Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Census

Who said they don't learn those things, too? I think they get much more out of the "applied learning" sorts of things than they do from the generic curriculum.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Maybe we should make a teacher poll...

Quote Originally Posted by agamemnus View Post

Maybe we should make a teacher poll...
    Most of what school is doing now is teaching for tests. That's it. They don't learn how to apply the concepts they learn to things they experience in the real world.

Sotomayor's confirmation was another example of them getting a real world example of something they have to learn, anyway. Discussion of racial tensions becomes a lot more meaningful when you see men and women who were active in the civil rights movement reacting to Obama's election. My daughter's class is learning about the American Revolution right now - her teacher handed out M&Ms and taxed the hell out of them all day long. Paper tax, pencil tax, it added up. And by the end of that day the kids understood the concept of why the people in the colonies were bent out of shape about taxation without representation. Anything that makes learning fun or applicable to a kids life is going to be much more effective than just reading it in a book.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Ag, it's part of our Constitution!

I wish they'd routinely incorporate Current Events into whichever course is relevant, but they don't. There doesn't seem to be enough "flexibility" in course content for the teachers to do this.

Only CP/CPA (our version of AP) history or government classes allows for that kind of thing, but only a small percentage of students are in those classes.

My kid is in 8th grade, on track to be in CP/CPA classes in high school, and NONE of his peer students in Social Studies knew what the cue word "Columbine" meant. He got extra credit points for knowing. Now that's fucked up.

I'm not sure we should teach truthful history.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post

I'm not sure about anything.

You are sure.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I am not not sure about everything...

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    What do you mean here?

Hey, what happened to this thread?!

Between regional-indexed taxation and zoning threads, it got me to wondering about counting the populace. Voting districts, moving political boundaries (gerry mandering?) and how we get things done in real terms. Who's in charge?

When I first moved to PA, the provincial hodge podge and choppy overlapping authorities boggled my mind. WTF is a BORO? How can so many redundant authorities be working against one another? Who can figure out boro, city, municipality, township, county, region, state? Who are my representative and how do I contact them? How many voting or referendum activities are there, and why aren't they coordinated?

Why should I have to pick a town or boro mayor or alderman, local school principle or district superintendent, zoning officer by township or county, municipal/township/county/state tax assessor or tax collector or prothonetarian, budget committees on 3 or 4 various levels....just to get answers like who the fuck is supposed to pick up roadside trash?

<Well, ma'am, it depends on the road. If it's in front of a public school, ask the school district. If it's on a county road, ask the county. If it's a state road, ask PennDoT. If it's a private road, ask the neighborhood association, if they don't have one then ask the township. If it's a private road in a boro, ask their mayor. If it's a private commercial street, ask the business owner; they may refer you to their public authority. /rant>

The sad thing is PennDOT is probably more effective in their areas of jurisdiction than many local authorities. Though I don't think your local jurisdictions matter as much with the federal census -- congressional districts are gerrymandered based on potential voters more than actual county/administrative lines.

Got a letter in the mail from the Census today, telling me to expect a letter from the Census