Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Xbox One

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Did you adopt so you wouldn't be short on players?
    That's long term planning, currently we are a group of 5 players and 1 GM...
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

http://www.examiner.com/article/micr...-lineup-leaked

rather impressive rumored Xbox E3 lineup. if true
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

There are grumblings about Microsoft cancelling their after E3 press events. When the media would ask questions to iron out the details of the Xbox One.

this discussion gathers together a bunch of "sources" that seem to point to the OS and hardware still being half baked. Extremely low yields thanks to their esram decision. This means deep downclocks and degraded performance.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

The ESRAM decision seems particularly stupid and I don't understand with ~6 months to go before release why they don't simply change it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

game development. when it comes to consoles, especially exclusives, you can't change the hardware without seriously breaking the game code. That would push back the console launch even further behind Sony. Current rumors says that Microsoft is playing serious catchup, even paying developers to not show/focus on PS4 at E3.

Sony had Playstation delayed ages in order to ensure it had Bluray right on it, it didn't kill them.

This console will represent them for the next 5-10 years. Better fix it now than be known as the weaker alternative for a decade. It shouldn't be too late now to tweak issues, after launch it is.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Maybe, but its all to easy for management to look at their own internal statistics to see a different picture. The Xbox 360 was a rushed product. RROD for something like 60% of consoles, and they ate the bullet on fixing that. Hell, they replaced a few original units at the launch of Halo Reach because the drives couldn't read the new format for 6gb DVDs.

but none of that matters, because rushing the 360 to market gave them a foot in the door to take advantage of where Sony fucked up, and the 360 was for most of this generation the leading console.

But what happens if the PS4 doesn't have such a hard launch as the PS3? What if Sony is better able to match Microsoft point for point? I don't think Microsoft has even considered that avenue.

Then again, these are billion dollar companies, and I'm a nobody.

With both looking to launch for the same holiday season there'll be comparisons made between them. And on those its not looking good for the Xbox especially with the RAM situation.

Being perceived as the weaker option has killed previous products. Who now has HD-DVDs?

I imagine retailers such as Game may not be too impressed with Microsoft's plans to take the second hand game market off them. Having a hardware peg for retailers to say to uncertain consumers that PS4 is better just seems an unnecessary stick to be beaten with.

Click to view the full version

the only upside I see to microsoft keeping such a draconian stance towards game ownership is that in a perfect world it would enable more steam like sales and deals. except that microsoft and sony have always been horrible in keeping their digital goods priced in line with physical copies and their sales usually suck in comparison.

the connection check is even crazier if you're playing away from your home console. every hour the system you are on will phone home.

Guess I'm done with XBox. Meh.

Meh - it will all come down to games. I got the Xbox for Halo and never looked back. The whole no sell/trade isn't that big of a deal since you got pennies on the dollar at most places anyway. TBH though I hardly ever play on the console so I may just stick with the computer.

reddit's r/gaming is flooded with macros slamming the console. its rather annoying

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/

current concerns:

forcing cloud gaming because microsoft insists that everyone has stable broadband
    games can be traded once, and only to friends you've known for a month
    hourly checks if playing away from home
    server maintenance
    microsoft's continued insistence that the media was twisting their words, only to have nearly everything they said so far be correct

and a push to call xbox support to remove auto renewal and credit card information on live subscriptions

Price of Xbox One:

$499
    429 pounds ($670)
    499 euros ($660)

Hope is the denial of reality

Or you get a PS4 at €399 which is still slightly more than an US XBox.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Of all the complaints I've heard on the X-Box One, they all seem to fall into two buckets for me: "That's actually pretty cool" or "I don't care." This is probably because I prefer digital sales, don't sell my shit once I have it, have modern internet, and I'm not so paranoid that I'm afraid my game console is going to be watching me just because I can turn it on by voice whenever I'm ready to use it. The price point is pretty high though, but then PS4 hasn't shown a damn thing that impresses me at all.

Wii U? Ha, no.

I wish the PS4 had shown off how they plan to use the camera, but otherwise the mature game lineup is all I wanted from a console launch. My problem with the xbox one is the lack of choice, their decisions are so limiting for what a consumer is allowed. I also don't sell my games, but I do buy used games. crackdown launched at $60, just picked it up for $2. In a perfect world Microsoft being able to destroy the used market could have brought about a Steam like marketplace and pricing structure, but this is microsoft. They have never shown themselves to be that reactive in regards to pricing.

and the almost always online thing, not cool. no matter how modern the consumers internet is. the streaming problems everyone had shows that. the fact that the GFWL marketplace went down last week and they wouldn't even acknowledge the issue until yesterday is a bigger one.

yeah, I've considered that the net might have overreacted against the xbox one, but then I watched both the official E3 Stream and Gametrailers hosts continuously slam microsoft for their business decisions here, and I understood that even if it is an overreaction, its well warranted.

