Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Civ V Announced

Ah. No I didn't.

Glad you told me that. I had started to build a road to a city which is way out on a thin peninsula. I'll cancel it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Scientific Victory! \o/

One down, 4 to go. Next culture victory. Lets see how a small empire can hold it's own.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

No victories here yet. I'm having trouble with the middle game. Once the early expansion warfare's over I'm just shuffling workers and citizens around trying not to forget to keep my military up to snuff. Its boring.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Yeah, that part can be a bit mindnumbing. That's the reason I went with Monty for the cultural victory. Since he gets +3 culture for each unit killed, I have a reason to always be at war with someone.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Yeah, that part can be a bit mindnumbing. That's the reason I went with Monty for the cultural victory. Since he gets +3 culture for each unit killed, I have a reason to always be at war with someone.
    (It doesn't work (for me)). Also you get more culture the higher tech the units killed are. For mustkets you get like 9 or something. Keep a dead zone for breeding barbarians. Ever seen a barbarian rifleman? I have.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    (It doesn't work (for me)). Also you get more culture the higher tech the units killed are. For mustkets you get like 9 or something. Keep a dead zone for breeding barbarians. Ever seen a barbarian rifleman? I have.
    I still have to start the game, so it'll depend on circumstances. Not too keen on exploiting the game by Barbarian Breeding Grounds. I was more thinking along the lines of pissing everyone around me off to get my sacrifices. That would mean allying City States to get the Luxury resources since I can probably forget about trading.

I didn't know about more culture for higher tech. That's nice. I already was thinking the strategy would only work at the start of the game. Excellent!
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Farming barbarians is an exploit but farming opposing empires isn't?
    The Rules

Ever seen a barbarian rifleman? I have.
    I've seen barbarian infantry. I think at that point the name "barbarian" should be replaced with "guerrilla" or "terrorist".

Farming barbarians is an exploit but farming opposing empires isn't?
    There is quite a bit of difference between keeping a patch of land open for 1 unit at a time barbarian spawning and having to face every empire on the continent.

First attempt at that failed miserably though. I had a nice peninsula secured, not too wide defensive border, couple of mountains ... I thought this would be Game On. Trouble was I had a grand total of 2 Iron and 6 horses. Facing France and America with 12+ iron both was a short lived adventure. Worst strategic resources ever!

Trying again.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

There is quite a bit of difference between keeping a patch of land open for 1 unit at a time barbarian spawning and having to face every empire on the continent.

First attempt at that failed miserably though. I had a nice peninsula secured, not too wide defensive border, couple of mountains ... I thought this would be Game On. Trouble was I had a grand total of 2 Iron and 6 horses. Facing France and America with 12+ iron both was a short lived adventure. Worst strategic resources ever!

Trying again.
    Hah! I just completed my culture game with Ghandi *I needed to load a few autosaves at the end, to get enough production to finish Unity before 2050, but hey* Between Venice and I, we had the Romans locked in, and no one manages to successfully invade me across the sea in an archipelago game. No one. I didn't have horses or iron, but hey, I didn't really need 'em, right? I'm fighting defensively, I can get by with pikes and archers. I discovered coal and oil at the same time due to research agreements. I didn't have any of those either. I started to become concerned. When I finally discovered aluminum, and found out the only way I'd ever access that was maintaining an alliance with Hostile Seoul, I became downright worried. Luckily, it turned out they had some uranium too.

I beat the game, but I had to do it without fighting any wars whatsoever. I had to constantly placate the Romans through the industrial and modern eras. And I had to engage in a RUINOUS trade with Russia for coal so I could purchase a factory partway through the Unity's construction, to complement the nuclear plant Seoul had allowed me to build.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Trying again.
    Should have fought one and allied the other for resources. Nothing says you have to far everyone for culture. In fact, that's rather a bad idea methinks. The whole war to farm thing is a new concept for me - when I go to war I'm thinking about killing the bad guys.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Hah! I just completed my culture game with Ghandi *I needed to load a few autosaves at the end, to get enough production to finish Unity before 2050, but hey* Between Venice and I, we had the Romans locked in, and no one manages to successfully invade me across the sea in an archipelago game. No one. I didn't have horses or iron, but hey, I didn't really need 'em, right? I'm fighting defensively, I can get by with pikes and archers. I discovered coal and oil at the same time due to research agreements. I didn't have any of those either. I started to become concerned. When I finally discovered aluminum, and found out the only way I'd ever access that was maintaining an alliance with Hostile Seoul, I became downright worried. Luckily, it turned out they had some uranium too.

