Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Xbox One

Ignoring the fact that you have to get to the home screen (surely if you're using the computer, you wouldn't be on the screen), and that it adds an extra step to going between programs/files.

So to please the small portion of people who constantly shift between different technologies, Microsoft forced a new design upon all of their customers, a vast majority of whom do not in any way benefit from it. Considering that the lower-ranking people in corporations who use Windows aren't exactly tech savvy, what you're saying is that Windows cost corporations a ridiculous amount of money in training costs just to please a tiny portion of its base. Makes perfect sense.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Ignoring the fact that you have to get to the home screen (surely if you're using the computer, you wouldn't be on the screen), and that it adds an extra step to going between programs/files.
    the computer starts on the home screen, and every keyboard has a key that goes directly to it. still no need to click on the start button, and if you do happen to be using a gimped keyboard that doesn't have a windows key, it takes the same number of clicks to get to the home screen as it does to get the start button up (1).

So to please the small portion of people who constantly shift between different technologies, Microsoft forced a new design upon all of their customers,
    More than half of all cellphone owners use a smart phone, and windows has a horrible percent of that pie. This is hardly a "small portion"
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    I'm a bit confused by Loki's statement.

When I want to start, say, Excel:
    Windows 7: Hit the Windows-Key, enter "Exc", press "Enter"
    Windows 8: Hit the Windows-Key, enter "Exc", press "Enter"

Seriously, it's almost the same only for the little fact that it looks different.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    the start button from previous windows isn't faster the windows 8 homescreen is the start button. you literally start typing what you're looking for and it starts displaying results. totally skips having to click the start button to get started.

the design of windows 8 came about for the people who were tired of having to shift gears between different kinds of tech. ios devices have the same "type to find" that windows 8 uses in place of the start buttons "search programs and files". Windows 8 isn't using never before seen design decisions, they just had problems educating the masses as they forced them into the current century.
    That's just bullshit plain and simple and I've been using Win 8 since the week it was released and am no uneducated mass. Not that re-education should normally be necessary.

Windows 7 if I wanted to open say for example my regular tracker file "Weekly Sales.xlsx" (or any other file) I could press start and type "We" and it'd be there at the top. The Start Menu would list programs, files, controls etc under one list on the menu and so type enough and the files could be at the top or at least visible and accessible as well as similarly-named applications. Try doing the same thing in Win 8 - it simply doesn't work. You try typing your documents file name and it looks for programs instead, you need to select the fact that you mean files manually. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

And even if you think it works the same (which it demonstrably doesn't) that does not justify a complete revamp as clearly "its no worse" is not the same thing as "its better".
    More than half of all cellphone owners use a smart phone, and windows has a horrible percent of that pie. This is hardly a "small portion"
    Actually that is by definition a small portion. If everyone used MS smart phones then it'd be a large portion who were potentially being helped by merging the two systems, but the "horrible percentage" is the small portion.

Its funny because Windows 7 was marketed under the catchphrase "Windows 7 was my idea" - Win 8 sure wasn't. Some of the behind-the-scenes things are better if you get rid of the new start screen bullshit but how many Windows users were thinking "if only my PC worked like my smartphone". No-one I've ever met.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    I'm a bit confused by Loki's statement.

When I want to start, say, Excel:
    Windows 7: Hit the Windows-Key, enter "Exc", press "Enter"
    Windows 8: Hit the Windows-Key, enter "Exc", press "Enter"

Seriously, it's almost the same only for the little fact that it looks different.
    If the only thing you want to load is software and not the files directly. So we're back to where we were win Windows 95 were the Start screen works similarly for programs and files but if you mean files you have to select it. Great, just two more updates due before we're back to what we had with XP in Windows 10 then
    Last edited by RandBlade; 06-15-2013 at 09:30 PM.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Actually that is by definition a small portion. If everyone used MS smart phones then it'd be a large portion who were potentially being helped by merging the two systems, but the "horrible percentage" is the small portion.

If Microsoft controlled the smartphone market everyone would have already been using the same interface, consumers wouldn't be bouncing between different tech with different UIs. Since Microsoft doesn't control the smartphone market, but does control the desktop, netbook, and laptop market people are bouncing between different tech and different UIs.