Another vote for never selling games - I still have the NES and its games - but I do buy used. I expect retailers like Game would fall under the "authorised reseller" thing they're talking about but any charge they need to pay will be passed on to us. Won't surprise me if used PS4 titles then are cheaper.

My other concern is what happens afterwards. I have a collection of over 100 Wii/PS3/360* games from this generation some of which I'd play again, just like still sometimes play Vice City etc from PS2, or even still having aforementioned NES (not played that in years to be fair). What's to stop Microsoft switching off the servers for the One in 10 years time killing off your collection as unsupported?

* I expect for next gen to only have one console if any and no chance all of them next time. Only reason I have all 3 is that I never paid for any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Of all the complaints I've heard on the X-Box One, they all seem to fall into two buckets for me: "That's actually pretty cool" or "I don't care." This is probably because I prefer digital sales, don't sell my shit once I have it, have modern internet, and I'm not so paranoid that I'm afraid my game console is going to be watching me just because I can turn it on by voice whenever I'm ready to use it. The price point is pretty high though, but then PS4 hasn't shown a damn thing that impresses me at all.

Wii U? Ha, no.
    This is exactly where I'm at. I'm not interested in the PS4 due to the game lineup, it simply doesn't interest me and I honestly couldn't care about selling games on.

Which games does the One have that the PS4 doesn't that swings it for you?

Most games end up on both platforms in my experience. Only Xbox one I'd miss is Fable IV (played all base games in that series). But then again Sony has Final Fantasy XV (played all non-MMO bases since VII in that one).

Final Fantasy is going to be ported to the Xbox.

Titanfall, Ryse: Son of Rome, Forza 5, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct are definitely titles for the Xbox One that kill it for me with the PS4, particularly Killer Instinct. I'm very happy to see that IP come back after all these years.

titanfall is reportedly a timed exclusive. will land on the ps4 late next year, at about the same time the Asian markets will be allowed to use the xbox one.

Newest complaint seems to be that the Xbox One is region/country restricted for a launch rollout. Half of Europe won't get the system this year, and The Witcher developers in Poland won't be able to play it this year.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/p...one/disclaimer

map:

I don't know whats worse. No more xbox laptops, or that microsoft assumes everyone getting an XBox One has or will have an xbox 360.

At which point did Microsoft decide that pissing off gamers is the best way to make money? I'm going to guess the people in charge of Xbox One are the same ones who were responsible for the Windows 8 design...

Or maybe the Windows Vista guys.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    Or maybe the Windows Vista guys.
    Ouch, thy knife cuteth deep...

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I'm going to guess the people in charge of Xbox One are the same ones who were responsible for the Windows 8 design...
    The Windows 8 core is actually a good bit faster and cleaner than its predecessors. The problem is that the new UI requires a learning curve people aren't used it. Once its mastered using Windows 8 is wonderfully zippy. Hopefully windows 8.1 will dumb the experience down enough for those who haven't got it yet, without slowing it down for the people who caught on.

I think the xbox one is suffering a similar fate. What Microsoft wants to do is create the console version of Steam, but that vision is getting lost in marketing and their inability to control their twitter support. Last night those guys had a conversation with a user who was complaining, via pictures, of his penis getting stuck in his xbox.

Newest trending complaint is that Xbox will remove access to all Xbox one games if your account is banned. I'm sure veldan loves that idea.

The Windows 8 core is actually a good bit faster and cleaner than its predecessors. The problem is that the new UI requires a learning curve people aren't used it. Once its mastered using Windows 8 is wonderfully zippy. Hopefully windows 8.1 will dumb the experience down enough for those who haven't got it yet, without slowing it down for the people who caught on.

I think the xbox one is suffering a similar fate. What Microsoft wants to do is create the console version of Steam, but that vision is getting lost in marketing and their inability to control their twitter support. Last night those guys had a conversation with a user who was complaining, via pictures, of his penis getting stuck in his xbox.
    There was absolutely no reason to remove the start button. It significantly sped up searches and was a one-place stop for finding pretty much all files on the computer. Why get rid of something like this? I should also point out that Microsoft makes a huge portion of its profits from corporations, and corporations do not like having major changes thrust upon them, especially when those changes serve little purpose. The way I see it, the Windows 8 designers were creating a Windows for the tech connoisseurs, who are accustomed to using a million different types of technology. They forgot that most Windows customers are not like that, and the design should be aimed at them, not the hipsters.

And yes, Windows 8 is faster, but that's thanks to the engineers, not the idiots deciding what features make the cut.

the start button from previous windows isn't faster the windows 8 homescreen is the start button. you literally start typing what you're looking for and it starts displaying results. totally skips having to click the start button to get started.

the design of windows 8 came about for the people who were tired of having to shift gears between different kinds of tech. ios devices have the same "type to find" that windows 8 uses in place of the start buttons "search programs and files". Windows 8 isn't using never before seen design decisions, they just had problems educating the masses as they forced them into the current century.