Thread: The end of humanity.

Default The end of humanity.

You heard it here first, folks. Well.. maybe that's a little bit of exaggeration. Or not.

"Who could have guessed that Canadians would destroy mankind?"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...rticle7260055/

Chris Eliasmith’s brain may not be the biggest in the world – but it’s the biggest one that works.

As director of the Centre for Theoretical Neuroscience at the University of Waterloo, Prof. Eliasmith heads a team of researchers who have built Spaun (for Semantic Pointer Architecture Unified Network), the world’s largest simulation of a functioning brain – the latest and perhaps most advanced step in scientists’ quest to model human intelligence in synthetic form.

Larger models of the brain exist, he explains, as do machines that perform cognitive tasks better. But Spaun is unique because it both mimics the structure of the human brain and does intelligent tasks.

“There are other models out there that have 500 billion neurons in them,” Prof. Eliasmith says, referring to a brain designed by IBM. “But they don’t do anything. Our model is only 2.5 million neurons, but it actually does things.”

That makes Spaun still just a small fraction of the size of the human brain, which contains something on the order of 80 billion neurons and is the most complex structure known to humanity.

Developed with both federal and provincial government support, Spaun contains 20 anatomical areas, compared with the brain’s 1,000 or so, and is the culmination of work Prof. Eliasmith – a self-described “military brat” who grew up on bases across the country, including Moose Jaw, Sask. – has been doing since grad school.

Rather than code, he says, the only input Spaun gets “are visual images, just like people.” Equipped with a virtual “arm” to scrawl its responses, it can perform eight tasks, some simple (such as counting) and other less so (finding unknown math patterns in intelligence tests).

Unlike other simulated brains, it can switch tasks based on what it sees. So, when shown a series of numbers such 0093-93, 0053-53, 0023…, Spaun knows that 23 will complete the pattern.

The researchers have posted videos http://nengo.ca/build-a-brain/spaunvideos/ in which Spaun works through problems and then signals the “muscles” in its virtual arm which answer to write. “It has to send out commands telling how much tension to put on each of those muscles to draw the digits you can see,” Prof. Eliasmith explains.

He balks at the suggestion that Spaun is a form of artificial intelligence. Although able to answer some questions asked on an IQ test, it has “nowhere near the sophistication of human intelligence.” And neither can it master completely new tasks, the way a real brain can, he writes in a paper his team published recently in Science.

But that will change, if Prof. Eliasmith gets his way. He and his students are trying to improve Spaun to the point that it can be taught new tricks – through positive and negative reinforcement (in the form of “that’s good” and “that’s not good”).

Spaun’s commitment to solving problems the same, limited way the human brain does sets it apart from forms of artificial intelligence such as Watson, IBM’s Jeopardy-playing computer, or the chess champ Deep Blue.

“Their goal is to do some function as well as, or better than, people,” Prof. Eliasmith says of such rivals. “But they don’t care how they do it. They take approaches that are totally foreign to the way the human brain works. We really want to understand how the biological components are interacting.”

That way, he explains, researchers can both build smarter machines and begin to figure out how such things as aging damage the brain.

“One interesting thing about this model is, because it acts like a brain, we wanted it to fail like a brain too,” says Prof. Eliasmith, whose book about his research (appropriately titled How To Build A Brain) is slated to appear in April.

When Spaun is asked to recall a long string of numbers, it has trouble remembering the digits in the middle – just like humans. It also makes mistakes at the same rate as we do.

Amazingly, Spaun will even declare when it doesn’t know the answer to a question – something many of us are loath to do.

It will rap.

On the grave of humanity.

It's cool, but I don't think this is the right path towards strong AI. The same things they complain about in competing projects are the things that I think make them better. We didn't learn to fly until we stopped trying to mimic birds, and I think we should be going the same way with AI. I'm going to be worried if the first project that gets there does it by strict modeling of the human brain - I'd rather see AI that's developed without all the weirdness, flaws, biases, and errors in human cognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    It's cool, but I don't think this is the right path towards strong AI. The same things they complain about in competing projects are the things that I think make them better. We didn't learn to fly until we stopped trying to mimic birds, and I think we should be going the same way with AI. I'm going to be worried if the first project that gets there does it by strict modeling of the human brain - I'd rather see AI that's developed without all the weirdness, flaws, biases, and errors in human cognition.
    About that bird mimicing thing, the Wright bros did model the cross-sectional shape of a bird's wing which enabled their airplane's wings to generate lift. Yes their plane didn't flap its wings, like other attempts at flight, but it did incorporate bird 'technology.'

