Thread: French upset at fast food joint selling halal-only

Default French upset at fast food joint selling halal-only

Halal Hatred: French Pols Claim Discrimination Over Pork-less Muslim-Friendly Menus

LILLE, France (AP) -- A French town filed a legal complaint Thursday accusing a branch of a mainstream fast food chain of discrimination because it only serves burgers prepared according to Islamic dietary law.

The mayor of the northern town of Roubaix, Rene Vandierendonck, told The Associated Press that he wants the Quick burger restaurant to "propose a new, diversified" menu that satisfies a broader clientele.

Quick is a Belgium-based chain popular in Europe that offers low-priced hamburgers, french fries and other standard fast-food fare. There are Quick restaurants in towns all over France.

The Quick restaurant in Roubaix is among seven in France that since November have been serving halal-only food. Burgers once served with bacon now come with smoked beef instead of pork.

The company has said the goal of the halal-only restaurants is "to validate the commercial interest and technical feasibility of introducing such a selection of products based on halal meat."

France has western Europe's largest Muslim population, including many families with roots in former colonies in North Africa. There are many restaurants in France that serve halal-only fare, especially in neighborhoods with significant Muslim populations.

Vandierendonck said he did not object to the halal option, simply to the fact that there was no other.

"It's very good that a restaurant like Quick offers halal (meat), but why get rid of what there is everywhere else? The fact that they do not offer other choices to non-Muslim clients is not acceptable."

Halal, meaning "lawful" or "permissible" in Arabic, is a term for food that is prepared according to Islamic dietary law. Animals must be slaughtered following Quranic guidelines and in the name of Allah.

The city of Roubaix filed a discrimination complaint with the regional court in nearby Lille on Thursday. Quick officials did not immediately comment on the complaint, and it was unclear when a court might decide whether or not to hear it.

The case appears to have touched a nerve because Quick is a mainstream chain frequented by French consumers across the country across the ethnic and religious spectrum.

Though the idea of religious fast food amuses me. What a world I live in
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Wah. If they don't like it, they're not required to eat there.

We have a public pool which is paid for by all local rate-payers which has decided to close to non Muslims on Tuesdays so that Muslim women can swim.

Lame...
    Such is Life...

I like to say the word Halal.

halalhalalhalal

It's fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    We have a public pool which is paid for by all local rate-payers which has decided to close to non Muslims on Tuesdays so that Muslim women can swim.

Lame...
    So its preferable for them to pay to use something they won't ever use instead?

No, wait, it is lame. Is it because others object to the Muslim fully-covering swimwear, or because they don't want to be immodest even with their fully-covering swimwear in front of men?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Hey!! I complain because they do not serve chinese food in italian restaurants!! It is outrageous!!!

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    No, wait, it is lame. Is it because others object to the Muslim fully-covering swimwear, or because they don't want to be immodest even with their fully-covering swimwear in front of men?
    Muslim women and men are not allowed to bathe together. If Muslim women want to bathe - they need their own session when men aren't allowed to be present.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Muslim women and men are not allowed to bathe together. If Muslim women want to bathe - they need their own session when men aren't allowed to be present.
    I'm really not seeing the end of the world as we know it here, then. Unless your complaint is that they only get one afternoon a week.

What's wrong with a women-only hour or two every day?

I don't have a complaint.

Here in the UK there are Women only sessions at public pools.

No worries there. *shrugs*

Ooops, sorry Bukaroo. The original moaning was termite, not you.

I'm not particularly functional in the mornings. Almost finished my first pot of coffee, though, so things are looking up.

French xenophobia, take 1000. Unless this is the only fast food place in town, there is absolutely no reason for this action.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I have a few issues with this. First of all, why would they file a complaint? If people mind that much, they can just not go there. If plenty of people do that, they will probably lose money and stop doing it. Or they can just eat at Quick if they want a beef burger, and if they want bacon they can go somewhere else. Why would this be a problem? No one (including the government) seems to mind the thousands of kebab places that serve only halal food, why would a fast food chain be any different. (although curiously, the '100% halal' place in my street, which is also immensely popular with both muslims and non muslims, does serve pizzas with ham..)

And why can't Quick serve both halal and non halal food? Would serving non-halal food drive away muslims? Why would they have a problem with people eating bacon in the same place?

And why bother with Quick anyway? They are overpriced and taste crap.

Vandierendonck is an awesome name though.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Though the idea of religious fast food amuses me. What a world I live in
    We have halal food carts all over NYC. The food they sell is usually pretty good, and in addition to that its also frequented by Jews who try to maintain a kosher diet (since the dietary restrictions apparently are similar enough). So really this French thing is pretty damn stupid. Besides all of that, are any of them going to complain that they can't walk into a Starbucks and get a bacon cheeseburger because the Starbucks doesn't offer a "diversified" menu that caters to a broader clientele? How about McDonald's and veal? Or ox tail? Ridiculous...
    . . .

I knew it... this food thing must be a sionist conspiration to make muslims to die of starvation!!!

Hey how could such a stupid joke come to my mind??

Islam: war on lust.

So can non-muslim men bathe with muslim women?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Left my answer deliberately vague on that point cos I don't know.

Though I suspect that it's any men, not just muslim men.

Left my answer deliberately vague on that point cos I don't know.

Though I suspect that it's any men, not just muslim men.
    Probably worse bathing with infidel men. We're not even supposed to know they have women, are we?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

I think I will accuse McDonald's and Burger King because they do not offer Mexican tacos.

one of the dumbest ideas i've heard this month

what the hell is going on with that country???

someone should head-butt that mayor in the chest...
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by ar81 View Post
    I think I will accuse McDonald's and Burger King because they do not offer Mexican tacos.
    I have a serious problem that I can't get a burger at Taco Bell. DAMN it.
    The Rules

Something's not kosher here.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Something's not kosher here.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post

Lame...
    so, when are the muslim-only buses coming?