Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Glass

Default Google Glass

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/22/40...onthly-updates

A wonderful future is soon here check out the demo video from Google too
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

This makes me wonder which is the product that is going to leave me truly curmudgeonly, unwilling to try and ultimately left behind in a previous generation of computing.

The Google Glass stuff seems beautiful from a UI perspective, but I can't imagine wearing anything on my face for the sake of computing.

I'm not seeing what you need to wear a HUD for that you can't get fom a smartphone in your pocket. A bridge too far perhaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I'm not seeing what you need to wear a HUD for that you can't get fom a smartphone in your pocket. A bridge too far perhaps.
    augmented reality. its possible on a phone, but only truely works when you're looking through the phone's lens. hence the point of google glass.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 02-23-2013 at 03:19 AM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

It's not a Phone, it's an internet device that also has a call and message function. I'd get and use one if they reach a stadium where voice commands really work and they are at a reasonable price level. Would be even neater if they could project e-books and movies.
    Congratulations America

augmented reality. its possible on a phone, but only truely works when you're looking through the phone's lens. hence the point of google glass.
    I get what it is, just not what the point is. Novelty makes it interesting but does it solve a problem that needs solving?

I could be wrong and it could be the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Well I have glasses anyway, I assume you will get corrected Google glass as well. So that would be interesting. Did they solve the battery life problem yet?
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

I'm not seeing what you need to wear a HUD for that you can't get fom a smartphone in your pocket.
    It's like using a wireless hands-free headset only better. I'm guessing you actually can use it as a wireless headset which is sweet considering the bone-conduction approach You don't have to pause, you don't have to take out your phone and get it ready, you don't have to look away from the world. I think the photo, video and GPS capabilities alone may make it very useful but I can also imagine useful applications eg. at work (putting aside the issue of looking like a weirdo ). It'd be useful for lectures and presentations too. You wouldn't have to take out your phone just to check the time, just tilt your head ever-so-slightly upwards. No doubt you'd shortly get the ability do useful things like measuring, image searching etc.

I like the touchpad on the device but I'd prefer to have a touchpad in the form of a ring worn on the index finger.

I get what it is, just not what the point is. Novelty makes it interesting but does it solve a problem that needs solving?

I could be wrong and it could be the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    It opens up the possibility of not having to break away from your immediate surroundings in order "look up" something. Imagine being able to simply look at something and immediately learn more about it. Strike up a conversation with someone and learn via google glass if they have an arrest record of any sort. Take a shopping trip and immediately know if you're getting the best price on an item. How often a house gets rob, or if its in foreclosure, simply by walking in front of it.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

They have reached the common people, airing TV commercials for GoogleGlass. They initially asked for willing guinea-pigs, but were overwhelmed by too many requests. The beta price is around $1,500, which sounds pretty low considering the bundling effect.

The fashion industry has been "invited" to share in the profits designs of form and function. I wonder what Louis Sullivan would say about this.

BUT THE FEATURE EVERYONE IS GOING TO GO CRAZY WITH IS GLASS’ ABILITY TO TAKE PHOTOS
    AND VIDEO WITH A "YOU ARE THERE" VIEW

Sorry, but that's just peddling false emotion in order to sell a product.

Just imagine how the numbers of candid photography will rise, this is the stuff the German Anti-Tech thread will be made of in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    BUT THE FEATURE EVERYONE IS GOING TO GO CRAZY WITH IS GLASS’ ABILITY TO TAKE PHOTOS

I see you don't have any people who share pictures of their every meal on facebook yet ?
    Congratulations America

That happens less and less on my Facebook

yeah, thats mainly an instagram thing at this point.

Oh right, i installed that but never actually used it

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Less and less is happening on my Facebook in general.

How is that false information?

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I kid you not, one minute after I posted that, somebody's McDonald's menu on my activity stream.

Edit : and after I posted this somebody's chicken and rice.
    Congratulations America

I would hope those were your friends' simulposts from Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    Just imagine how the numbers of candid photography will rise, this is the stuff the German Anti-Tech thread will be made of in a few years.

I feel like this concept has a lot of potential. It's not so exciting to think you can take pictures with these glasses (or glass frame rather) or live-stream from them, but imagine the other possibilities. Imagine going to Rome and being able to see a photo-realistic overlay of what Rome used to look like, or an animated Colosseum full of fans and fighting gladiators. The initial technology itself isn't that great, but its potential is amazing, especially as a learning tool.
    Praise the man who seeks the truth, but run from the one who has found it.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    As a sidenote, I think this is a pretty cool peripheral if they can make it work:

https://getmyo.com/
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

meh. I don't see how that addresses the main problem with moving past the mouse, gorilla arm. I'm much more interested in brainwave biofeedback. Its still primitive and the last time I saw it as a consumer product was as a Star Wars toy, but its out there, and its slowly making progress.

Well, the voice command thing is one of my concerns with Google Glass. How is it possible to use it in public without making a fool out of yourself (like those retarded Siri users.)

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    How is that false information?
    I said false emotion. People worried about capturing 'the moment' aren't fully present.

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    Well, the voice command thing is one of my concerns with Google Glass. How is it possible to use it in public without making a fool out of yourself (like those retarded Siri users.)
    People act like fools every day in public, with nothing but a cell phone and hands-free devices. It's pretty irritating IMO.

I said false emotion. People worried about capturing 'the moment' aren't fully present.
    And they said "view". Moreover, you don't exactly have to keep fiddling with it and a moment usually lasts several moments anyway.

Whatever. Just don't forget to put your GoogleGlasses in the baby-birthing "necessities" bag.

BTW, you might have to sign a legal agreement for using that technology, limiting any future injury law suit captured on the GoogleGlasses.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    meh. I don't see how that addresses the main problem with moving past the mouse, gorilla arm.
    If they make it sensitive enough, you could do the same with small gestures instead of the large sweeping ones in the ad. I mean, when using the Wii controller, you also don't actually need to swing your arms around like a mad man.

Theoretically, it could also work with your arms lying on a table, typing on it.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    If they make it sensitive enough, you could do the same with small gestures instead of the large sweeping ones in the ad. I mean, when using the Wii controller, you also don't actually need to swing your arms around like a mad man.

Theoretically, it could also work with your arms lying on a table, typing on it.
    No with the Wii you don't, but then there's sensors inside the Wii Remote and its still less pinpoint accurate than a mouse. While the Kinect is an interesting development beyond the Wii it is even less accurate/easy to control IMO than the Wii Remote let alone the mouse. Both the Kinect and Wii work well with gestures (not got the PS Move) the mouse remains king for accuracy.