Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movies that do not attach to scientific laws

Default Movies that do not attach to scientific laws

Three films that would make Einstein blush

An American physicist is calling for Hollywood producers to tone down the fanciful science in movies - and restrict themselves to just one scientific flaw per film. But which are the worst offenders when it comes to bad science films?
    Hollywood seens to show off with scientific ignorance, Star Wars physics and other impossibles.
    If we talk about ignorance, Hollywood is a great place to find the most uneducated movie makers and producers.
    Hollywood also is very historically inaccurate.

So what you are saying is that Avatar isnt a documentary?
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Ah guess that's why they wouldn't give me college credits for going to the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnie View Post
    So what you are saying is that Avatar isnt a documentary?
    Fantasy. Fantasy is about the realm of impossible, like Harry Potter.

So our entertainment should only be factual? Is that the point of this?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Spin it let's begin it. Angel_Mapper's Avatar
    Every time I hear that a reactor is "going critical" I facepalm.
    Angel Mapper - Prometheus

To have said goodbye to things!

I wouldn't mind fantasy making sense when its trying to imitate reality. Can't remember how many times I LOL'd and WTF'd when I first watched Swordfish.

Those damn prawns aint real?

The thing that bothers me in movies isn't when they aren't real, but when they violate their own internal rules. Like when superman stops a plummeting airplane with a single hand placed on its nose. Fine, superman exists in the film and has amazing strength, can fly, etc. That's part of the film's internal rules. But that airplane isn't made to be decelerated that quickly and sure isn't meant to bear its entire weight on its nose like that... And the aircraft being "super" is not part of the film's rules.

Or when King Kong falls off the Empire State Building. Ok, I'll accept that there's a giant monkey that falls in love with a human woman and climbs to the top of the (then) tallest building in New York. But given how heavy he is, when he falls there should be a tidal wave of viscera running through the streets. He should splash when he hits hard pavement from that height. But no, he doesn't.

I could probably come up with some better examples than these, since they all rely on a bit of physics intuition and this isn't limited just to that, but you get the general idea.

Or the all-time classic physics violation, perpetuated by 90% of sci-fi films out there; sound in space.

~

A couple of ones that have annoyed me over the years.

- Independence Day. Goldblum knocking up a wonderful bit of alien viral code in an hour or two, then infecting the alien mothership's computers with it. Alien code must be wonderfully simple for Goldblum to learn it inside out in a couple of hours, write a virus that transfers from one ship to another, specifically takes out shields, and flashes up an animated laughing skull as an added bonus. Oh and he used a regular PC to write the code, and interface it from there to the captured ship. Somehow.

- The Abyss. Filling up a diver's lungs with a special oxygenated fluid that purportedly allows him to 'breathe', "Just like when you were in your mother's womb". Firstly, you don't 'breathe' amniotic fluid whilst in the womb - a baby receives oxygen in the form of oxygenated blood from the mother via the umbilical cord. Secondly, lungs are not gills, they simply to not have the ability to absorb oxygen from liquid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

When I hear science fiction, I imagine a bit of science there.
    But it seems they call it "science fiction" if there are elements like space, future, aliens, technological worlds, etc.
    I can count with my finger the truly consistent scifi movies that indeed seem to be coherent with the laws of physics.

Sometimes it seems that movie makers compete to prove they are more and more ignorant and annoying.

Stargate? It is about US marines dealing with alien egyptians.
    Star Wars? It is WWII in space. Humans with make up are the aliens. Star Wars physics.
    Solar babies? Worst movie ever, kids using skateboards on an alien planet.
    Armageddon? This is the end of times, when science exists no more in the head of a movie maker. Gets an F in basic physics. Asking someone at NASA shouldn't be so hard.
    Moonraker? Star Wars physics with James Bond involved.
    Wing commander? Star Wars rerun that tells the story of an american aircraft carrier in space.
    Battlestar Galactica (the new series)? Another US carrier in space filled with space marines and they are immersed in drama queen political earthling plots most of times, instead of having a classic dogfight with cylons in every episode.
    Independence day? A race comes to destroy an insignificant planet.
    V (new series)? Democrat reptiles invade Earth. They implement universal health coverage and they favor "change", but they have hidden intentions.