I beat the game, but I had to do it without fighting any wars whatsoever. I had to constantly placate the Romans through the industrial and modern eras. And I had to engage in a RUINOUS trade with Russia for coal so I could purchase a factory partway through the Unity's construction, to complement the nuclear plant Seoul had allowed me to build.
    Nice

edit: Loading autosaves and you're "Hah"ing at me? tsk tsk tsk

Archipelago may be the better suited map for this, but I needed neighbours for Monty's revenge. Perhaps my fault for trying this on King, which I only just beat last game around. Going Always War really is a different kettle of fish. Going to try again on Prince to give myself a shot. Such a shame to, since there were 3 cultural and 3 maritime city states on our continent. It could have been so good.
    Should have fought one and allied the other for resources. Nothing says you have to far everyone for culture. In fact, that's rather a bad idea methinks. The whole war to farm thing is a new concept for me - when I go to war I'm thinking about killing the bad guys.
    Well, I had been reading on Always War scenarios and they seem like fun. And they're tough. You must declare when you meet another civ. I was so happy that I wasn't overrun by Napoleon at the start, he threw everything at me but I survived. And then his swordsmen came in.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Musketeers are to be feared.
    The Rules

Nice

edit: Loading autosaves and you're "Hah"ing at me? tsk tsk tsk .
    Hey, not a SINGLE strategic resource, remember?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Hey, not a SINGLE strategic resource, remember?
    Hey, King remember?
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Hmmm, started a new game for cultural victory, with Egypt this time, since that tomb thingy is free maintenance + happy and culture, and wonder production. Again, just 4 iron but Monaco has 8, so I'll just ally them to get my iron, whales and culture bonus. I might have done that the other game with Monty as well, but didn't think about it.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Won my first game last night. Romans, Standard Continents, King Dif. Won a Science victory. It wasn't particularly difficult. The AI doesn't do overseas invasions. For kicks I tried invading the Mongols who controlled most of the rest of the world and got my clock cleaned. I lacked sufficient aluminum so I couldn't build some of the best stuff and wow, modern armor is practically indestructable. Good thing the AI can't invade or I'd have been hurting. I suppose if I had to I could get more aluminum from a city state. . . . didn't bother to look. So anyway, the last 100+ turns were boring as hell. Launching the space ship was also a bit boring. I miss all the sweet cinematics the Civs Past used to have.

I'm thinking to make and keep this game interesting, for me at any rate, I need combat. The best part is the tactical combat engine anyway. Not sure I like the boats. Civ has never been particularly good with boats.
    The Rules

Last turns before Space victory were indeed boring as mud. No use building anything so everything is at science or wealth. Next turn ... waiting ... next turn .... waiting etc.

The early culture game is starting off rather interesting (Never expected to get so many policies in at the start of a game ), but I'm afraid that when my cities are settled, it might turn out a little sluggish as well.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Finished another domination victory, playing as BismarCk.

Snuffed out all minor nations, then by late industrial it was just me and a far larger but technically equivalent Mongoloid nation, facing each other down from opposite sides of the map.

After initial skirmishes, I was left with superior numbers of Panzers, artillery (love 'em ...), infantry and them APC thingies, so just rolled through his cities at a rate of 3 or 4 per turn.

Interesting how the game ends when you knock out the final capital, even though he had ~15 cities left standing ...

~

That's me third King victory now. Anyone tried Emperor level? Is that the level where the AI starts 'cheating' ?
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Nope, that's king already. Prince (or normal) everything is equal.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Ok. Well this game seems easier than Civ IV then. Found the first cheating AI difficulty level very tough in Civ IV.

Trying Emperor now, as Rameses II. Already way behind in tech, all other nations (5 of em) reached Classical era long before me.

Think this'll be a toughie.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Ok. Well this game seems easier than Civ IV then. Found the first cheating AI difficulty level very tough in Civ IV.

Trying Emperor now, as Rameses II. Already way behind in tech, all other nations (5 of em) reached Classical era long before me.

Think this'll be a toughie.
    I think the early game is loads more fun in Civ5 than Civ4. I could never go around kicking ass and have awesome battles in the Civ4 early game. I'd get bruised right off the bat.
    The Rules

The combat part is easier because the AI has more trouble with 1upt which require quite a bit of tactics, than it had with simply stacking units.

The management part is more difficult if you're not using the Infinite City Sprawl exploit. in Civ IV your happiness problems for instance were limited to 1 city, here it's empire wide.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

I'm not aware of the infinite city sprawl exploit. can you explain?
    The Rules

Don't have time to explain, so I'll just link

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=388793

And here's an application.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=392335

In short, lots of cities, 3 hexes apart, linked by roads, trade post spam all around, food from city states, coliseums everywhere. A hive like structure which is boring as crap, but extremely powerfull.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Without reading, has that been corrected for in the patch?
    The Rules

Nope.

Patch I use is not use the exploit, and only make cities where I want to make them, not where ICS dictates them
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Your sentence doesn't make any sense to me.
    The Rules

Here's your problem: "Without reading"
    Here's mine: "Don't have time to explain"
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

That at least makes some sense.
    The Rules