Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Civ V Announced

Have you tried changing turns in strategic view? It takes quite a load off the system. Sorry to hear this is happening.

I'm playing as Hiawatha on a continents map against you Mongoloids, had to launch a preemptive war when it was clear he wanted to settle on my island. I'm befuddled at how stupid the AI is to keep embarking units when my one caravel keeps swallowing them instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by NGS View Post
    Have you tried changing turns in strategic view? It takes quite a load off the system. Sorry to hear this is happening.

I'm playing as Hiawatha on a continents map against you Mongoloids, had to launch a preemptive war when it was clear he wanted to settle on my island. I'm befuddled at how stupid the AI is to keep embarking units when my one caravel keeps swallowing them instantly.
    Hmmm. Forgot about strat view. Will give it a try. However, I don't think it's a performance issue.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

It worked.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Grats! Now go kick some ass.

I keep underestimating how addictive this game is. Stayed up until 6:30 this morning finishing, wondering where the time went and why I wasn't tired...

I went after the Americans, deciding to go entirely conventional. Well, in turn 2 of the war they nuked Miami, which I had taken from them maybe a hundred years earlier. Bastards. If I'd done that the world would hate me forever. Unfortunately for George, Miami was too far behind the lines to destroy much of my army and it wasn't a very important city, so I pressed on, taking 4 of his biggest cities and forcing him into a peace treaty so I could take on the Russians, Arabs and Chinese who all declared on me after I got nuked. Marching on Baghdad right now...

I go into strat view while other players are cranking their turns then switch back to run my turn. Unfortunately I missed the nuking of Miami, which must have been pretty cool.
    The Rules

I feel like the number of reasons other civs can hate you far outnumbers the reasons they can like you; it makes diplomacy feel useless and unwinnable. Basically if I do anything that contributes to making my civ better, all of a sudden everyone hates me. I wish I at least had the intimidate option the AI does--you know, the "I noticed you suck so now I am laughing; 'ha ha ha ha'" thing. I also feel like the AI is waay to reluctant to trade. I almost never get trade offers, and the AI usually wants way too much in return. I guess I should try forming more pacts of friendships, but the vast majority of civs don't want to do that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NGS View Post
    I feel like the number of reasons other civs can hate you far outnumbers the reasons they can like you; it makes diplomacy feel useless and unwinnable. Basically if I do anything that contributes to making my civ better, all of a sudden everyone hates me. I wish I at least had the intimidate option the AI does--you know, the "I noticed you suck so now I am laughing; 'ha ha ha ha'" thing. I also feel like the AI is waay to reluctant to trade. I almost never get trade offers, and the AI usually wants way too much in return. I guess I should try forming more pacts of friendships, but the vast majority of civs don't want to do that anyway.
    The only time I can get an AI to make an equitable trade is if we're doing research agreements or open borders. Some of the time. Trading resources, forget about it. You can have a pact of cooperation, multiple pacts of secrecy, and a defensive alliance, they still won't trade resources at anything but a 1:2 ratio.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    The only time I can get an AI to make an equitable trade is if we're doing research agreements or open borders. Some of the time. Trading resources, forget about it. You can have a pact of cooperation, multiple pacts of secrecy, and a defensive alliance, they still won't trade resources at anything but a 1:2 ratio.
    Ghandi will. Also, Alexander asked me to go to war against someone with him and I agreed. Afterwards he traded luxuries 1:1. Most of the time they hate me though. I've given AIs free luxuries, gold, even cities and they generally shrug it off. It doesn't appear to be possible to improve relations by giving them free stuff.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Weird.

I do attempt luxury trade with Friendly states from time to time, and though I am sometimes snubbed, I do occasionally get a favourable response to a 1:1. Could depend on what you are bringing to the table?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I get lots of 1:1 trades as well, in the beginning of the game. Later on, unless you stay small for a cultural victory, there's always something to complain about (womders, city states, land they covet) After the patch though happybuildings cost less and deliver more, so lux resources aren't that important anymore.

