Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transgender Middle Students and Locker Rooms

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    You won't see one. How many court cases do you hear about for a child suing their parent for how they were raised? I'm guessing the answer is "none" and that's because they don't get brought. Lawyers won't touch them because there's no case to be made and nothing for the plaintiff to get out of a lawsuit.
    You can win civil damages for abuse...

I vaguely recall a case of child abuse that included forcing a different sex, but I'm not sure that was fiction.

And yeah, I thought Lewk was in favour of parents deciding everything for their kids, too.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    You can win civil damages for abuse...
    You think so? Why don't you go dig up a case citation or two of that happening. Kids can't sue. Adults can but if it is a guardian or someone else acting on behalf of the kid then it isn't a suit of child vs parent as you laid out and if it is an adult suing because of what happened when they were a child then they've got a massive problem successfully pursuing the case because of the time delay between the injury and seeking redress. That also significantly reduces the scope of any compensatory or punitive damages they'd have any chance of receiving. Further reducing any chance of winning is the fact that the child presumably did not take available measures to put an end to the allegedly intolerable and damaging situation like alleging abuse to social services or seeking emancipated minor status. You don't see these cases even when the parent was arrested for child abuse because by the time the kid could sue the abusive parent is pretty much judgement-proof (i.e. no longer has the assets to pay damages capable of covering the legal fees much less provide something worth winning).

No Lewk. You might see someone *probably a divorced spouse* suing a parent alleging they're abusing the child by assuming they're transgendered but you're not going to see what originally laid out.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/02/...-get-abortion/
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=3592,5244114 (OK This is one is borderline...)
    http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/12-...190600659.html

I agree that you can't get blood from a stone so yes the suit is unlikely but it may be a principal thing. There are some sick weirdos out there who will try to get their children to confirm to their own sick perversions. If a man with "gender disorder" pretends to be a woman and then tries to get the child to do the same thing... yeah that is some sick shit. And even if it does occur I'm sure the media will bury the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I recall you usually oppose such cases.
    Spanking != abuse. Telling a girl they are a boy or a boy they are girl is abuse.

Spanking != abuse. Telling a girl they are a boy or a boy they are girl is abuse.
    That would be a super hot topic, and get tons of reads/viewers, they wouldn't bury the story. I think Jon Stewart put it well when he said the main stream media tends towards laziness, penny saving, and sensationalism when it comes to airing content (i added the penny saving bit). If the story will get a lot of hits they're going to post it.

each new source may have a different slant on it, but if it's going to be a hot topic they'll at least air it.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/02/...-get-abortion/
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=3592,5244114 (OK This is one is borderline...)
    http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/12-...190600659.html

I agree that you can't get blood from a stone so yes the suit is unlikely but it may be a principal thing. There are some sick weirdos out there who will try to get their children to confirm to their own sick perversions. If a man with "gender disorder" pretends to be a woman and then tries to get the child to do the same thing... yeah that is some sick shit. And even if it does occur I'm sure the media will bury the story.
    As I said, you can see an adult suing a parent on a child's behalf. And that first citation is a teen receiving injuntive relief while working toward emancipated minor status. 's got nothing to do with suing a parent for how they were raised. Maybe I misunderstood your first post but I got the impression you were talking about someone seeking to punish/be compensated for being raised the wrong gender (something the trans community isn't getting any headway on now for being compelled to fit their gender to their sex by confused/non-comprehending/oppositional parents) in opposition to their sex. If not, what were you talking about?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I love Lewk's use of quotation marks and the weaselly wording of course
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Then be prepared for ensuing medical malpractice law suits. A physician is required to denote gender on every birth certificate, but gender identity can't be proven by chromosomal tests.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Then be prepared for ensuing medical malpractice law suits. A physician is required to denote gender on every birth certificate, but gender identity can't be proven by chromosomal tests.
    Outside of *rare* circumstances (and we don't make laws/rules based on less than 1%) you don't need a chromosomal test. All you need are eyeballs and one look at the lower half of the body.

Outside of *rare* circumstances (and we don't make laws/rules based on less than 1%) you don't need a chromosomal test. All you need are eyeballs and one look at the lower half of the body.
    If obstetricians are using eyeballs and are failing at a 1% rate, that's a substantial malpractice vulnerability. And that's ~ the proportion of neonatal ambiguous genitalia, AFAIK, somewhere between .8 and 1.4%. Bodies continue to develop and change after being delivered, who knew?