Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bombs in Boston?

Default bombs in Boston?

There have been two explosions near the finish line for the Boston Marathon.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Some nasty looking images. Hope there's no fatalities (not seen any confirmed yet). EDIT: Seems 2 confirmed dead already
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I still consider gas explosions the most likely still.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I still consider gas explosions the most likely still.
    Are you kidding me? At the one place where all of the crowds are? Definitely terrorist. Absolutely awful.

Also, the Globe is reporting they found one or two unexploded devices.

Yeah, just heard that from MSNBC, quoting the Associated Press. Two undetonated bombs have been found, current count is 2 dead and 26 injured.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Coordinated with the bombs in Nasariyah, Kirkuk and Baghdad?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Standard bombs are generally not al-Qaeda's M.O. Al-Qaeda is also pretty good at claiming responsibility. The implication is that this might be a domestic group. This is all early speculation though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Coordinated with the bombs in Nasariyah, Kirkuk and Baghdad?
    The Iraqi blasts seem to be election-related. Can never discount the connection though.
    Hope is the denial of reality

My mother got to be on TV. She was near the second bomb when it went off. She's fine.

that's pretty badass
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Has she been recruited into a special squad to track down the terrorists?
    Hope is the denial of reality

I shall run facial recognition software at once, soon your identity shall be revealed to me
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I submitted my Geodude work truck to reddit, but it stalled out early on because of the off hour I posted it. Until the bombing reports hit the web, then my entry rocketed to the top of r/gaming and the lower half of the front page of reddit; I'm assuming because of the people who ran to reddit for current information. I shall say a special peace tonight for those that sacrificed life and limb to boost my karma score.

Its twisted, but that's what happened.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Third explosion at JFK Library.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Third explosion at JFK Library.
    Likely unrelated mechanical room fire.

Anyway, first-person footage of the explosions near the finish line: http://bcove.me/qwi5k6ap
    Your search had no results.

Bombing victim
    Spoiler:
    Click to view the full version

more possible gore
    Spoiler:

The last photo is pretty gruesome and definitely awful/not for queasy, but the guy seems awake and hopefully will make it.

http://gawker.com/5994709/photos-fro...rathon-bombing

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Are you kidding me? At the one place where all of the crowds are? Definitely terrorist. Absolutely awful.
    Seems you are right. But a trash can at the finish? That's e hard to believe. I haven't seen a trash can in Istanbul anywhere near where people congregrate in like 20 years.
    Congratulations America

Seems you are right. But a trash can at the finish? That's e hard to believe. I haven't seen a trash can in Istanbul anywhere near where people congregrate in like 20 years.
    The US has not in general had to have that kind of security in public spaces; that sort of thing has been a problem in other countries given the modus operandi of groups like the IRA and Hamas, but you can't really stop a 9/11 or an OKC bombing by removing trash cans.

edit: Although I'm sure plenty of people will find fault with the security (though marathons are notoriously difficult to secure), it does seem like the emergency response was swift and coordinated. The reports I've seen indicate that not only were casualties brought to area hospitals with impressive dispatch, but they were also checked for NBC contamination en route. The city center was swiftly shut down (which was a bit of a pain for getting home, since many of the bridges across the Charles were closed and much of the T system was sidelined), and there was a robust and immediate response by state police and Mass. national guard.

My sister is an ED physician in a major city center, and she's done all sorts of fancy training run by the DHS for these sorts of events (actually, far worse events); crisis response has gotten far more coordinated and sophisticated in the wake of 9/11, and I think that's a good thing. It's pretty much impossible to make impregnable security, but managing the aftereffects can mitigate the damage significantly. Absent shortcomings that may come to light later, I think they did a decent job of handling the crisis.

Of course, I'm not looking forward to commuting for the next few weeks... There's going to be the usual security theater. Bleh.
    Last edited by wiggin; 04-16-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Awful.

What kind of mind wants this.

I believe that this is the first successful terrorist attack on US soil since 9/11?

What's odd is that nobody has "claimed credit" for it yet, the Islamic terrorist groups are normally quite quick at doing so nowadays. What's really twisted is that 2 bombs and 3 dead, those responsible may be feeling disappointed

Ps rand: anthrax attacks, fort hood,
    and I think a few anti abortion attacks and a few neonazi ones against, IIRC, Jews and Sikh. Probably some eco terrorism, too.

Was trying to remember who it was that bombed the Atlanta Olympics in '96. That was a domestic group.

Wasn't that a lone guy?

ex cop, one guy. bombed a few other places too.

Like the Unabomber. Most American attacks I can think of have been a lone nutter.

runs create a lot of trash. cups, towels, disposable foil blankets, those nutrition packets people suck on. The bombs were timed to go off during the average finishing time, so I don't see how there was anyway to not congregate around the trash cans at the time.

He could have created a lot more damage if he had bombed the start line, or activated the bombs during the first couple of finishers, when people were still at the line watching. As it went down, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, even as terrorist attacks go.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 04-16-2013 at 02:03 PM.

runs create a lot of trash. cups, towels, disposable foil blankets, those nutrition packets people suck on. The bombs were timed to go off during the average finishing time, so I don't see how there was anyway to not congregate around the trash cans at the time.

He could have created a lot more damage if he had bombed the start line, or activated the bombs during the first couple of finishers, when people were still at the line watching. As it went down, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, even as terrorist attacks go.
    Runs create more trash than a city trash can could cope with. I consider trash cans a security risk under the best of circumstances, and I would have had them removed at a place like the finish line of a marathon. Call me whatever you want, but they make great places for bombs to be hid in a near undetectable way.
    Congratulations America

whatever would have replaced the trash cans would have just as easily held a bomb.

Cans are usually brought in for events like this. hence why so many videos show the explosions so close together. cities aren't normally blanketed in cans.

whatever would have replaced the trash cans would have just as easily held a bomb.

Cans are usually brought in for events like this. hence why so many videos show the explosions so close together. cities aren't normally blanketed in cans.
    No, a plastic bag is a lot less of a convenient storage for a bomb. Regular trash removal is the only safe way to deal with trash at a public gathering. I don't know how many people walk through Istiklal Caddesi in Istanbul on a busy saturday, but it wouldn't surprise me if we're talking numbers exceeding 1m. Over the entire length of that street there are 2 points where you will find a plastic bag trash collection point. Both sitting under a camera. Where there are no camera's there is no collection point; there is a 24 hours sweeping service though to keep the street clean. Most people just throw things on the street, typically what you threw is swept up within 5 minutes.

Turkey of course has learned the dangers of trash cans the hard way. As it has of un-supervised luggage and the likes.
    Congratulations America