Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Civ V Announced

Default Civ V Announced

2K Games just made the day a little brighter with the announcement of a brand new title in the best-selling Civilization series. Sid Meier's Civilization V, currently in development at Firaxis, will feature an "entirely new combat system, deeper diplomatic interactions, and a cavalcade of expanded features that deliver a fully immersive experience providing hours of enteratainment as players build and defend their empire on their quest to become the greatest ruler the world has ever known."

Perhaps most significantly for fans, the series is making the jump to hexagons rather than square tiles to "allow for deeper strategy, more realistic gameplay, and stunning organic landscapes." The entire game is being built on an entirely new engine that's being built from the ground up to bring players "closer to the Civ experience than ever." Diplomacy is handled full screen now, with full leader animations and appropriate languages. Players who aren't inclined towards negotiations will find that war feels "more massive" and includes ranged bombardment from behind front lines.

Civilization V will also include an "extensive suite of community, modding and multiplayer elements," and an "in-game community hub where Civ fans can share content and compete against each other."

Firaxis' director of creative development and series' eponym Sid Meier shared his enthusiasm for the new project: "Each new version of Civilization presents exciting challenge for our team. Thankfully, ideas on how to bring new and fun experiences to Civ players never seem to stop flowing." He added, "We're excited for players to see the new vision our team at Firaxis has brought to the series."

Civilization V is due out this fall.
    Source

I know we've got a lot of strategy gamers around, so I figure this could get its own thread rather than burying it in the "what are you playing" thread. I'll also be making one when Victoria 2 comes out. Fair warning.

Not too many details yet, so it's hard to get too excited, but hey, new 4X!

Also:

Hexes!

*jumps up and down excitedly*

Without checking, Victoria 2 is the one you recently showed me the trailer for that I thought looked fun, right?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Have you played Victoria 1? It was really fun until they decided to stop letting you build your own factories.
    Hope is the denial of reality

New Civ?

The day just got awesomer..

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    *jumps up and down excitedly*

Without checking, Victoria 2 is the one you recently showed me the trailer for that I thought looked fun, right?
    Yeah. I'm not quite sure how you thought it looked fun, I posted it thinking it was another one of those things that nobody would get why I was excited about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Have you played Victoria 1? It was really fun until they decided to stop letting you build your own factories.
    Yeah, I actually preferred it before the expansion. But I figure lolli's likely to go communist, which means she would have been able to build her own factories anyways.

I'm not completely clear on the new economic model they're going with, but hopefully it'll work out well.

Still, Victoria was the best Paradox game ever.

I don't know, there seemed to be too bloody much micro management in the later versions.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Yeah. I'm not quite sure how you thought it looked fun, I posted it thinking it was another one of those things that nobody would get why I was excited about it.
    Well you come up with plenty of those. Although in those cases I usually think it's something I wouldn't get why you were excited, but other people would.

But I figure lolli's likely to go communist, which means she would have been able to build her own factories anyways.
    You better remember to smile when you say that, honeybunch.

Where's Alpha Centauri 2
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Never heard of Victoria..is there a great strategy game out there I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Where's Alpha Centauri 2
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowheart View Post
    Never heard of Victoria..is there a great strategy game out there I'm missing?
    You're probably missing the entire Paradox line if you haven't heard of it yet.

Victoria is a grand strategy title that takes place in the 19th and early 20th centuries. You take command of a country and guide it through those times. Economics was one of the primary focuses in the game. It's kinda a hardcore game, and the fairly deep systems all conspired to give the game an extremely steep learning curve. The complexity is what I loved about the game, but I've never suggested anyone go straight into Victoria if they've never played Paradox games before, and I'm not going to start now. Go get Europa Universalis 3.

Which is fucking fun fun fun.

Maybe I should get Victoria before Victoria 2 magically appears and you get all excited and have to replace your keyboard.

Thanks for the information..

I do have (and enjoyed) Europa Universalis, and am a big fan of the complex, micro type games so this sounds interesting.
    Have to take a look at that one.

A new Sim City xxxx that isn't total shit would be nice.

Where's Alpha Centauri 2
    Not likely to be made, sadly, since I don't think Firaxis have the rights to it.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    Where's Alpha Centauri 2
    I saw the trailer for the original on my Sim City 3000 disc years ago, but I never got to play it. Was it any good?
    I enjoy blank walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermarioman View Post
    I saw the trailer for the original on my Sim City 3000 disc years ago, but I never got to play it. Was it any good?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Not likely to be made, sadly, since I don't think Firaxis have the rights to it.

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    I enjoy blank walls.

I never got into the Civ games, though I know many people like them. Whats the draw?

Source

I know we've got a lot of strategy gamers around, so I figure this could get its own thread rather than burying it in the "what are you playing" thread. I'll also be making one when Victoria 2 comes out. Fair warning.

