Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Massaschusetts Town Bans Sale of Small Bottles of Water

Default Massaschusetts Town Bans Sale of Small Bottles of Water

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Concord, Massachusetts bans sale of small water bottles

The US town of Concord in Massachusetts has banned the sale of bottled water in units smaller than one litre.

The law came into effect on January 1, after a three-year campaign to reduce waste and encourage tap water use.

First offenders will get a warning. Anyone caught selling the banned bottles a second time will be fined $25 (£15), with $50 for further offences.

The Australian town of Bundanoon introduced a complete ban on bottled water in 2009.

More than 90 universities in the US and others around the world have already restricted the sale of plastic bottles, as have some local government authorities.,

Concord has not introduced any restrictions on the sale of small bottles of other drinks, and the bylaw has an exemption in case of emergencies.

Campaigners say Americans consume 50 billion small bottles of water each year.

The bottled water industry says the small bottles are essential to modern life and encourage people to live healthier lifestyles.

But Jean Hill who led the campaign for the ban in Concord, told the New York Times: "What I'm trying to do with this bylaw is to increase the barriers to buying single-serve bottled water."

"In order to help people change, you need to put policies in place that steer them away from buying bottled water and toward considering the many other good alternatives."

Some of the town's residents argue the ban is pointless, as they can go down the road and buy small bottles from shops in neighbouring towns.

Ms Hill says she was inspired to begin her campaign by her grandson, who told her about a vast floating island of plastic waste in the Pacific Ocean.
    A good idea?
    Or Teh Evul Big Guvmint intefering in the lives of Joe and Jane Q Public again?

I for one have seen the rise and rise in the popularity of bottled water in the last decade or two with a little disdain. Tap water is absolutely fine in the UK, as it has been elsewhere on my travels. In London where I live it's ok but the taste isn't great so we use a water-filter. At work we have a water fountain which I use to refill my own flask for daily use.
    If we go out for the day, on bikes or otherwise, I always make sure we have adequate water on us.

TBH I'm surprised that this happened in the US before a more regulated Europe.

The article doesn't mention the recyclability of the plastic used in these bottles, nor gives any indication to what percentage is recycled.

My own feeling is that people should be more responsible in their habits. But of course people aren't, so perhaps the government should step in to force a change in people's habits. For the greater good innit. I am appalled at the havoc plastic waste wreaks, and bottles are a major contributor. Bags are another one, and that is something the UK is terrible with.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    I am appalled at the havoc plastic waste wreaks, and bottles are a major contributor. Bags are another one, and that is something the UK is terrible with.
    We have areas that are finally banning those too
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I for one have seen the rise and rise in the popularity of bottled water in the last decade or two with a little disdain. Tap water is absolutely fine in the UK, as it has been elsewhere on my travels. In London where I live it's ok but the taste isn't great so we use a water-filter. At work we have a water fountain which I use to refill my own flask for daily use.
    If we go out for the day, on bikes or otherwise, I always make sure we have adequate water on us.
    IDK, when I traveled to the USA I hated the tap water there - about as chlorinated as swimming pool water. I only drank bottled water there if I could help it (granted, from big bottles).
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    IDK, when I traveled to the USA I hated the tap water there - about as chlorinated as swimming pool water. I only drank bottled water there if I could help it (granted, from big bottles).
    I wish this was true, would save me a shit ton of money on pool chemicals

These bottles, and the people that buy them, have a special place in hell.
    Click to view the full version
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I wish this was true, would save me a shit ton of money on pool chemicals
    Well, it may have been somewhat of an overstatement but it really was very chlorinated, which also makes everything that it's used in (icecubes, etc) rather gross. Over here tap water doesn't have any chlorine, but even compared to most countries I've been in, it was shit in the US. And IIRC, while I was there there was a story in the newspapers there too about how shitty the tap water was..

I do occasionally buy 0,5 liter water bottles, because that's a practical size - not too little, but you can still easily carry it around. Perfect size for traveling, sports, etc. I do reuse them until they break, get too dirty, or simply lose them.

I imagine in a country the size of the US, tap water varies enormously.

Certainly on this liddle island where I live, the difference in taste/content of water is huge between London and my father's village in the West Country for example, or my other half's folks up in Western Scotland, where the tap water is the purest and nicest I've ever tasted.

Right, DC water sucked really bad, is what I meant then.

Over here it's a small country, the only difference I have noticed here is the hardness.

I imagine in a country the size of the US, tap water varies enormously.

Certainly on this liddle island where I live, the difference in taste/content of water is huge between London and my father's village in the West Country for example, or my other half's folks up in Western Scotland, where the tap water is the purest and nicest I've ever tasted.
    varies by county, there was a shitstorm a few months back because the county beside mine is run by tea party nutjobs who removed the fluoride because its government intrusion.

Right, DC water sucked really bad, is what I meant then.