Hence a desktop UI that's more inline with the UIs consumers are using. Fuck Microsoft for trying to be a GGG.
    Here, let me snip the conversation so its a little easier for you to follow:

the design of windows 8 came about for the people who were tired of having to shift gears between different kinds of tech. ios devices have the same "type to find" that windows 8 uses in place of the start buttons "search programs and files". Windows 8 isn't using never before seen design decisions, they just had problems educating the masses as they forced them into the current century.
    So to please the small portion of people who constantly shift between different technologies
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Except that Win 8 is not the same as either Android or iOS. It's only a small proportion - those who use Win 8 for PC AND Mobile that'll "benefit" from no longer switching systems.

You're noticeably ignoring the rest of the demolition of your argument.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

If the only thing you want to load is software and not the files directly. So we're back to where we were win Windows 95 were the Start screen works similarly for programs and files but if you mean files you have to select it. Great, just two more updates due before we're back to what we had with XP in Windows 10 then
    So what? If I want files I press Win-F.

Doesn't really make a lot of sense to mix files, settings and programs. Or are you also complaining that when you're searching for pictures you need to use a different site from Google than when you're searching for websites?

Except that Win 8 is not the same as either Android or iOS. It's only a small proportion - those who use Win 8 for PC AND Mobile that'll "benefit" from no longer switching systems.
    Its the transition that is Windows 8 that is attempting to bridge that gap. To make desktop computing more like existing mobile computing.

is no one else understanding that?
    You're noticeably ignoring the rest of the demolition of your argument.
    because you switched the argument from efficiency to organizational. I use my computer for to wide a range of tasks to understand why someone would want files and programs to show up together in a quick search. Especially since so many of the users who are having the hardest time understanding windows 8 wouldn't know the difference between the two anyway.

So what? If I want files I press Win-F.
    So its not even remotely the same then. Win 7 I could press the Windows key and search for what I needed, Win 8 you need to mess around with codes in order to do so. Backwards step. So to fix your claim:

I'm a bit confused by Khen's statement.

When I want to start, say, Excel spreadsheet Weekly Sales.xlsx:
    Windows 7: Hit the Windows-Key, enter "Wee", press "Enter"
    Windows 8: Hit the Windows-Key and another key (if you try what you've always done with Windows key you now need to click on Files), enter "Wee", press "Enter"

Seriously, it's almost the same only for the little fact that it looks and acts different.
    Doesn't really make a lot of sense to mix files, settings and programs. Or are you also complaining that when you're searching for pictures you need to use a different site from Google than when you're searching for websites?
    Actually when I'm searching the internet for pictures I use Google. I search in my browser bar and Google intelligently shows a few pictures at the top as well as websites. If you want more you can then select Image Search just like in Win 7 if you wanted more you could select that.

Go back a few years and yes you needed to select Image search in advance, like you now need to select File search rather than use your default search, but that's been smartly combined now. For Google it seems that rightly the Win 7 method is the future while the Win 8/95 method is the antiquated past.

Considering Win 8 has gone from a smart search bar in the lower-left corner alone to blocking your entire screen with its Start crap you'd think it could find the space to smartly mix them all like they've managed for the last few models. How many were upset with your files coming up when you searched for them and wished that away?

Its the transition that is Windows 8 that is attempting to bridge that gap. To make desktop computing more like existing mobile computing.

I understand that. I really dislike it. I'd prefer to see mobiles becoming more like desktops than the other way around.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

So its not even remotely the same then. Win 7 I could press the Windows key and search for what I needed, Win 8 you need to mess around with codes in order to do so. Backwards step. So to fix your claim:

I'm a bit confused by Khen's statement.

When I want to start, say, Excel spreadsheet Weekly Sales.xlsx:
    Windows 7: Hit the Windows-Key, enter "Wee", press "Enter"
    Windows 8: Hit the Windows-Key and another key (if you try what you've always done with Windows key you now need to click on Files), enter "Wee", press "Enter"

Seriously, it's almost the same only for the little fact that it looks and acts different.
    Actually when I'm searching the internet for pictures I use Google. I search in my browser bar and Google intelligently shows a few pictures at the top as well as websites. If you want more you can then select Image Search just like in Win 7 if you wanted more you could select that.