And they call it "science fiction"...

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo Mark 33 View Post
    The thing that bothers me in movies isn't when they aren't real, but when they violate their own internal rules. Like when superman stops a plummeting airplane with a single hand placed on its nose. Fine, superman exists in the film and has amazing strength, can fly, etc. That's part of the film's internal rules. But that airplane isn't made to be decelerated that quickly and sure isn't meant to bear its entire weight on its nose like that... And the aircraft being "super" is not part of the film's rules.

Or when King Kong falls off the Empire State Building. Ok, I'll accept that there's a giant monkey that falls in love with a human woman and climbs to the top of the (then) tallest building in New York. But given how heavy he is, when he falls there should be a tidal wave of viscera running through the streets. He should splash when he hits hard pavement from that height. But no, he doesn't.

I could probably come up with some better examples than these, since they all rely on a bit of physics intuition and this isn't limited just to that, but you get the general idea.
    Yeah, I generally agree with you, but your examples aren't too great. The narrative demands some playing with reality; the plane might not be super, but it's boring to safe it in a realistic way and what the heck, superman is super already so reality may be bent.

What's more annoying is ordinary people outrunning pyroclastic clouds (2012) and the likes.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by ar81 View Post
    Stargate? It is about US marines dealing with alien egyptian
    [buncha crap I've never seen and a couple I've never even heard of omitted]
    Battlestar Galactica (the new series)? Another US carrier in space filled with space marines and they are immersed in drama queen political earthling plots most of times, instead of having a classic dogfight with cylons in every episode.
    Perhaps before you start complaining about the lack of science in science fiction you should work on your ability to comprehend the plots, or even the cast of characters, in what you are watching.

Independence day? A race comes to destroy an insignificant planet.
    You managed to get that one right, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Perhaps before you start complaining about the lack of science in science fiction you should work on your ability to comprehend the plots, or even the cast of characters, in what you are watching.

You managed to get that one right, at least.
    Well, for some people SF = dogfights in space, which of course is nonsense. For me BSG was never more boring than during its big space battles. I love how there are hardly any space ships in Caprica at all so far.
    Congratulations America

Worst science scifi ever: 2001: A Space Odyssey. You couldn't even hear the space ship's engines.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Secondly, lungs are not gills, they simply to not have the ability to absorb oxygen from liquid.
    We can do it, we partially have the technology...

I don't agree with the article, but I do agree with the notion that a movie should stick to its own internal logic. For instance, laser beams that have been shown to instantly incapacitate or kill anyone they hit, but for dramatic effect someone will survive long enough to return fire.
    . . .

"Plot" is never an excuse for ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by ar81 View Post
    "Plot" is never an excuse for ignorance.
    You're showing your ignorance without even a plot as an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Yars, but all that link shows is ingenious ways of incorporating a membrane oxygenator within the body. A small artificial lung that works using an oxygenated liquid in other words.

There is nothing there that implies that alveoli can or ever will be able to directly absorb oxygen from liquid (and dispense with CO2 which is equally important for aerobic respiration). Alveoli are simply not capable, they haven't evolved that way.

In other words doing nothing other than pouring oxygenated liquid directly into a lung (as shown in the movie) can not and never will be a functioning oxygen/carbon-dioxide exchange system. The subject in question would drown.

EDIT: Hang about. A special suit is used in the movie isn't it? I guess a membrane oxygenator could be incorporated into the suit ... but then blood would need to pass intravenously from the suit into the body, so certainly not as described in the movie where the implication given is that the lung itself 'breathes' the liquid. Hm.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 02-24-2010 at 03:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Here's one of my favourites...

