Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3D Printed Guns

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Please do; I'm only aware of SLS/SLA for any utility with metals. PM-style materials can certainly get relatively strong, agreed; I just think that consumer-level machines with appropriate properties are a bit in the future.
    If "a bit" is less then or equal to 5-10 for consumer metals, ~10+ for high quality consumer metals, then we're not disagreeing anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    You'd probably need a 3D Printer that works in metal. Those are nowhere near affordable for a consumer, and it'll take a minimum of 3 years and more likely 5-10 before there are consumer versions. So, maybe a decade out before you can raid the local speakeasy?
    Wiseguy eh? Well we can take care of that, see. Yeah, see.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    The guy who filmed it has his name in the related article, and it also says:
    My bad/effect of skimming and not clicking-through to the original source. I had read about this before in passing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Also, don't plastic guns make anyone think of In the Line of Fire?
    Yes! It also made me wonder how airlines and courtrooms could screen for plastic guns, or possibly plastic bullets, in the future. It's not like criminals would follow the law to add some piece of metal, so metal detectors would be useless. And since disassembled components wouldn't have to "look" like parts of a gun, x-rays could be useless, too.

In more awesome 3D printer news:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=20f_1369272809

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Yes! It also made me wonder how airlines and courtrooms could screen for plastic guns, or possibly plastic bullets, in the future. It's not like criminals would follow the law to add some piece of metal, so metal detectors would be useless. And since disassembled components wouldn't have to "look" like parts of a gun, x-rays could be useless, too.

Bolded part that ER and others here (myself included) have pointed out before on gun control...

Welcome to the Libertarian Party.

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Told you so.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Bolded part that ER and others here (myself included) have pointed out before on gun control...

Welcome to the Libertarian Party.
    That regulation (a metal piece in a gun) pertains to gun manufacturers. If anyone with a 3-D printer that can make guns in the privacy of their home, and not necessarily sell to the public -- what would Libertarians recommend in the future? Chang legal terms of "gun manufacturer", require gun manufacturing licenses with 3-D printer programs, or something else?

Whoosh

There's a big difference between making a gun and buying one.

It will be interesting to follow the gun manufacturing industry's reaction to 3D printed guns. And how congress will respond.

They haven't wanted 'teh gummint' to interfere with their ability to make and distribute guns-for-profit. Not even when it meant better 'quality control' for their product, by monitoring distributors/dealers/sellers as part of their brand, like a franchise.

But now they've got some competition that may eat into their long-term profit margins. My hunch is they've already got analysts and lobbyists planning their next move....to limit the manufacturing process with legislative protections.

The 2nd Amendment only applies to individuals "keeping and bearing arms". That doesn't extend to intellectual property, technology patents, or the Manufacturing process. At least not currently, as far as I can tell. Am I wrong?

You are most likely correct in this assessment. Big Government will protect this group just like other big manufactures. And it will be in the name of SAFTEY.

That "Big Government" would be members of the Republican Party, but it wouldn't be done in the name of SAFETY. No, they would likely frame it as a legitimate role for the government to protect patent-holders or licensed manufacturers. Trying not to make it look like crony capitalism, or industry lobbyists buying preferred legislation.

Yep, and your point is?

I'm not a republican.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    I question just how long that is. How big is the current private stock and the annual rate of depletion? Anyways, the point is that in principle it's the easiest way to restrict the use of the current stock of guns (and the presumably wide availability of guns in the future). It might take some time for the stricter control regime to take effect, but it will also take some time for 3D printed guns to become mainstream weapons.
    Sorry for taking so long in responding to this, I must have missed it the first time around.

A pound of smokeless powder can easily make 800 to 1500 rounds, (that range is obviously dependent on several factors, including the caliber and grain of the bullet that's being reloaded, the brand of powder, and the amount of waste in the reloading process - which is generally negligible). It's fairly common for reloaders to stock up on the core components, which means I've known individuals who had thirty to forty pounds of the stuff on hand. That isn't to say the supply would never dry up, but I somehow doubt a total ban on powder would be politically feasible. That is to say, at the point in which such measures would be conceivable, a complete ban on guns and gun ownership would seem more likely to me than a simple crackdown on reloading supplies.
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 05-30-2013 at 09:00 PM.