Go back a few years and yes you needed to select Image search in advance, like you now need to select File search rather than use your default search, but that's been smartly combined now. For Google it seems that rightly the Win 7 method is the future while the Win 8/95 method is the antiquated past.

Considering Win 8 has gone from a smart search bar in the lower-left corner alone to blocking your entire screen with its Start crap you'd think it could find the space to smartly mix them all like they've managed for the last few models. How many were upset with your files coming up when you searched for them and wished that away?
    Good lord, Oh Noes! I have to remember a key combination! The horror!

And, no, the default setting for Google search delivers images sometimes. So, if I want to search for pictures of the molecule "cyanide"... I have to use the image search.

Does anyone actually believe that mobile devices are easier to use than desktops? If not, why would anyone want the latter to be like the former? Most of the mobile device features are premised on those devices having some handicap, whether it be a lack of a keyboard, a small screen, or poor processing power. Why would you possibly want to create those same disadvantages in desktops?

And, no, the default setting for Google search delivers images sometimes. So, if I want to search for pictures of the molecule "cyanide"... I have to use the image search.
    Huh. I typed in image molecule cyanide and that's what the default google search returned. Images of graphic representations and images of diagram representations.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

No its not. Windows 8 is an attempt to foist their mobile system onto their desktop majority to then sell Windows 8 to mobile/tablets since nobody is buying that otherwise. They've taken an unpopular* mobile concept and shoved it over what was a universally popular* desktop/laptop system.

* (Un)Popular by sales proportions.
    because you switched the argument from efficiency to organizational. I use my computer for to wide a range of tasks to understand why someone would want files and programs to show up together in a quick search. Especially since so many of the users who are having the hardest time understanding windows 8 wouldn't know the difference between the two anyway.
    Why should so many users need to understand the difference? Under Win 7 they didn't have to as the system did the legwork, the movement for years was to breaking down the barriers between them. Incidentally when I search on my iOS phone/tablet it similarly lists both Apps and Contacts/Files etc under a smart list like Win 7 did.

You claim that this is progress but Google displays intelligent smart searches, iOS displays intelligent smart searches, prior Windows developed to display intelligent smart searches and I have no idea about Google's Android but I assume like its website it too displays intelligent smart searches.

It seems that only Windows 8 has taken the completely backwards and unintelligible decision to break away from intelligent smart searches (that prior models had) and has gone backwards to needing the user to select what type of manual search they need specifically.

EG if I "Google Search" for "Hagia Sophia" (since I'm currently in Turkey) then Google returns amongst other things both a map of the location of and an image of the Hagia Sophia.

Yes 'sometimes' hence the definition of intelligent or smart search. Google determines intelligently if an image is a good idea and displays it just like prior Windows developed to as prior progress over even further prior less-intelligent versions. Win 7 would determine smartly if you're searching for applications or files (or possibly both) just as iOS figures out if you're searching for Apps or anything else ... no need for a code beforehand. This one has taken a major step backwards.

Having to remember a key combination that's never been used before and wasn't needed in prior versions is backwards and thus horrific yes. Any pretense like you had earlier that its exactly the same but just looks different is fallacious if you need to now use a code instead when you didn't before.
    Last edited by RandBlade; 06-16-2013 at 09:46 PM.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...200948920.html

Please tell me this guy is a spy working for Sony?

news is suggesting that Microsoft is reversing its Xbox One DRM stances. Expect another couple of weeks of confusion.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/...-game-policies

They reversed it.

Oh well, still doesn't affect me, as I have no intention of ever buying a physical copy of a game if I don't have to. I do think it's a shame though - they screwed up on their marketing a bit (nothing unusual there with MS), but I think it was fundamentally a good idea. There was a good deal of misinformation floating on the internet, and the benefits of the original scheme weren't emphasized enough.

For instance: Visiting a friend's house and didn't bring a game you suddenly want to play for some reason? No problem, just log in and grab it. Disk scratched all to hell? No worries, you didn't need it anyways. Can't find the disk at all? You're still fine - the disk was nothing more than a bit delivery system. And then there was the ten-person "families" who'd all have all of that. That stuff can no longer be true, at least for disc-based purchases.