The helicopter scene in 007: Tomorrow Never Dies.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8BHhH_70Pg <<-- skip to 6.12 mins.

At that angle there is no way the aircraft could stay in that position. My tilting rotors generate lift - so being at that angle would cause the aircraft to accelerate forwards.

Another...

Lord of the Rings - Legolas getting on a horse.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGH8Ft04t7I

I'm not sure how the f**k the CGI director thought that would look good. It's just rubbish.
    All those moments lost in time... like tears in the rain

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    - Independence Day. Goldblum knocking up a wonderful bit of alien viral code in an hour or two, then infecting the alien mothership's computers with it. Alien code must be wonderfully simple for Goldblum to learn it inside out in a couple of hours, write a virus that transfers from one ship to another, specifically takes out shields, and flashes up an animated laughing skull as an added bonus. Oh and he used a regular PC to write the code, and interface it from there to the captured ship. Somehow.
    And that's not even the stupidest thing about that movie.

- The Abyss. Filling up a diver's lungs with a special oxygenated fluid that purportedly allows him to 'breathe', "Just like when you were in your mother's womb". Firstly, you don't 'breathe' amniotic fluid whilst in the womb - a baby receives oxygen in the form of oxygenated blood from the mother via the umbilical cord. Secondly, lungs are not gills, they simply to not have the ability to absorb oxygen from liquid.
    I may be wrong but I think this is real science. Hyper oxygenated water is breathable. If they were going to flub the science, they would have ignored pressure affects.

Quote Originally Posted by xaero1 View Post
    Another...

I'm not sure how the f**k the CGI director thought that would look good. It's just rubbish.
    Its magic dude.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Hell on earth, you fucking kill joys.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Its magic dude.
    What, did Gandalf enchant Legolas with the "reverse swing horse mounting potion" or something? I must have missed that bit. :S
    All those moments lost in time... like tears in the rain

You're showing your ignorance without even a plot as an excuse.
    You are using an excuse as a plot for your ignorance...

If Tolkien can get away with writing about the Leap of Beren, a man, I don't see a problem with showing the agility of an elf getting on a horse or walking without leaving prints in the snow.

I'm surprised noone's mentioned http://www.intuitor.com/moviephysics/ yet.

It's almost my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    If Tolkien can get away with writing about the Leap of Beren, a man, I don't see a problem with showing the agility of an elf getting on a horse or walking without leaving prints in the snow.
    And walking on the snow when everyone else is waist deep... Tolkien wrote the elves as having these extraordinary abilities, so I have no problem with the movies showing that elves can move in ways that no human can.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way...

What, did Gandalf enchant Legolas with the "reverse swing horse mounting potion" or something? I must have missed that bit. :S
    No, but elves are magical creatures, akin to wingless angels or something. Do you recall the scene where he walked on the snow drift while everyone else had to trudge through?

Quote Originally Posted by evenstar View Post
    And walking on the snow when everyone else is waist deep... Tolkien wrote the elves as having these extraordinary abilities, so I have no problem with the movies showing that elves can move in ways that no human can.
    Scooped me. Anyway, we are of one mind on it.
    The Rules

Yeah, thats what I meant can't really be waste deep and still manage to not leave prints.

The problem of movie makers is that they are illiterates in science and history and many other fields of knowledge.
    If they create a plot, at least try to attach to reality where it applies.
    If Harry Potter has to fly, that's fine, because it was fantasy and breaking the rules is intentional.

But if you see 10000BC, you will see rasta europeans walking from Europe to Egypt, passing through South America where there were some big birds. Also you have mammuths in the desert... imagine how much vegetation they need to be fed, how much water, and how hot it should be under the fur. The irony is that the tribe had a settlement in a time when there was no agriculture, so they basically waited for food to come, instead of looking for it. It is the equivalent of ignorance of having US independence being signed by Stalin and having Fidel Castro as the current US president.

It would be a plot, but a very idiotic one.