Over here it's a small country, the only difference I have noticed here is the hardness.
    i can see that water being a little off. DC is built on a swamp/tidal plain and the poulation is so dense the water is recycled quite heavily.

varies by county, there was a shitstorm a few months back because the county beside is run by tea party nutjobs who remove the fluoride because its government intrusion.
    Funny thing is, that happened here decades ago, nationwide...

I do occasionally buy 0,5 liter water bottles, because that's a practical size - not too little, but you can still easily carry it around. Perfect size for traveling, sports, etc. I do reuse them until they break, get too dirty, or simply lose them.
    Yeah, that's what I do. A pack of six will easily last me six months or more.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I'm still rocking water bottles and canteens I got back in high school.

Ridiculous idea. So it's ok to sell 500ml of Coke but not water?

Bottled water may be silly but it's still far better for you than bottled sodas.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Incidentally the claim that tap water and bottle water are fully equivalent is BS. On a very hot summers day (or on an normal day in a hotter than average environment) a nice chilled bottle of water is far more refreshing than rather lukewarm straight from the tap water.

Now if you want a refrigerated beverage you need something less healthy than plain water. Progress?

99% of the time I'd choose tap>bottled, if at home I can and do put tap water into the fridge. But it's not always an option and at a previous job I used to regularly drink bottled unapologetically as it was frankly the better choice.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Incidentally the claim that tap water and bottle water are fully equivalent is BS.
    Over here in Germany it actually is BS.

Our tap water is of better quality than bottled water.
    In other news...
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Ridiculous idea. So it's ok to sell 500ml of Coke but not water?

Bottled water may be silly but it's still far better for you than bottled sodas.
    Thats an interesting way to view this
    No one said you can't sell 500ml of water. Whats banned is the 1 use water bottles under a litter. While water is better than soda, soda packaging provides the carbonation that your average consumer can't yet affordably do at home. Bottled water is water + bottle.

curious question, how many water bottling companies use a plant based plastic like Coke?

Incidentally the claim that tap water and bottle water are fully equivalent is BS. On a very hot summers day (or on an normal day in a hotter than average environment) a nice chilled bottle of water is far more refreshing than rather lukewarm straight from the tap water.

Now if you want a refrigerated beverage you need something less healthy than plain water. Progress?
    where are you at that sells refrigerated single use water bottles but no option for chilled tap water via fountains or dispensers?

Of course you can do carbonation at home. It's both easy and cheap: http://www.sodastream.com/

cheapest kit is $130...

then we get to buy refills ($5+). woot woot
    That christmas tree the kids built me sister used 36 cans of mountain dew that I bought as Sams Club for $5.

By that line of logic, a 100 ml bottle is better than a 500 ml bottle because the smaller bottle will be cheaper.

And I can buy the cheapest kit over here for 49€. Not sure what you're looking at.

I just showed that I can buy 36 cans of name brand pop for the same price as a refill (lets ignore shipping) that makes 32 cans. No investment required...

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    And I can buy the cheapest kit over here for 49€. Not sure what you're looking at.
    The site you linked points to a USA link, which shows options for a $130 or $150 model
    http://www.sodastreamusa.com/Source-Machines-C67.aspx

And that 4 cans difference makes it "not affordable"? In what world are you living in?

We were talking about "affordable", right? And not about other stuff like "worthwhile" or "cost efficient", right?

edit: You missed that one: http://www.sodastreamusa.com/Fountai...Kit--P149.aspx

And that 4 cans difference makes it "not affordable"? In what world are you living in?

We were talking about "affordable", right? And not about other stuff like "worthwhile" or "cost efficient", right?

edit: You missed that one: http://www.sodastreamusa.com/Fountai...Kit--P149.aspx
    You linked to a sparkling water maker (seriously, the description even calls it that). If we're talking about soda, you kinda need the soda mix.
    and no, a machine that costs at least $80, plus refills, that contains a carbonator that needs to be exchanged at a Bed Bath & Beyond (plus charge) is not affordable.

Aside from it not being affordable, its not worth it when you can buy 2L of soda for less than a buck, and not when the cans are cheaper than the refills.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 01-03-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Weird then that I was able to afford that very machine I linked to during my student years. Yes, and with soda mix. And "exchange at a Bed Bath & Beyond with charge"? Seriously? You open the machine, exchange the gas bottle and close the machine. It certainly beat having to lug around several liters of soda.

You were talking about the "average consumer". Are you trying to do a Lewkesque goal shift here and try to make terms mean something they don't? We're not talking about people who can barely make ends meet. Unless you want to relegate your country to the 3rd world?

Believe it or not, I don't have too much of a problem with this. I have some discomfort with the government (as a de-facto monopoly provider of water) regulating a theoretical competitor out of the business, but that's not what's happening here in practice. And plastic non-reusable water bottles are a real environmental problem that is easy to fix.

That said, we do have some very variable tap water here in the US. But that's an issue to be solved more locally.

On a related note, NYC is generally known for having some top-notch tap water. Arguably the best in the country (though there's been some ruckus about that of late). A while ago I was traveling and bought a bottle of water at the airport before a plane ride. The water was called "NYC20" or something. When reading the label carefully, it became clear that it was just NYC tap water put into a bottle.