And, if you're really desperate: Combine nitric acid and sulfuric acid, pour that stuff on cotton, wait a bit, wash and then dry the cotton and you've got guncotton.

By the way: I will create some guncotton for this year's final chemistry lessons.

Which means that if you don't hear anything from me after the 21st of this month, look for "German school blown sky high" in the newspapers

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    By the way: I will create some guncotton for this year's final chemistry lessons.

Which means that if you don't hear anything from me after the 21st of this month, look for "German school blown sky high" in the newspapers
    That's an experiment I've always been interested in trying. Have you had the chance to make gun cotton before, or is this your first time?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    That's an experiment I've always been interested in trying. Have you had the chance to make gun cotton before, or is this your first time?
    Once in university, under supervision. This time I'm all on my own, though I'll have the professional lab equipment of my school, of course. And the amount of cotton will be minimal - about 25 grams in total.

There are only two real dangers to the process, though, both of which can be easily handled: Ignoring the acid fumes in the first step (for obvious reasons). And not rinsing the guncotton thoroughly (which might lead to spontaneous ignition).

Once in university, under supervision. This time I'm all on my own, though I'll have the professional lab equipment of my school, of course. And the amount of cotton will be minimal - about 25 grams in total.

There are only two real dangers to the process, though, both of which can be easily handled: Ignoring the acid fumes in the first step (for obvious reasons). And not rinsing the guncotton thoroughly (which might lead to spontaneous ignition).
    Well if you don't mind and happen to remember, let me know how it goes! I'm sure that your students will appreciate the experiment.

I'm a bit of a mind to make igniting the stuff a bit more spectacular: Coat your thumb liberally with potassium chlorate and your middle finger with a very tiny amount of dry(!) red phosphorus.

Snapping your fingers will create a spark you can use to ignite a bunsen burner (or previously produced guncotton )

However, the "very tiny amount" poses the problem: Too much red phosporous will create a 3rd degree burn...

I applaud your style...but cringe at the potential negative outcome.

Prediction: In three weeks, Khen will have to apologize for not using a space bar, as he no longer has thumbs and doesn't want to change his typing habits. His other one will be gone because Germans hate asymmetry.

I'mnotsurewhatyou'reimplyinghere.

So, production of guncotton went off without a hitch. However, for the layman (or those without a professional chemistry lab) I strongly recommend using potassium nitrate instead of concentrated nitric acid - due to the simple fact that pure nitric acid contains nitrogen dioxide which will easily vaporize. And which is highly toxic. You'll still need to go either outside or use a fume hood, though, even when using the potassium nitrate.

Mixed the two acids (20 ml sulfuric acid to 17 ml nitric acid) in an ice bath to gain the nitrating acid, put 1.5 grams of pure cotton into the mixture for 10 minutes (cotton turned a light brown) and then rinsed the cotton vigorously. Lab coat, safety goggles and gloves are a must!

Then fluffed the (now white again) guncotton up a bit and let it dry for a day. Works just fine.

We don't have any pure red phosphorous, though, so I can't try the second experiment

So, production of guncotton went off without a hitch. However, for the layman (or those without a professional chemistry lab) I strongly recommend using potassium nitrate instead of concentrated nitric acid - due to the simple fact that pure nitric acid contains nitrogen dioxide which will easily vaporize. And which is highly toxic. You'll still need to go either outside or use a fume hood, though, even when using the potassium nitrate.

Mixed the two acids (20 ml sulfuric acid to 17 ml nitric acid) in an ice bath to gain the nitrating acid, put 1.5 grams of pure cotton into the mixture for 10 minutes (cotton turned a light brown) and then rinsed the cotton vigorously. Lab coat, safety goggles and gloves are a must!

Then fluffed the (now white again) guncotton up a bit and let it dry for a day. Works just fine.

We don't have any pure red phosphorous, though, so I can't try the second experiment
    All told, (and minus the drying) about how long did it take?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    All told, (and minus the drying) about how long did it take?
    I was pretty cautious when mixing the acids (mixed in a maximum of 2 ml at a time and then waited for a minute), so factoring in setting up and cleaning up afterwards, about an hour.