Thread: Habemus Papam

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I am not a catholic nor a christian but he came off as sympathetic from the get go. 'Brothers and sisters, good evening'. Such simple words and still so totally unexpected.
    Agreed. I was impressed he asked the crowd to bless him first. A crowd that size joined in silent prayer was also impressive.

I was prepared for some long-winded "speech", but he apparently blew past the Cardinals (who usually get first hand-shakes or whatever) because he knew people were standing in the rain. He also refused the Pope Mobile to ride the bus, carried his own bags, paid his hotel bill, and dismissed several of the cleaning staff at his new living quarters. I've never seen that kind of humility from a pope.

As for names, I don't really know the difference between a Franciscan or Jesuit. But I read that last time around, he knew conclave votes put him in 2nd place...and he told his sister he didn't want to be pope (at that time). So he's had a few years to think about the possibility, and conjure up a name, I guess? Or maybe that's something every Cardinal has in the back of their minds, even Jesuits who don't expect to become Cardinals?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Agreed. I was impressed he asked the crowd to bless him first. A crowd that size joined in silent prayer was also impressive.

I was prepared for some long-winded "speech", but he apparently blew past the Cardinals (who usually get first hand-shakes or whatever) because he knew people were standing in the rain. He also refused the Pope Mobile to ride the bus, carried his own bags, paid his hotel bill, and dismissed several of the cleaning staff at his new living quarters. I've never seen that kind of humility from a pope.

As for names, I don't really know the difference between a Franciscan or Jesuit. But I read that last time around, he knew conclave votes put him in 2nd place...and he told his sister he didn't want to be pope (at that time). So he's had a few years to think about the possibility, and conjure up a name, I guess? Or maybe that's something every Cardinal has in the back of their minds, even Jesuits who don't expect to become Cardinals?
    I understand it's very unusual for the runner up of the previous conclave to be elected. Also for a big chunk of the cardinals it was their first conclave. I think this man just ticked all the right boxes.
    Congratulations America