Thread: Civ V Announced

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Source

I know we've got a lot of strategy gamers around, so I figure this could get its own thread rather than burying it in the "what are you playing" thread. I'll also be making one when Victoria 2 comes out. Fair warning.

Not too many details yet, so it's hard to get too excited, but hey, new 4X!

Also:

Hexes!
    Omg! Omg!

I never played Victoria, but I played the hell out of Hearts of Iron 2 and EU3. Are they similar?

And I do hope that this Victoria sequel doesn't go the way of HoI3, which I really had difficulty time getting into. And I missed the excellent way in which research was done in HoI2. Why did they abandon that?!

http://www.civfanatics.com/gallery/b...mages.php?c=36 16 images. Don't know if you have to log in, if so I'll post the images here.

Rumours:
    - Switch from squares to hexagons changing the way the game plays. More room for maneuvers and more tactical options.
    - Changes to combat. More depth in combat, no more stacking of units. This will lead to bigger focus on terrain.
    - Inspired by Panzer General.
    - Reintroduction of Bombardment, now archers and siege equipment can shoot over melee units.
    - Better diplomatic AI.
    - More diplomatic options between players.
    - Less "cheating" AI.
    - Religion is not a factor anymore.
    - Ressources are not infinite. For example one source of horse only supplies enough horses for 1 unit, but when that horseman dies the horses will respawn as a unit. (this confused me alittle, i guess we will have to watch it in action)
    - City States as a sort of small countries that never develop beyond their single city. They can provide bonusses if you befriend them, or you can take over their land.
    - Civics are out, now there is something called "Social Policies".
    - About the same amount of wonders, the tech tree will feel familiar. Great People still in.
    - Some victory conditions changed. For example in Conquest you only have to capture all the other capitals. Eliminates boring mop up phase.
    - Unique Civ leader bonusses, no more standard "Spiritual" or "Financial".
    - DirectX 11 support.
    - Built in webbrowser. Sid Meier is also working on a facebook application of Civilization.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by coinich View Post
    I never got into the Civ games, though I know many people like them. Whats the draw?
    Building an empire. I was hoping somebody else would answer it better, but Ziggy let me down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    I never played Victoria, but I played the hell out of Hearts of Iron 2 and EU3. Are they similar?
    It uses the same engine as HoI2, so yeah, similar. The focus is on economics rather than war.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Building an empire. I was hoping somebody else would answer it better, but Ziggy let me down.

It uses the same engine as HoI2, so yeah, similar. The focus is on economics rather than war.
    I have a number of games that can do that, so I was wondering what mechanics made it stand out.

Also, does anyone know of a good review for EU3? You all say its such a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by coinich View Post
    I have a number of games that can do that, so I was wondering what mechanics made it stand out.

Also, does anyone know of a good review for EU3? You all say its such a good game.
    Here's a review: it's good

I just noticed ... you never played a civilisation game?

And since pictures tell some number of words, two vid reviews.

Civ IV:

EU3

EU3 voice over is a bit annoying
    Last edited by Ziggy Stardust; 02-19-2010 at 09:29 PM.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Nice....

Edit: So, instead of massive stacks we'll just have every tile covered in units...

Review

Civilization V is one of the best turn-based strategy games I’ve ever had the pleasure of playing. Whether teaming up with my friends for some multiplayer, or simply losing a whole night of sleep to the game’s endlessly replayable single player, this is one game that any strategy enthusiast, or, hell anyone strat-curious should check out. Sure, I miss some of the deeper inter-civilization relations that the more defined religion and government setup brought in Civilization IV, but that’s nothing anyone new to the series will even think twice about. With all the tips, advisers and tools in place, this is the first Civilization for PC that I feel is worth just about every person’s time. Go forth and create, subdue, and exploit. Do as Firaxis has done, and bring Civilization to the masses.
    Sounds pretty favorable. I have the thing preloaded, natch. Will play it tomorrow.

It worked.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)