Thread: Thorium reactors

Default Thorium reactors

Would you like to see the world gradually transition to widespread use of various kinds of thorium reactors?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I would like to see the world produce more nuclear-powered electricity overall. Thorium or not. Obviously the Thorium fuel cycle costs more money and is more labor intensive, but with the right investment and branding it could reduce some of the scare factor present among many of the masses.

I don't know what's different about thorium sorry. I'd like to see more cheap fuel generation whether nuclear or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I thought everyone in the power-generation research field were still gunning for fusion as the answer to all our safe power needs?

Would you guys be okay with eg Iran having thorium reactors?

Forgive me for being skeptical about something that hasn't actually worked properly, yet. They tend to overlook some of the downsides. Plus, it's quite a lot more expensive, depending on which type you use.

Edit: and keep in mind that first generation reactors of any kind tend to be (a lot) less safe, since there are so many unknown peculiarities about a design you simply won't know before you build it. Take Three Miles Island for example, there something happened that no one knew could happen.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Would you guys be okay with eg Iran having thorium reactors?
    I've read it's harder to extract weapons-grade uranium from thorium reactors, which begs the question of if Iran would even want thorium reactors.

You could put it to the test and offer them a thorium reactor

I doubt an offer for a plant that might work in 50 years has much effect Thorium based reactors (which is rather broad because there are plenty of designs out there) also have proliferation issues, by the way.