Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Civ V Announced

I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

We're all just monkeys in a cage fiddlin' with the lock.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    It has Giant Death Robots
    Uh.

It does?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I'm afraid it does. http://www.civilization5.com/#/community/feature_gdr

Or it's a big Civ V "joke", haven't seen it confirmed.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

It looks very ... ED-209.

Seeing as I like to play Civ with World Domination as the only victory option, methinx in Civ 5 getting access to this killer tech first is going to be key.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

PCGamer published a screenshot in its review showing a Japanese city being attacked by the robot.

It's in the civopedia. Haven't built one yet.

Bought it (hard copy, not digital, first time I've done that in awhile)

Haven't installed yet, it'll have to wait for a little while, sadly.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Loving it

Strangest thing though. I went to get my copy this morning and the guy told me it had been there since wednesday. Seems that release dates aren't as rockhard as they used to be.

I was sent a mail of course, which was promptly delivered to my Spam folder Oh well, played the demo yesterday, now back to the real deal
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

NICE.

Half an hour of work left for me.

Eight month project implemented successfully yesterday, last few issues tidied up this morning, project team is happy, business is happy, I'm happy.

So I'm buggering off home at lunch. Civ 5 should be sitting in an Amazon box on my doormat, calling to me, asking, begging, needing to have its billion beautiful lines of code transferred to the loving folds of my hard drive.

Loving it

Strangest thing though. I went to get my copy this morning and the guy told me it had been there since wednesday. Seems that release dates aren't as rockhard as they used to be.

I was sent a mail of course, which was promptly delivered to my Spam folder Oh well, played the demo yesterday, now back to the real deal
    From what I read on their forum when I was trying to find out if there was some problem I was missing when steam kept fucking with my install - you could have had it in your possession sooner, but it would have told you that it wasn't released yet when you tried to install.

Thats correct.

Steam protected games are basically an unlock key. The files are usually on the disc, but they don't have to be (I think Civ V had a 900+mb patch to download once unlocked), and when you go to install it you are still subject to Steam's street date unlock.

But you also get all the Steam provided services, and I'd take the wait over Tages or disc checks. Steam even advertises the preloading option as a benefit, allowing digital copies to be installed and ready to go once the street date arrives, but Steam has a mixed history about unlocking stuff on time.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    From what I read on their forum when I was trying to find out if there was some problem I was missing when steam kept fucking with my install - you could have had it in your possession sooner, but it would have told you that it wasn't released yet when you tried to install.
    Aha, I see. No harm done than

Just around BC at the moment, and I already have 12.645 things I need to do differently next time around.

I did have my first crash though Hoorah for autosave!
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Hmmm ... mine crashes after 5 mins or so. Did so twice.

Reckoned it was due to it running under Directx 11, so changed to run it under Directx 9c, and it's been fine since.

Yep, mine crashed twice under 10, under 9 no problems ... yet.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

I haven't played deeply enough to know if this is real or not. But if I had to guess, I'd say its not. BTW - this game has been pretty darn fun so far, though I've only been able to tinker with it a couple hours.

EDIT: Oh, I see it is real. Cool - I was always disappointed that CIV tech progression always stopped when combat technology was fixing to get really interesting.

Also - my copy's been stable as a rock. No issues at all. And that Steam thing threw me too - no idea what the hell that was about at first.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    But if I had to guess, I'd say its not.
    Click to view the full version

Sweet. I can't wait to field some of those guys.
    The Rules

One thing though ...

I always buy games in the shops because I want to have a paper manual. So I was mad Civ V didn't have one. Then they justify it by saying: it's better for the environment, so I got even more pissed of for being an asshole for being mad at people trying to save the environment

In fact I got so mad, they're now going to build schools in Africa because of me
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Just for kicks I bought the strategy guide, which is structured suspicously like Civ 4's game manual....
    The Rules

Just looking at the era tree. Seems in the Future Era, you can build your SS bits, like stasis chamber etc, for the spaceship, as per Civ IV

Yet Space Race is not a victory option ...

Yes, it is Bukaroo. It's a science victory.

Perhaps, Timmy, you haven't gotten far enough to where your advisors inform you how to win.

Ah ok.

Yep indeedy, am still at the stage of fighting off barbarians with sharp pointy sticks and hurling rocks, so ... not very advanced.

Back to playing for the entire day on monday.

Cultural victory last night, didn't realize I had to build the Utopia Project once I'd reached it. Ramesses II thought he could **** me like he fucked my allies, I ended up giving them back all the cities they'd lost.

Hilarious ranking system at the end based on points. I got Charlemagne, and it gets funnier and funnier as you go down the list.

An observation --- you "***" the profanity once but three words later didn't. So....?
    The Rules

Since a lot of people have this, would there be any interest in setting up a multiplayer game? I've never played Civ multiplayer before, but it could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    An observation --- you "***" the profanity once but three words later didn't. So....?
    Intentional, ironic, eh you get the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Since a lot of people have this, would there be any interest in setting up a multiplayer game? I've never played Civ multiplayer before, but it could be interesting.
    I was thinking about this too. Do you guys have headsets or...? I've heard that the saving process in multiplayer is a bit strange, as are the simultaneous turns, but I'm willing to give it a go. It's all about timing, as well.

I have a headset. I assume typing is a possibility too though, and it didn't occur to me to use voice until you mentioned it. It's how we're all used to communicating with each other, anyways.

Weekend some time would probably be the best bet, if others are interested. We could probably time it to catch both Amerikans and Euros during waking hours.

I haven't got one but could easily pick one up if it's what everyone else is into. Could be interesting/shocking to hear everyone for the first time. You're right, weekends are the best timeframe. Perhaps we could even do an Amerikans v. Euros match (players and civs) if possible.