Not too many details yet, so it's hard to get too excited, but hey, new 4X!

Also:

Hexes!
    Omg! Omg!

I never played Victoria, but I played the hell out of Hearts of Iron 2 and EU3. Are they similar?

And I do hope that this Victoria sequel doesn't go the way of HoI3, which I really had difficulty time getting into. And I missed the excellent way in which research was done in HoI2. Why did they abandon that?!

http://www.civfanatics.com/gallery/b...mages.php?c=36 16 images. Don't know if you have to log in, if so I'll post the images here.

Rumours:
    - Switch from squares to hexagons changing the way the game plays. More room for maneuvers and more tactical options.
    - Changes to combat. More depth in combat, no more stacking of units. This will lead to bigger focus on terrain.
    - Inspired by Panzer General.
    - Reintroduction of Bombardment, now archers and siege equipment can shoot over melee units.
    - Better diplomatic AI.
    - More diplomatic options between players.
    - Less "cheating" AI.
    - Religion is not a factor anymore.
    - Ressources are not infinite. For example one source of horse only supplies enough horses for 1 unit, but when that horseman dies the horses will respawn as a unit. (this confused me alittle, i guess we will have to watch it in action)
    - City States as a sort of small countries that never develop beyond their single city. They can provide bonusses if you befriend them, or you can take over their land.
    - Civics are out, now there is something called "Social Policies".
    - About the same amount of wonders, the tech tree will feel familiar. Great People still in.
    - Some victory conditions changed. For example in Conquest you only have to capture all the other capitals. Eliminates boring mop up phase.
    - Unique Civ leader bonusses, no more standard "Spiritual" or "Financial".
    - DirectX 11 support.
    - Built in webbrowser. Sid Meier is also working on a facebook application of Civilization.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by coinich View Post
    I never got into the Civ games, though I know many people like them. Whats the draw?
    Building an empire. I was hoping somebody else would answer it better, but Ziggy let me down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    I never played Victoria, but I played the hell out of Hearts of Iron 2 and EU3. Are they similar?
    It uses the same engine as HoI2, so yeah, similar. The focus is on economics rather than war.

Sounds good, worth checking out to keep myself occupied until Civ V arrives.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Didn't you have a problem with internet purchases? You're never going to be able to find Vicky in a store.

If your problem with internet purchases has resolved itself, Heir to the Throne, the newest EU3 expansion came out in December I think, if you don't already have it. A lot of good changes came with it.

I banned myself from internet purchases. But surely there are stores where I can go to and order Victoria. I checked, you can buy hardcopies of Amazon, so that should be possible.

Googling Heir to the Throne ...

edit: Hang on, the expansions of EU3 were only available online if I remember correctly, so that's effed up.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Sweet Jesus there is a god!

I need to send them a note and tell them to fix the resource lunacy. As if I couldn't breed cows in a different square for fucks sake. And horses were brought to north america afterall. And New York isn't fed from the surrounding land. Is it? IS IT! Of course not.

EDIT: I thought religion was pretty cool.....

Where's Alpha Centauri 2
    Clearly impossible to please.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Sweet Jesus there is a god!
    Who´s geeked about CIV V?
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Who´s geeked about CIV V?
    HEXES! As long as they keep Fuzzy away, this game's going to be AwEsoMe. I can feel it.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    HEXES! As long as they keep Fuzzy away, this game's going to be AwEsoMe. I can feel it.
    I said the same exact thing about Moo3.....

I'm not going to make that mistake again.

Who has played the Fall From Heaven 2 mod for Civ IV? I'm loving that mod!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

Quote Originally Posted by ImAnOgre View Post
    I said the same exact thing about Moo3.....

I'm not going to make that mistake again.

Who has played the Fall From Heaven 2 mod for Civ IV? I'm loving that mod!!!
    i haven't played it but I will on your recommendation.

also, Fuzzy screwed up MOO3, so. . . .
    The Rules

Building an empire. I was hoping somebody else would answer it better, but Ziggy let me down.

It uses the same engine as HoI2, so yeah, similar. The focus is on economics rather than war.
    I have a number of games that can do that, so I was wondering what mechanics made it stand out.

Also, does anyone know of a good review for EU3? You all say its such a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by coinich View Post
    I have a number of games that can do that, so I was wondering what mechanics made it stand out.

Also, does anyone know of a good review for EU3? You all say its such a good game.
    Here's a review: it's good

I just noticed ... you never played a civilisation game?

And since pictures tell some number of words, two vid reviews.

Civ IV:

EU3

EU3 voice over is a bit annoying
    Last edited by Ziggy Stardust; 02-19-2010 at 09:29 PM.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars