Thread: Finally, all is right with the world

Default Finally, all is right with the world

Phew.... everything is all right now. Tiger has apologized.
    Displaying none of the fist-pumping bravado that has punctuated his already legendary playing career, Tiger Woods reentered public life on Friday morning with a prepared statement delivered at PGA Tour headquarters in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. By turns solemn, shaky and defiant, Woods repeatedly apologized for the "irresponsible and selfish behavior I engaged in." Addressing a small, hand-picked audience that included his mother, Tida, former Stanford teammate Notah Begay and PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem, Woods told both his audience and a riveted TV viewership, "I know I have bitterly disappointed all of you. I have made you question who I am and how I could have done the things I did. I am embarrassed I have put you in this position. For all that I have done, I am so sorry. I have a lot to atone for."

Dressed in a blue blazer, Woods had glassy eyes and his voice was occasionally shaky, but he displayed a more characteristic fight in defending his wife, Elin, and demanding privacy for his family during his 13-minute address. Woods did not offer any details about the car crash in the early morning hours of Nov. 27 that touched off the tabloid feeding-frenzy and ultimately devoured his image as a clean-cut family man.

But alluding to speculation that a quarrel with Elin may have precipitated the smashup, Woods said, "There has never been an episode of domestic violence in our marriage. Ever. Elin has displayed enormous grace and poise throughout this ordeal. Elin deserves praise, not blame." Talking directly to the media, Woods said, "Whatever my wrongdoings, for the sake of my family, please leave my wife and kids alone."

Woods offered few clues to a golf community that is anxious to know when he will return to action. Acknowledging that he has been in therapy "receiving guidance for the issues I was facing," Woods said that "starting tomorrow I will leave for more treatment and more therapy." He added, "I do plan to return to golf one day. I just don't when that day will be. I don't rule out it will be this year."

But this solemn gathering was about Woods's failings away from the golf course. "I stopped living by the core values I was taught to believe in," he said. "It is up to me to start living a life of integrity. I once heard, and I believe to be true, it's not what you achieve in life that matters, it's what you overcome. Character and decency are what really count." Woods rightfully acknowledged that he has a long way to go to regain the trust and respect of his family, friends and fans.

The greatest moment of Woods's golf career — the record 12-stroke victory at the 1997 Masters that launched a juggernaut — ended with an iconic hug with his father, Earl (who died in 2006). That teary embrace helped shape Woods's image as a decent young man with an extraordinary talent.

After completing his statement on Friday morning, Woods haltingly walked to the front row of seated guests and embraced his mother in a long, teary hug. Thus concluded the lowest moment of Tiger Woods's public life. Where he goes from here will continue to be the biggest story in sports.
    Source

Maybe his therapy will include a threesome.

Shit, I thought this was another Civ V thread.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

To be honest, I don't see the need for him to publicly apologize for his personal affairs or how it's any of our business.

Celebrity life..ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowheart View Post
    To be honest, I don't see the need for him to publicly apologize for his personal affairs or how it's any of our business.

Celebrity life..ugh.
    It would require an effort for me to care less.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Would you care less for a Klondike bar?

Would you care less for a Klondike bar?
    #1. IIRC they're made with milk chocolate. Yuck.

#2. It's been a long time since I've had one and I seem to recall they are very sloppy to eat.

#3. Plus, they make you fat.

So, no thank you.
    The Rules

Celebrity life..ugh.
    Damage control and revitalizing his marketable skills, that's what it is. I agree, celebrity life must suck. Sure hope they think it's worth the trade-off. It must be really hard to be faced with those choices.

It's not like he can decide to quietly retire from public life and never play golf again.....regardless of what happens with his marriage or family life, once you hit that level of Fame, no matter what they do it's "news". Yuck.

I'm glad to be anonymous and generally average, but I never had a true talent or genius for anything, so.....

The reaction to Tiger's infidelities is an unfortunate sign of the general hypocrisy of society. A great deal of people, men and women, cheat on their spouses. Very few of them lose their livelihoods over it. Only those in the public eye need worry about such things, sad. Fame is bitch.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

I found his apology a bit too "staged" (I guess that's as good a word for it as any.) and not terribly sincere. I might have felt differently if he had apologized right after it all came out, but waiting this long made it seem phony to me.

I'm glad to be anonymous and generally average, but I never had a true talent or genius for anything, so.....
    I approve of this statement, and completely agree!

Off topic but oh well! YAY Jim made it!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
    The reaction to Tiger's infidelities is an unfortunate sign of the general hypocrisy of society. A great deal of people, men and women, cheat on their spouses. Very few of them lose their livelihoods over it. Only those in the public eye need worry about such things, sad. Fame is bitch.
    Those other people don't earn hundreds of millions from having a squeaky clean image.
    Hope is the denial of reality

The guy's next worry is going to be when the PGA gets serious about eliminating steroid abuse.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Those other people don't earn hundreds of millions from having a squeaky clean image.
    And here I was thinking he made millions playing golf. So all it takes is living in a squeaky clean life and the millions will come rolling in ?
    Congratulations America

Funny. I thought Tiger earned hundreds of millions because he could hitting balls with his stick, not from having a "squeaky clean image."

edit: Fuck you, Hazir. This is what I get for responding before I get to the end.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    And here I was thinking he made millions playing golf. So all it takes is living in a squeaky clean life and the millions will come rolling in ?
    A) He made far more from endorsements than from playing golf.
    B) His PR people made it a point to project a squeaky clean image of himself. The golfing success was only half the formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    The guy's next worry is going to be when the PGA gets serious about eliminating steroid abuse.
    Tiger used roids?

Celebrity life..ugh.
    Ditto. If he wants to bang georgeous women behind his wifes back that's his business - he has nothing to be sorry to me for.

It is his family he owes a debt....
    Such is Life...

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    I was rolling in here, hoping to make a Pippa Passes joke, and it turned out to be about Tiger Woods. bah.

I hold the same position as rum though, it's nobodies business except Tiger's and his wife's.
    I enjoy blank walls.

Again, you people fail to understand that a large reason athletes get endorsements (and this applies to Tiger more than any other athlete) is because of their off the field image. Most of these athletes hire PR firms to create a certain image for themselves in order to get more endorsements. They can't complain about losing those endorsements when they demonstrate that their image is a mirage.

Again, you people fail to understand that a large reason athletes get endorsements (and this applies to Tiger more than any other athlete) is because of their off the field image. Most of these athletes hire PR firms to create a certain image for themselves in order to get more endorsements. They can't complain about losing those endorsements when they demonstrate that their image is a mirage.
    Exactly. Brand endoresments are about instilling a sense of faith in the products. When your personal life is riddled with lies and deception, why is anyone going to believe you truly have faith in the products you endorse?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Ditto for politicians.

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Exactly. Brand endoresments are about instilling a sense of faith in the products. When your personal life is riddled with lies and deception, why is anyone going to believe you truly have faith in the products you endorse?
    I don't really think anyone actually believes that celebrities ever actually use the products they endorse.
    Sure, there are exceptions, but most celebrity endorsements don't make any sense.
    I enjoy blank walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermarioman View Post
    I don't really think anyone actually believes that celebrities ever actually use the products they endorse.
    What? You mean the celebrity with the fantastic hair doesn't use the cheap-ass shampoo she's trying to convince me to buy? Those are the most ridiculous ones to me...
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.