Not sure if I really suck at technology, but I'm in a battle in the Moder Era with Russia and Egypt who both outtech me (aiming for that, been turleing the whole game) and we actually have a war for air domination. Before the patch I hardly spotted enemy planes, and now I have 2 flying interception, two making air sweeps for the bombers and a couple of beaten up ones recovering from hits on each front. And it seems Egypt and Russia are doing the same. I can now bomb Russia at will because I won that one, but Egypt has lots of jet fighter preying on my Stealth Bombers so we´re still duking it out.

Nice change from before the patch when all I saw incoming where missiles, missiles and more missiles.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Ghandi will. Also, Alexander asked me to go to war against someone with him and I agreed. Afterwards he traded luxuries 1:1. Most of the time they hate me though. I've given AIs free luxuries, gold, even cities and they generally shrug it off. It doesn't appear to be possible to improve relations by giving them free stuff.
    Aye, those two were the only ones I was thinking of that are nice. I remember in my first ever game I had defeated Egypt and taken all their shit, so I gave my best friend Russia back all of her cities he'd captured...and she hated me for it. I guess she couldn't bear to manage them or something...

I'm jealous, Ziggy. I almost never get into Modern Era wars, and if I do it's because I outtech everyone. I wanna know what that air combat is like; it seems like a fun facet of war to control.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Weird.

I do attempt luxury trade with Friendly states from time to time, and though I am sometimes snubbed, I do occasionally get a favourable response to a 1:1. Could depend on what you are bringing to the table?
    I've tried after we entered a mutual war, as Chaloobi has described. No luck. I've tried it when at low happiness, so I really needed it, and apparently they like the human player at low happiness, means we won't be expanding, so they won't trade. I've tried it at high happiness in the late game, trading with someone who never got off a small continent with only one abundant luxury, who is absolutely desperate for happiness, and they wouldn't trade either, because they don't like to aid human players who are doing better than them in happiness.

The range in which an civilization might engage in mutually beneficial 1:1 luxury trades at Prince and higher has to be ridiculously small.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Not sure if I really suck at technology, but I'm in a battle in the Moder Era with Russia and Egypt who both outtech me (aiming for that, been turleing the whole game) and we actually have a war for air domination. Before the patch I hardly spotted enemy planes, and now I have 2 flying interception, two making air sweeps for the bombers and a couple of beaten up ones recovering from hits on each front. And it seems Egypt and Russia are doing the same. I can now bomb Russia at will because I won that one, but Egypt has lots of jet fighter preying on my Stealth Bombers so we´re still duking it out.

Nice change from before the patch when all I saw incoming where missiles, missiles and more missiles.
    I've found that playing above Prince, it's usually going to take me until at least the middle modern era before I start out-teching most other civilizations. I haven't picked up the latest patch yet *didn't want to abandon the English game I was playing* but Songhai finally started building jet fighters, after seeing what my standard bombers were doing to Caesar. He's not able to use them too effectively yet, because he won't bring them over from his border with Caesar and I rely heavily on a squadron of super-promoted destroyers in these wars and he can rarely see them, but after he nearly sunk one destroyer, and shot up some incautious bombers, it would certainly be interesting. I'd definitely have shift my air force to a heavier fighter ratio than it currently uses, which would probably mean a second carrier.

I'm building some death robots now. Can't wait to use them. I haven't built an air force yet and the Ruskies are bombing the crap out of my modern armor. Good thing I have lots of them. . First time I've ever been to the modern era, btw. After patch, managing money and happiness is a lot easier.
    The Rules

Grrr. Ever since the patch my games are crashing consistently every 4-5 turns. It's a real pain in the arse.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Odd. Are you playuing an old pre-patch save?
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Nup, new game post patch.

Will try latest vid drivers tonight. Dunno wot else I can do.

