Thread: Sub-quotes missing

Default Sub-quotes missing

If I quote someone, I would like an option to keep any sub-quotes. As it stands, all sub-quotes are removed.

I don't believe it's an option with vBulletin. PHP3 boards do this, but I'm pretty sure vBulletin hasn't in about ten years. I just checked and didn't see the option in our settings.

Allowing nested quotes is easily possible, it'd just need to bypass the code that strips them. How would you see the UI working, though? This is something that can't be done post-facto, so it has to be a choice made before the quote happens. Working with the multiquote feature may cause difficulties as well.

Quoting quotes can get really messy if its done without limits. Only time I've seen people do it here is to point out stupidity or someone being a hypocrite. Rarely is it needed to honestly follow a confusing consersation. We aren't that busy or big.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I was thinking that as well. I think it might be better to just get people to do it manually when they want it. I'm certainly not going to make the system default to that. It really doesn't come up that often, does it?

GUI-wise, what I would like is a checkbox that is default to unchecked. When you click any of the "quote" buttons, if the checkbox is unchecked, you'll get just the stripped stuff. If it's checked, you get everything.

One very clever implementation I've just seen is on a blog I use which has just implemented a new comments system (Vanilla) which is otherwise pretty basic. If the quote code has a quote in it then the inner quotes are replaced by a hyperlink line saying something like "Show Sub-Quotes". Press it and the sub-quotes appear for just that one post but by default they don't. Keeps it on the end-users GUI then and it's not messy unless they feel the need to press it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.