RE strong AI, imho it will likely come from a mix of neuron-like structure, especially the plasticity aspect of organic brains, which this model doesn't appear to have, and optimization/ development using some sort of natural selection based system. It will only be partially engineered, the other part having 'evolved' semi-randomly. And when it happens, my guess is it won't be easy to immediately understand how or why it is working.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

AI is just code that simulates being smart, but it is not smart, just a well made algorithm.
    It looks like a camera with image processor, attached to a robotic arm and precoded actions.
    A good excuse to spend public money and add to the deficit.
    Last edited by ar81; 01-22-2013 at 03:11 PM.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    About that bird mimicing thing, the Wright bros did model the cross-sectional shape of a bird's wing which enabled their airplane's wings to generate lift. Yes their plane didn't flap its wings, like other attempts at flight, but it did incorporate bird 'technology.'

RE strong AI, imho it will likely come from a mix of neuron-like structure, especially the plasticity aspect of organic brains, which this model doesn't appear to have, and optimization/ development using some sort of natural selection based system. It will only be partially engineered, the other part having 'evolved' semi-randomly. And when it happens, my guess is it won't be easy to immediately understand how or why it is working.
    Or recognized by the people in the midst of transition...today's word for evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Or recognized by the people in the midst of transition...today's word for evolution.
    Just thinking - if you consider that Mind is an emergent property of the functioning of billions of interconnected neuron cells, all of which are nourished by trillions of specialized cells in the human body that function together as a complex self-sustaining system, its not hard to make the analogy to human civilization - or even individual human nations. Just as our individual cells are completely unaware of the whole organism and its Mind, it might be that an emergent intelligence spawned by the growth, spread and interconnection of humanity's information systems might be equally inaccessible and inscruitable to individual humans. Further, the emergent mind may recognize that it's "body," human civilization, is necessary for it's existance and seek to maintain it's own health similar to how we maintain the health of our own bodies. Not sure what that would look like or mean to us....
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

The human body/mind isn't a self-sustaining or isolated system, though. We rely on others and societies to stay alive. Even our individual cells communicate with the body whole, including the brain, conscious and sub-conscious.

Take pain as one example -- it's a highly complicated state. Whether it's phantom, referred, or psychosomatic, pain engages the whole body and brain. Some pain is "pleasurable", like the kind we get from a hard workout that stresses muscles, but releases endorphins along with lactic acid production. Even comatose people will react to painful stimulus. Paraplegics who can't 'feel' extremity pain will still suffer injuries -- the body has its own brain that way -- and doesn't need the Mind to interpret.

I'm amazed by that Iraq vet who lost ALL his limbs and had a double-arm transplant recently. He said losing his legs wasn't nearly as bad as losing his arms, since we "talk" and gesture with our hands, we use our hands to feed ourselves, to manipulate tools, to create things; they're vital for communication and independence. *but also part of our personality* (It's not like he had feet to compensate, like some amazing people have done.)

Strokes and brain diseases are totally different from spinal cord injuries or amputations. Some of the newest technology is connecting hardware to the brain, using memory and sheer will to energize neurons or create new pathways (Hawkins). It's also amazing that Ariel Sharon, who's been comatose for years after a stroke, shows brain activity when shown pics of his family or hears their voice. *I'm under the impression that's based on hard science, unlike the Terry Schiavo case.*

Anyway....human civilization won't survive or evolve very well if we continue to think Individuals matter more than the Whole. Small scale and big picture both....politically, environmentally, intellectually. We have maxims for that: penny wise but pound foolish, throwing baby out with bathwater, cutting off one's nose to spite the face, etc.
    Last edited by GGT; 01-31-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: *