That's the same problem I encountered. Something in the patch is causing it as my PC has a lot of computing power and I had never experienced troubles like this before. As a work around I go into Strategic View on every turn change and the crashes disappear.

NOTE: I really love the giant death robots. They totally kick ass and their weapons are fun to watch in action. Note, helicopters are hell on armor and the AI knows it. While fighting the Russians I was using mostly modern armor, some mech infantry, and a few odd booted units. Well, all these helicopters started showing up and even attacking them with tanks gets the tanks killed. Got to maintain combined arms, folks.

Also note - rocket artillery rocks. I like the insane firing range. Heh.
    The Rules

Oooh ok thanks for the heads up. Will try the strategic view.

Haven't gotten to the death robots yet in all my games.

Hopefully in this game my feeble foes will hold out against my superior war-mongering a little longer.

Play on higher skill levels ya douche.

Edit - the AI seems very willing to push the button. I've had two cities nuked in this game and my neighbors, the Americans, got simultaneously nuked but the same enemy. Fallout everywhere. The AIs don't seem to pay any political penalty for murdering millions of people that way.... One would think they'd be shunned by the world, Empire and City State alike.
    The Rules

I play King level.

Won a domination game on Emperor level, but have come back to King for the new patch.

Not seen nukes yet. Don't want to either *shudders*

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    I play King level.

Won a domination game on Emperor level, but have come back to King for the new patch.

Not seen nukes yet. Don't want to either *shudders*
    Nukes are beautifully animated. I play King level too. Seems just right for a challenging but not too difficult game. Though, post-patch King seems a little easier - happiness and money appear easier to maintain.
    The Rules

Hmmmm am really struggling with happiness in my current game. Probably cos I have more cities than I ever have before - must have around 35 or so - and Hiawatha built the bloody Forbiedden Palace before me (reduces unhappiness from number of cities)

~

Hmmm ... might have to have a savegame and launch a few nukes just to see the pretty kabooms and mushroom clouds.

Need to research manhattan project first though yes? Not even had a game yet where any opponent has researched it ... let alone me.

Have to have Manhattan project and I think research fission before you can build a bomb. And you have to have uranium. In my current game everyone's built the manhattan project, though I haven't used any uranium for bombs. Just building giant death robots instead. Nukes are messy and everyone hates you after you use them. The victory conditions in my game are domination and culture, so we're all in the Modern Era now slugging it out. I'm slowly absorbing everyone - at one point the whole world had declared war against me except one country. I was able to survive using some strategically placed City States as a buffer. Got really good at that, in fact. Your enemies have to fight through the city states to get to you, which is easier said than done.
    The Rules

I've never had nearly as many cities as you guys...the most I've had was about 7 as Hiawatha and that was tough to manage at first (with happiness). I seem to do fine with a few high-output cities, but I haven't played higher than King yet. Nor have I used a GDR, but Nukes won me that Hiawatha game.

Side note: do you guys ever have coal? It seems like there are always only a few pockets of it in every game I play, and I'm rarely ever near one of those tiles.

In my current game I have tons of coal. Oil's a little constrained and uranium is very constrained, though I just captured a mine from Ghandi. I had to fight through Russia before I had access to him, but now he's totally screwed because he's practically defenseless. Very big, very soft cities. I have no idea why he keeps declaring war on me. He's got no military and I've never provoked him ever. I even gave him a bunch of free stuff trying to coax him to be a trading partner, but he just would not move. So now I'm going to dethrone him.
    The Rules

Given up for now. Crashes are getting just too annoying.

Restarting game every 10 minutes, going through starting cutscene and then loading latest save game each time - I'm spending more time restarting and reloading than playing.

Downloaded latest nVidia drivers - still crashes.

Tried switching over to strategic view at the end of each turn - still crashes.

Never in all my years of PC gaming have I come across a patch that's made a game crash more.

That totally sucks. What if you wipe it and reinstall? Last resort, I know. But the alternative is quitting.
    The Rules