Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: School used laptop to spy on pupils at home

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Questions---aren't kids today supposedly computer savvy, and would notice the light button on their laptop? Or can the remote user turn on the camera but not the light?

If they claimed to use webcams to find lost or stolen units, why wouldn't they have put a GPS chip in them instead?

And what the hell is an affluent school district doing giving laptops to families who can afford their own in the first place?
    Well, a poor school district wouldn't even consider it. Everyone would steal the laptops... "affluent" means they can afford it, but the school district is probably not really affluent anyway... just not dirt poor. That's my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Note, the term "heads rolling" refers to what heads do after they are severed. (Unless you have a basket or something to catch it)
    Once again, I post without thinking.

Sadly, I have a feeling the legal work will take years to resolve though. Damned slow legal system.

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Questions---aren't kids today supposedly computer savvy, and would notice the light button on their laptop? Or can the remote user turn on the camera but not the light?
    Some of the more paranoid students probably covered the cameras up with tape, but I'm sure alot of other students either didn't notice the light or assumed it was some kind of glitch and ignored it.
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

I've already posted where some of the students interviewed said they have complained in the past about the cameras turning themselves on, only to be told it was a "glitch".

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    So the school is either run by control freaks, or pedophiles.
    Amazing.
    I enjoy blank walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermarioman View Post
    So the school is either run by control freaks, or pedophiles.
    Amazing.
    Both?

This is a little interesting. It seems that a short time before this lawsuit came up, a VP in the Bronx showed Frontline on PBS how they spy on their students. And no one raised a single question about it then. Best part is how he brags about it...

"They don't even realize we are watching," "I always like to mess with them and take a picture," and "9 times out of 10, THEY DUCK OUT OF THE WAY."
    http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/25...Boing+Boing%29
    The demostration starts at 4:36.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 03-01-2010 at 07:40 PM.

WTF?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

It's not the same thing, in the video the school is using a remote desktop application to monitor what the laptops are being used for, not remotely activating web-cams in the kids homes.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    This is a little interesting. It seems that a short time before this lawsuit came up, a VP in the Bronx showed Frontline on PBS how they spy on their students. And no one raise a single question about it then. Best part is how he brags about it...

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/25...Boing+Boing%29
    The demostration starts at 4:36.
    Looks like they only did it on computers being used while at school. That's not unheard of, they're supposed to be used on school for school stuff only. Not sure about watching the webcams, but remote desktop checking is fairly common at schools, or businesses. It's watching at home what concerns me...

On a side note, how can "improper behavior in his home" ever be a reason for disciplinary action at school?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Looks like they only did it on computers being used while at school. That's not unheard of, they're supposed to be used on school for school stuff only. Not sure about watching the webcams, but remote desktop checking is fairly common at schools, or businesses. It's watching at home what concerns me...

On a side note, how can "improper behavior in his home" ever be a reason for disciplinary action at school?
    work does the whole remote desktop thing as well, the issue is using the webcam to watch the students, even if they are in school.

They weren't using the webcam, the students were.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    They weren't using the webcam, the students were.
    and they were monitoring that, the video even shows the VP taking control of the webcam software in an attempt to take a picture of the student.

Which, you understand, is not the same thing as remotely activating web cams.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

That might explain why I never said the cases where the same, I even ignored your first attempt at this.

A webcam spying scandal at a suburban Philadelphia school district is broadening, with lawyers claiming the district secretly snapped thousands of webcam images of students using school-issued laptops without the pupils’ knowledge or consent.

Some of the images included pictures of youths at home, in bed or even “partially dressed,” according to a Thursday filing in the case. Pupils’ online chats were also captured, as well as a record of the websites they visited.
    Source

Seems to be looking worse as prosecutors dig deeper.

Strangely, I bet the "if you're innocent, you have nothing to fear" justification for giving government more power will continue on as strong as ever...
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Source

Seems to be looking worse as prosecutors dig deeper.
    Still don't buy the pedo angle I brought up earlier?
    Hope is the denial of reality

I didn't read Wrath's link, but I saw these updates a few days ago, they justified spying on one student because the parents wouldn't shell out the $50+ for the laptop insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I'm starting to buy into it. But from the evidence available at the time, that was going too far IMO.

Be technically correct, eh? It's not pedophilia... because highschoolers are all [post] pubescent. It's creepy and illegal, just not pedophilia.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I'm starting to buy into it. But from the evidence available at the time, that was going too far IMO.
    I just don't buy that people can be quite this dumb. Had there not been a pedo angle, alarm bells would start ringing the first time the school got a photo of a "partially dressed" student.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    Be technically correct, eh? It's not pedophilia... because highschoolers are all [post] pubescent. It's creepy and illegal, just not pedophilia.

I just don't buy that people can be quite this dumb. Had there not been a pedo angle, alarm bells would start ringing the first time the school got a phone of a "partially dressed" student.
    Unless they never got one. You wanted the administrators who implemented this policy to get the pedophilia charge, didn't you (don't make me reread)? From the prosecutors, it sounds like they're only pushing for one guy to maybe be charged with that, and the rest for standard privacy violations for putting the camera and software there to begin with. I could buy that one guy collected most of the voyeuristic photos and kept them to himself.

I really do think that most of the people involved here were just being criminally stupid. They should be held accountable for that, but I don't want to throw worse charges than they deserve at them.

We'll see how many people had access to these photos.

access to != knowledge of.

So when someone ordered the admin to take these photos, you think they never bothered to look at them afterward?

Have you ever been in an organization before?

Anyways, all I'm saying is that I'm not sure anyone ordered those photos to be taken beyond whoever took them, and if so, it's plausible that pedophilia was not the motivation. If an order wasn't given, higher ups might have access to the photos but have never actually used that access.

Taking bets on how much money the district will have to pay for lawsuits?

The lawyers will be set for life.

I'd rather see criminal charges pursued than a huge payout at the county's expense, though.

I don't think they have any shot of avoiding the latter. They pretty much bankrupted their own district. Morons.