Thread: Another way to reduce the gender wage gap

Default Another way to reduce the gender wage gap

http://www.freakonomics.com/2012/11/...ont-negotiate/

By using a natural field experiment that randomizes nearly 2,500 job-seekers into jobs that vary important details of the labor contract, we are able to observe both the nature of sorting and the extent of salary negotiations. We observe interesting data patterns. For example, we find that when there is no explicit statement that wages are negotiable, men are more likely to negotiate than women. However, when we explicitly mention the possibility that wages are negotiable, this difference disappears, and even tends to reverse. In terms of sorting, we find that men in contrast to women prefer job environments where the “rules of wage determination” are ambiguous. This leads to the gender gap being much more pronounced in jobs that leave negotiation of wage ambiguous.

So, what are they missing?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

So when offered the chance to negotiate...men just clam up? Am I a woman because I prefer these kinds of things to be as open and transparent as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    So when offered the chance to negotiate...men just clam up?
    Or when the terms are perfectly clear and the possibility of negotiation is explicitly stated women negotiate to approximately the same extent as men do.

I guess I'm just getting confused at the "and even tends to reverse" part in the original post.

I guess I'm just getting confused at the "and even tends to reverse" part in the original post.
    http://www.fieldexperiments.com/uploads/w18511.pdf

It just means that they were, in this study, slightly less likely to apply for those jobs where the possibility of negotiation is explicitly stated and the rules made clear.
    Last edited by Aimless; 11-25-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Pretty consistent with the literature showing that women are less confrontational and group-oriented. I.E. If a job description doesn't say the salary is negotiable, then most women assume they shouldn't be negotiating.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Does anyone ever see job descriptions that list salary as "negotiable"? I see "competitive" sometimes, but not "negotiable".

I've seen both. Competitive more frequently.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Does anyone ever see job descriptions that list salary as "negotiable"? I see "competitive" sometimes, but not "negotiable".
    If these findings are repeatable perhaps no-one will ever again see job ads explicitly stating that salaries are negotiable

It may be in the lingo: Starting At:$X.XX, or, pay based upon experience, range of salary presented.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Pretty consistent with the literature showing that women are less confrontational and group-oriented. I.E. If a job description doesn't say the salary is negotiable, then most women assume they shouldn't be negotiating.
    It's not just for jobs and salaries or wages. I'm not sure how it would be categorized or proven, but men are also more 'likely' to seek discounts for apartment rent, hotel/motel rates, or price-compete for all sorts of voluntary services. Born schmoozers? I dunno....

Women (also called the Fairer Sex) tends to view things in terms of Fairness, including the Rules, and rules of engagement.

It's totally anecdotal, but I've seen how gender affects "negotiations" between Landlords and Tenants.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Men are raised to "provide" under macho culture. So it is understandable that men behave that way.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.