Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Movies that do not attach to scientific laws

Historical Fiction movies are almost always horrible at history. Its happens 9 times out of 10, but my recent example would be A Knights Tale. All the armor they used, it spanned a time frame of hundreds of years.

A Knight's Tale was shit anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Fifth Element (one of my favorites)

LOTR - Return of the King (my very favorite, when's the blueray version coming out?, "Fool, no man can kill me.", "I am no man !") Oooooh, lots of camel squashing in this one.

Total Recall

Red Planet

Crap, the list could go on forever.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

You liked Red Planet? Ick.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    You liked Red Planet? Ick.
    I thought we were rating on anti-physics.

Its funny. I thought i was a bad person to go to a movie with. But now, seeing what you guys are like, i feel much better about myself.

Thanks all.

Ignoring physics in movies is only bad if its done badly enough that you cringe.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Oh. Sorry.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnie View Post
    Its funny. I thought i was a bad person to go to a movie with. But now, seeing what you guys are like, i feel much better about myself.

Thanks all.

Ignoring physics in movies is only bad if its done badly enough that you cringe.
    I agree. I go to movies for entertainment and as long as the corners cut won't prevent me from suspending my disbelief, I don't care. I would have liked Phantom Menace if it wasn't such a boring piece of shit. I so wanted Star Wars to take the next step. Alas Lucas was too confident in himself. Fool.
    The Rules

I just saw a snippet of some disaster movie where they were planning on closing a fault line using nuclear bombs. I love the magical properties the word "nuclear" has.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Oh.

Something else just occurred to me after reading about your fault line disaster movie.

In Superman II, or is it III, Lois Lane is in a car which is crushed during some earthquake or summink caused be Lex Luthor. She dies. In a fit of emotion on discovering her dead body, Superman flies faster and faster and faster round the earth, until time starts going backwards, back to point before Lois gets crushed so that Superman can save her.

By current understanding, travelling backward in time is an impossibility ness pah. Time can only be slowed down as the speed of light is approached. And the speed of light is the universe's speed limit.

But I guess any limits imposed on us by our physical universe are mere hurdles to overcome for our Superhero. Cos he's Super.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Oh.

By current understanding, travelling backward in time is an impossibility ness pah. Time can only be slowed down as the speed of light is approached. And the speed of light is the universe's speed limit.
    Since the speed of light is measured with time what affect does slowing down time have on the speed of light?

Since the speed of light is measured with time
    Speed is measured in seconds, minutes and hours?

what affect does slowing down time have on the speed of light?
    Effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Einstein
    time slows down for an object traveling near the speed of light in relation to a stationary observer

Speed is measured in seconds, minutes and hours?

Effect.
    How is the speed of light affected by slowing down time? (Better? )

Originally Posted by Einstein
    time slows down for an object traveling near the speed of light in relation to a stationary observer
    There are no stationary observers.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Yars, but all that link shows is ingenious ways of incorporating a membrane oxygenator within the body. A small artificial lung that works using an oxygenated liquid in other words.

There is nothing there that implies that alveoli can or ever will be able to directly absorb oxygen from liquid (and dispense with CO2 which is equally important for aerobic respiration). Alveoli are simply not capable, they haven't evolved that way.

In other words doing nothing other than pouring oxygenated liquid directly into a lung (as shown in the movie) can not and never will be a functioning oxygen/carbon-dioxide exchange system. The subject in question would drown.

EDIT: Hang about. A special suit is used in the movie isn't it? I guess a membrane oxygenator could be incorporated into the suit ... but then blood would need to pass intravenously from the suit into the body, so certainly not as described in the movie where the implication given is that the lung itself 'breathes' the liquid. Hm.
    18 hours is not that short And that was the 60s.

http://www.indopedia.org/Fluid_breathing.html

Due to the principle of relativity, every observer may be described as being stationary (and that's why time dilatation comes into play).
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Eh?

Lois Lane is the stationary observer. Or earth. Or everyone on earth. However you want to look at.

Stationary relative to Superman and his Super-light speed.

Yars, but all that link shows is ingenious ways of incorporating a membrane oxygenator within the body. A small artificial lung that works using an oxygenated liquid in other words.

There is nothing there that implies that alveoli can or ever will be able to directly absorb oxygen from liquid (and dispense with CO2 which is equally important for aerobic respiration). Alveoli are simply not capable, they haven't evolved that way.

In other words doing nothing other than pouring oxygenated liquid directly into a lung (as shown in the movie) can not and never will be a functioning oxygen/carbon-dioxide exchange system. The subject in question would drown.

EDIT: Hang about. A special suit is used in the movie isn't it? I guess a membrane oxygenator could be incorporated into the suit ... but then blood would need to pass intravenously from the suit into the body, so certainly not as described in the movie where the implication given is that the lung itself 'breathes' the liquid. Hm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    18 hours is not that short And that was the 60s.

http://www.indopedia.org/Fluid_breathing.html.
    Wow. Well I was 100% wrong in that case. Alveoli can exchange oxygen & CO2 with an oxygenated liquid.

I'll find an easier target to pick on than The Abyss then.

Oh.

Something else just occurred to me after reading about your fault line disaster movie.

In Superman II, or is it III, Lois Lane is in a car which is crushed during some earthquake or summink caused be Lex Luthor. She dies. In a fit of emotion on discovering her dead body, Superman flies faster and faster and faster round the earth, until time starts going backwards, back to point before Lois gets crushed so that Superman can save her.

But I guess any limits imposed on us by our physical universe are mere hurdles to overcome for our Superhero. Cos he's Super.
    That was Superman. The first movie everyone loved.
    The Rules