Other benefits include helping developers, lowering the barrier to entry to game development, preventing all the other DRM schemes publishers are trying now, avoiding those stupid codes that EA is using everywhere, and fucking over Gamestop. Who doesn't want to fuck over Gamestop? Gamestop is a company that needs to be royally fucked over.

Seriously, fuck Gamestop.
    Last edited by Wraith; 06-19-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Doesn't Microsoft have a very strict no indie policy for the XBox One? To the point that developers as large as the guys behind OddWorld aren't allowed to publish on the XBox One? That seems like the direct opposite of lowering the barrier.

But the other stuff could have been nice, and in a perfect world the Xbox One could have given us a beefed up console version of Steam. And they must have done something right, cause Valve is already incorporating some of the XBox One features (like sharing game libraries) into Steam.

And Gamestop is awesome. Perfect place to launder gamestop giftcards (which almost everyone sells) into Steam Wallet Cash. I just traded in a $25 egift for gamestop I earned doing online surveys for Steam money cause the summer sale should be starting in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 06-20-2013 at 01:36 AM.

Doesn't Microsoft have a very strict no indie policy for the XBox One? To the point that developers as large as the behind OddWorld aren't allowed to publish on the XBox One? That seems like the direct opposite of lowering the barrier.
    I don't know about that. It would be a policy reversal, especially given that they've be pretty huge on getting indie titles onto consoles, and Sony only started because MS was leaving them in the dust. But I was really referring to creation of more professional operations with the fact that once you get a dev kit & license, you've got everything you need to sell console titles. You don't need a publisher, manufacturer, or distributor anymore. You don't need to talk Walmart or Gamestop into selling you shelf space. It's about to be possible to see fully Kickstarter funded console games. Even if they're backing off on support for indie developers, it should still be easier to go mass-market than before.

(edit: I looked into it, and it sounds like they are raising the bar for indie titles, in that you now need a license from somewhere, but that seems to be because they're no longer segregating them from the AAA titles and don't want shovelware. I'm actually not sure about this, and hope they still have some greenlight-esque thing to elevate quality garage-developed games. It might just come down to how willing MS is to hand out licenses like candy to any promising looking game.)

And Gamestop is awesome. Perfect place to laundry gamestop giftcards (which almost everyone sells) into Steam Wallet Cash. I just traded in a $25 egift for gamestop I earned doing online surveys for Steam money cause the summer sale should be starting in a couple of weeks.
    No. Fuck Gamestop.
    Last edited by Wraith; 06-20-2013 at 12:14 AM.

What's wrong with GameStop? (Don't have it here)

Imagine the horribleness of every minimum wage job, take out the food prep, and you've got gamestop.

Management pushes employees to get paid via debit cards that are loaded with fees. part-time and unpredictable hours, forced midnight launches. Horribly understaffed, when I went to trade in my gamestop giftcard for steam cash it took half an hour of waiting in line because there was only 1 employee in the store. by the time I left the rest of the customers in the stores had moved the line against one of the walls and sat down.

their trade in values are crap, the markups on trade ins are insane. They cut corners every chance they get, even when its supposed to be up to the customer. They caused a mini-shitstorm a few months ago because employees were switching people over to digital magazine subscriptions without asking, or ignoring the customers preference when they were asked.

They are the main force behind requiring developers to include pre-order and/or exclusive content.

Unless you preorder and pick up on day 1, your "new" copy of a game is almost guaranteed to be opened, and lacking any preorder incentives that either compete with Gamestop's business model or Impulse service, or were advertised as preorder bonuses (even if they came prepackaged in X number of games).

Employees commonly take games home to play, cool for the employee but bullshit for the customer.

They pretty much consider the PC market to not exist, most stores have maybe a single end cap for pc accessories, games, giftcards like steam, and advertisements for its impulse service.

