visit are Austria, Italy, Switzerland, and Sweden, and each of them had prices higher than that in Britain (quite substantially so). I've heard contradictory things about Germany.
    Last edited by Loki; 11-24-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I've found things in Germany are generally relatively affordable, sexy and efficient, despite their national hostility to the Internet.

But I truly haven't been able to find a way in which the Nexus 7 price (minus VAT) is cheaper than in the US. I also specifically want to set-up the device in the US -- whenever I come here, I get prompted with a system update that removes Google Play Books and cuts-out a ton of other stuff available in the Play library.