Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vat-Grown Pork

Default Re: Vat-Grown Pork

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan
    Quote Originally Posted by termite
    Dammit I want my meat to have been running around happily before I kill and eat it - no bubbling away in a vat FFS!
    You mean killing a living thing brings you culinary pleasure? Do you masturbate to such thoughts?
    The special sauce has to come from somewhere.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith
    I can taste the suffering. Makes the meat taste better.
    Did I read somewhere that fear flavors the meat?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged
    Quote Originally Posted by termite
    Dammit I want my meat to have been running around happily before I kill and eat it - no bubbling away in a vat FFS!
    You mean killing a living thing brings you culinary pleasure? Do you masturbate to such thoughts?
    Huh. It never occurred to me that he would masturbate onto his fright seasoned meat patty.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Huh. It never occurred to me that he would masturbate onto his fright seasoned meat patty.
    You weren't wanting him to waste it, would you?

You may embed only 3 quotes within each other. That's a wee bit annoying. To be fair, all the nesting is, but if it is going to do it, the least it could do is not be picky about it. Wraithy, honey, please...

The style I'm using doesn't allow quote nesting at all. Very annoying.
    The Rules

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.

I've heard that the last minute adrenaline toughens the meat, making it harder to cook and generally not as good. Not sure how true that is, probably not very.
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

You may embed only 3 quotes within each other. That's a wee bit annoying. To be fair, all the nesting is, but if it is going to do it, the least it could do is not be picky about it. Wraithy, honey, please...
    I know, I'm working on adding in some code to make it auto-strip out nested quotes when you click the quote button. But it's not ready yet.

I know, I'm working on adding in some code to make it auto-strip out nested quotes when you click the quote button. But it's not ready yet.
    Thank you.

I can taste the suffering. Makes the meat taste better.
    I saw a program on German TV once where they did physiological tests on meat from animals slaughtered under different conditions. It turned out that meat of animals slaughtered on the farm in a (relatively) stressfree environment had a better cell structure and was less watery. According to the presenter it also tasted better (but that's subjective again) for this reason.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Vernum
    I've heard that the last minute adrenaline toughens the meat, making it harder to cook and generally not as good. Not sure how true that is, probably not very.
    That might have been it.
    The Rules

that's halfway to growing vat-organs for transplantation. very good.

So how long after widespread adoption of vat-grown meats do we start adding our former edible animals to the protected species lists? We've spent thousands of years breeding them to be delicious, docile, and fit nicely into a farm-raised lifestyle. This isn't exactly going to turn itself around quickly, nor is it going to be profitable.
    . . .

Sheep still produce wool, and cows still produce milk. Uh, pigs are fucked, I guess.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Pigs are funny to look at. I think that should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions
    So how long after widespread adoption of vat-grown meats do we start adding our former edible animals to the protected species lists? We've spent thousands of years breeding them to be delicious, docile, and fit nicely into a farm-raised lifestyle. This isn't exactly going to turn itself around quickly, nor is it going to be profitable.
    I've wondered that in the context of PETA. If they ever got what they wanted, farm animals would go extinct without some kind of preservation program. Is that what they want? Don't be cruel and eat a cow, let it's entire species go extinct instead? In an evolutionary sense, the argument can be made that food animal species are actually very successful, but only as long as we like eating them. Imagine if in the future the pig genome only exists in vat grown meat...
    The Rules

"Part of our enjoyment of eating meat depends on the very complicated muscle and fat structure...whether that can be replicated is still a question."

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Vernum
    And of course the natural follow up question: Would you eat it if it were human?
    (I might try it, but I'm not fond of white meat.)

I got some home grown sausage for ya. hahahahahahahahahah

[strike:ejxaovye]Ban thread[/strike:ejxaovye], lock user.

Quote Originally Posted by Weber
    I got some home grown sausage for ya. hahahahahahahahahah
    After you've been slaughtered and ground up, would you like to be packed into a pork or beef casing?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint
    Sheep still produce wool, and cows still produce milk. Uh, pigs are fucked, I guess.
    Just about every part of a hog can be used. Ask a 4-H kid. Our state fair always has booths that show where animal parts go, from gelatin powder to Kodak film and baggie production.

One of our more disgusting snack foods uses pig skin to make fried pork rinds. (ew)

edit yes, they have to be butchered first.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT

Just about every part of a hog can be used. Ask a 4-H kid. Our state fair always has booths that show where animal parts go, from gelatin powder to Kodak film and baggie production.

One of our more disgusting snack foods uses pig skin to make fried pork rinds. (ew)

edit yes, they have to be butchered first.
    Pork rinds are disgusting.
    The Rules

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to use sow milk.

Cows and goats aren't the only lactating animals....

Quote Originally Posted by GGT
    I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to use sow milk.

Cows and goats aren't the only lactating animals....
    Sounds disgusting. I'd think a sow would be difficult to milk, being so fat and low to the ground. No giraffes, on the other hand, might be ideal...
    The Rules

This will take off once they figure out how to hybridise animals with plants and grow meat-plants.

Or perhaps once we figure out how to make good culture media for animal tissue without using animal serum we will get there, if there's a market for it, and there will be.

Or maybe we will grow brainless giant cows... I don't know, but this is all certainly very exciting

Minxie!
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    This will take off once they figure out how to hybridise animals with plants and grow meat-plants.

Or perhaps once we figure out how to make good culture media for animal tissue without using animal serum we will get there, if there's a market for it, and there will be.

Or maybe we will grow brainless giant cows... I don't know, but this is all certainly very exciting
    Heh, meat plants. I wonder what they'd smell like. Feilds of chicken legs with leaves. Yalza.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnie View Post
    Minxie!
    Hell yo!

Hell yo!
    I never liked Minx. I'm glad you're here instead.
    The Rules

Hell yo!
    No, not Aimless, Minx! I demand a Mod change this horrendous misnomer...
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    No, not Aimless, Minx! I demand a Mod change this horrendous misnomer...
    Why?
    The Rules