So dorkly got their hands on Microsoft's first draft for the DRM reversal:

Spoiler:

On Gamestop: When a new game is sold full-price, the seller makes $10-15, the publisher makes $10-$20, and the developer often makes just under $10. Gamestop didn't like this, and figured out that they could sell the same game at the same price over and over and over again, and the second sale and later they were making $40 while everyone else was making jack. Their business model is extremely predatory, and based around selling the exact same copy repeatedly and screwing everyone else out of their cuts. They buy used games for $5 in store credit, and then sell them for $55. This isn't any significant benefit to the consumer either, as they often only save a few dollars for used copies, and Gamestop works to prevent them from actually having the choice to buy new.

Then there are the store policies like forcing people to preorder if they want to forgo the anal rape. Like OG said, they open up and screw around with any new games, but hey, they don't want people who buy new to have better quality products than the people who buy used, since they make more money off the latter and don't have to share. They have been caught before actually removing and destroying content from the packages of "new" games just because they didn't want consumers to have it. This was as company-wide policy, not just one store doing something wrong. They will outright lie to people about availability of new titles, and seek out ways to punish anyone who doesn't preorder - it's company policy not to sell new games to people on launch day unless they preordered regardless of stock, which involves giving them money for nothing in return. They count on customer mistakes causing a number of preorders to go unclaimed and allowing them to keep the money having given nothing in exchange.

If you ever do try to buy anything from them, you have to go through a long ritual where they try to make you preorder random stuff and subscribe to stupid magazines inferior to the stuff you can get for free on the internet. Because of the demands they make on their employees, it's not uncommon to hear stories of people who had a grudge held against them for refusing to buy any of that extra crap. Oh, and whatever you game you buy has a good chance to just be an expensive paper weight. Because they prefer selling used games, and open, pick apart, and man-handle the new games, a higher than normal amount of their products are defective in some manner. They don't have any tests or quality control to make sure they're not selling useless junk. (Fun fact: sometimes the only reason they have used copies of a game on launch day is because somebody returned a defective copy, and then they can claim both the credit from the publisher and a used copy sale!)

PC games are harder to sell used, so Gamestop barely acknowledges their existence.

They also wield, and abuse, an large amount of power in the games industry. They make publishers pay for shelf space long in advance (Walmart actually does the same thing), which pushes publishers to release games at a given time ready or not, and software development is incredibly unpredictable to start with. They once outright murdered the developer Sir-Tech because Sir-Tech didn't want to pay them enough money to stock their games - they threatened to increase the price they charged any publisher who did business with Sir-Tech games. Sir-Tech finally went totally under for lack of a publisher, and only managed to get their last game out because Electronics Boutique (Gamestop's chief competitor at the time) took pity and agreed to publish for them a year after the game was finished.

Then they went and killed Electronics Boutique. Where Gamestop became big based on predatory sales and finding new ways to screw over more people, EB became big from crazy-good customer service, at a level that's no longer possible to find anywhere. (They felt "This game had only 20 hours of content" was a perfectly good reason to issue a full refund) There are still stores called EB around, but even the ones that haven't changed their names to Gamestop yet are now just Gamestop dancing around in an EB skin suit, a crude mockery of what they once were.

tl;dr: Fuck Gamestop.

pointless story: driving back from Georgia last week I forced the family to pull over cause I could see an EB Games sign from the highway. Walked in and the place was decked from floor to ceiling in Gamestop signage, the only thing they didn't replace was the sign outside then I got my giftcard and at the bottom was this disclaimer:

"GameStop operates EBgames, Babbage’s, Electronics Boutique, EBX, Funcoland, Planet X, Software Etc., EBgames.com, Kongregate.com, and GameStop.com."

They have pretty much eaten up any type of B&M competition this country once had

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    On Gamestop: When a new game is sold full-price, the seller makes $10-15, the publisher makes $10-$20, and the developer often makes just under $10. Gamestop didn't like this, and figured out that they could sell the same game at the same price over and over and over again, and the second sale and later they were making $40 while everyone else was making jack. Their business model is extremely predatory, and based around selling the exact same copy repeatedly and screwing everyone else out of their cuts. They buy used games for $5 in store credit, and then sell them for $55. This isn't any significant benefit to the consumer either, as they often only save a few dollars for used copies, and Gamestop works to prevent them from actually having the choice to buy new.