If they are trying to cut down on waste then probably a more standardized law would be better. I agree with Rand if you can sell pop in that size why not the superior product water? If it's because pop bottles is made from some plant, then make it legal for water bottles of that size if you use that plant (or equivalent).

Weird then that I was able to afford that very machine I linked to during my student years. Yes, and with soda mix. And "exchange at a Bed Bath & Beyond with charge"? Seriously? You open the machine, exchange the gas bottle and close the machine. It certainly beat having to lug around several liters of soda.
    gas bottles that are only sold through bed bath and beyond or if you want to pay even more through the website.

and what does this have to do with imaginary people lugging around several liters of soda? who lugs around several liters of any drink?

You were talking about the "average consumer". Are you trying to do a Lewkesque goal shift here and try to make terms mean something they don't? We're not talking about people who can barely make ends meet. Unless you want to relegate your country to the 3rd world?
    there is no goal shift here
    your average soda consumer isn't going to consider an $80 machine plus parts and refills as affordable or worthwhile when the direct product is cheaper. I'm curious how many $80+ single purpose machines you expect to find in an average family's kitchen.

Even my microwave didn't cost that, so for this family that total would be... 0.

Who lugs around several liters of any drink?

I'm now introducing you to the concept of "buying a small inventory so you don't have to go shopping every day."

But you've probably never seen stuff like this:

I'm frankly astounded that you, as a family man, are not acquainted with the concept. Then again, it's probably your better half which does the shopping judging from your mindset which you have shown here.

i dont consider moving groceries from the trunk to the kitchen as having to lug something around but if its that big a deal for you we have Amazon Prime over here to take care of that. Thats how I handle the cat and dog food now.

not sure where the rest of the nastiness is coming from considering I've already mentioned how a small inventory of 36 cans (which we have photographic evidence of having been purchased) is cheaper then the product you've linked to. I could buy more I guess and make the self carbonator look even more pointless?

but if you need to know, our bulk bottled soda general looks like this:

---

stepping aside from whatever khen is ranting on how. I'm curious if this will perhaps open a new market for a local business. Schools have been serving their juices and milks in plastic bags for at least a decade, and wine boxes take a similar approach. So why not water?

Thats an interesting way to view this
    No one said you can't sell 500ml of water. Whats banned is the 1 use water bottles under a litter. While water is better than soda, soda packaging provides the carbonation that your average consumer can't yet affordably do at home. Bottled water is water + bottle.
    Bottled water = Water + Bottle + Refrigeration - a price worth paying for sometimes.

If you're going to ban 500ml of water you ought to ban 500ml of soda too. To only ban the healthiest choice is undefendable. There is no reason 500ml of Coke is better than 500ml of water.
    curious question, how many water bottling companies use a plant based plastic like Coke?
    Given that Coke IS a water bottling company ...
    where are you at that sells refrigerated single use water bottles but no option for chilled tap water via fountains or dispensers?
    I used to work for Domino's Pizza. We sold exclusively Coke products, including still Mineral Water.

When working on a really busy day on the oven (multiple conveyor belt ovens each pumping out heat at ~240C (465F)) building up a sweat in a kitchen that would often reach 30C+ (86F+) even in the UK with just a short time to grab a drink ... It was really refreshing to grab a bottle of water out of the Coke Fridge, down it, before washing hands and getting back on the oven. There were plain taps we used for washing, most were heated but even the cold taps didn't get that cold. We also had no glass or cups allowed in the building as a safety rule. Even if there was though, I wouldn't want lukewarm tap water over a nice cold bottle.

Very few customers bought water, most bought soda, but water was possibly the third-highest selling beverage due to Staff Discount purchases. Staff Discount on drinks we provided was basically at cost (actually we made a small loss on staff 500ml bottles) and water was also the cheapest option. I doubt we ever made much if anything on water sales, it was provided primarily for the staff but available for customers if they wanted it. If water was removed as an option then I'd have switched to Diet Coke or Fanta, not tap water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Believe it or not, I don't have too much of a problem with this. I have some discomfort with the government (as a de-facto monopoly provider of water) regulating a theoretical competitor out of the business, but that's not what's happening here in practice. And plastic non-reusable water bottles are a real environmental problem that is easy to fix.
    How is it any more of a problem than plastic non-reusable cola bottles? Besides bottles can be recycled anyway.

What about on a hot day while at the beach or eg Central Park? I can go to a store/stall and buy a bottle of Coke but not water?

If you're talking of banning 500ml bottles totally then that'd be one thing, but to only ban the healthiest product on the market is absurd.
    Last edited by RandBlade; 01-03-2013 at 09:39 PM.

How is it any more of a problem than plastic non-reusable cola bottles? Besides bottles can be recycled anyway.
    There is extensive infrastructure in place to deliver water from pipes. There is no such infrastructure in place to deliver sodas to every/many homes and businesses.

From an environmental perspective, the delivery of bottled water is hugely wasteful in terms of the energy spent to produce and ship those bottles.