Then there are the store policies like forcing people to preorder if they want to forgo the anal rape. Like OG said, they open up and screw around with any new games, but hey, they don't want people who buy new to have better quality products than the people who buy used, since they make more money off the latter and don't have to share. They have been caught before actually removing and destroying content from the packages of "new" games just because they didn't want consumers to have it. This was as company-wide policy, not just one store doing something wrong. They will outright lie to people about availability of new titles, and seek out ways to punish anyone who doesn't preorder - it's company policy not to sell new games to people on launch day unless they preordered regardless of stock, which involves giving them money for nothing in return. They count on customer mistakes causing a number of preorders to go unclaimed and allowing them to keep the money having given nothing in exchange.

If you ever do try to buy anything from them, you have to go through a long ritual where they try to make you preorder random stuff and subscribe to stupid magazines inferior to the stuff you can get for free on the internet. Because of the demands they make on their employees, it's not uncommon to hear stories of people who had a grudge held against them for refusing to buy any of that extra crap. Oh, and whatever you game you buy has a good chance to just be an expensive paper weight. Because they prefer selling used games, and open, pick apart, and man-handle the new games, a higher than normal amount of their products are defective in some manner. They don't have any tests or quality control to make sure they're not selling useless junk. (Fun fact: sometimes the only reason they have used copies of a game on launch day is because somebody returned a defective copy, and then they can claim both the credit from the publisher and a used copy sale!)

PC games are harder to sell used, so Gamestop barely acknowledges their existence.

They also wield, and abuse, an large amount of power in the games industry. They make publishers pay for shelf space long in advance (Walmart actually does the same thing), which pushes publishers to release games at a given time ready or not, and software development is incredibly unpredictable to start with. They once outright murdered the developer Sir-Tech because Sir-Tech didn't want to pay them enough money to stock their games - they threatened to increase the price they charged any publisher who did business with Sir-Tech games. Sir-Tech finally went totally under for lack of a publisher, and only managed to get their last game out because Electronics Boutique (Gamestop's chief competitor at the time) took pity and agreed to publish for them a year after the game was finished.

Then they went and killed Electronics Boutique. Where Gamestop became big based on predatory sales and finding new ways to screw over more people, EB became big from crazy-good customer service, at a level that's no longer possible to find anywhere. (They felt "This game had only 20 hours of content" was a perfectly good reason to issue a full refund) There are still stores called EB around, but even the ones that haven't changed their names to Gamestop yet are now just Gamestop dancing around in an EB skin suit, a crude mockery of what they once were.

tl;dr: Fuck Gamestop.
    Why so angry? Stop shopping there and chill.

One still feels the effects of its presence even if they don't shop there. That's the point for a large part of his rant.

Its amazing how much of American capitalism survives on ignorance and assholishness

If they're so crap why does no one else launch a better competitor?

If going game shopping bricks and mortar I normally go to Game but recently seeing more and more of a new rival that's opened up called Grainger Games (I nickname it Ginger Games as its all bright orange). If there's a gap to fill, someone should fill it.

Though I suspect there's already plenty of other alternatives. Walmart, eBay etc all sell new/used games I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Why so angry? Stop shopping there and chill.
    They literally steal parts of your purchase and have bought out all the competitors in that commercial space. Wraith is entirely justified.

If they're so crap why does no one else launch a better competitor?

If going game shopping bricks and mortar I normally go to Game but recently seeing more and more of a new rival that's opened up called Grainger Games (I nickname it Ginger Games as its all bright orange). If there's a gap to fill, someone should fill it.

Though I suspect there's already plenty of other alternatives. Walmart, eBay etc all sell new/used games I'm sure.
    They ate most of their competition, and eat anyone else who arises to challenge them directly before they get big enough to be a threat. There are alternatives though, in non-specialist stores mainly like Best Buy, Walmart, and Amazon - if there weren't, the FTC would probably be all over them for their predatory practices. Nobody can beat Gamestop's omnipresence though, and at this point they're going to be able to keep going just by cheating kids and their parents who don't realize how screwed they're getting.

I just consider anyone who buys from them (excluding a few deeply discounted items) as paying a stupid tax.