Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Xbox One

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Implied by my post? Go get your reading glasses, Rand.
    No, this post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I would love to know the real numbers for how many of their game trade-ins aren't stolen. Its crazy obvious with the smaller games, with how many PSP and DS games that don't have cases, or when you get a fresh trade in that still has the redbox sticker around the ring.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Then you're reading into something that isn't there. It would be foolish to think that they deal in 0% of stolen goods, so I pondered a question for what the real number was. I never said it was a majority, but I'm also not ignorant of the real world and suggesting that people only sell gamestop their own legally owned games.

I didn't mention pawnshops, ebay, fleamarkets or craigslist because the discussion hadn't turned that far off track yet. Those locations also don't suffer from several layers of management that can all claim ignorance when the police do go after gamestop, which does happen. Sadly its usually the minimum wage employees that are thrown under the bus, with corporate citing written policy while the employees can only cite verbal sale pressure.

and redbox games are games US peeps can check out from vending machine type boxes inside of most gas stations and grocery stores. Easily spoofed with a stolen/false credit card and/or a copier. Its quite common to check out a $60 game from redbox, scan it and print out the QR code, and return the scan inside of the game case. Then walk across the street to the gamestop and sell that day 1 game for lunch money. When the next person attempts to check out that game from a redbox it boils down to a case of 2 customers both claiming the other is trying to fleece redbox.

Since you can technically buy a redbox game by not returning it within a month, gamestop is free and clear to take the games as legit with no questions asked.

http://www.redbox.com/
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 07-04-2013 at 04:05 AM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

As part of Microsoft's half assed attempt to keep people interested in the 360 while waiting on the One, they made Crackdown free as of today. Its a good game, but its only claim to fame is that buying it got you into the Halo beta, and you can buy a physical copy at Gamestop for $3.

For how much Microsoft talked up this free game program during E3, its been rather underwhelming. The PS+ offers are way better.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Not entirely sure what the point of that pic is?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

another example of a game using E3 to promise a Lambo and delivering a Yugo. 2D duplicated sprites. People were expecting to be past that point by now. Using a launch title to start over and deliver half the content of Forza 4.

and its not just the crowds that came out shittier
    Click to view the full version

Another game rushed to hit launch date, shame.

I find it funny that back when PS3/XBox/XBox 360 were around always wanted a PS3 for the few exclusives that were not on the XBox, everything else on the XBox that I usually wanted to play was on the PC anyway. Now it 2013 and the guts of both new gen consoles are basically custom PCs, not sure if that is the case with the Ouya as well but I am pretty sure it will be the case with those Steam Boxes what ever they end up being. Just makes me think why don't these competitors just go ahead and make one console to rule them all.

Looking at the complaints the devs have or the publishers have, the AAA titles have become so ridiculously expensive to produce since they are in effect tending to full CGI interactive movies more than games in some cases that really maybe the next gen should be that way so they don't waste time on making ports and just focus on making a good game, or take more risks and innovate etc.

Someone needs to find a way to generate high quality art assets for games that can be shared in a non patent way, it seems obvious that is the bottle neck that basically ruins a game company.

Ouya is AFAIK an android, cheap(ish) computer that, from what I hear, is mostly used for emulating old games. If you want that, I use a raspberry pi for that ($35). So that's really not comparable to any of the consoles.

I am pretty interested in the Steam Box/SteamOS stuff. From the way I understood it, it's basically just a gaming PC, probably pretty quiet, and slim design, but you can basically run the SteamOS on any computer you have. As for the value of a SteamOS vs running Steam big picture on a windows machine, I can't really say until it's out One big plus for me, comparing it to the consoles, is that you can upgrade the machine, you can probably tinker with it to get it the way I like it, and unlike consoles, I'll already have a bunch of good games to play with. And it's probably a lot easier if you want to use a mod, since Steam is pretty much pro that. I am curious about the controller, and how well it works, and the streaming of games from computers, how exactly that works out (for example, could I have a loud computer nextdoor and stream the picture to my tv in this room?).
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I think the limit on streaming content around the home is basically what the wifi data caps are, HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 has an incredible data through put so, you probably could stream content like that if it was lower resolution like 720p TV or if you could live with degradation of image quality and possible the additional effective input lag, if you play FPS titles input lag would drive you to rage, I suspect other twitch/skill games would also.

I must have miss read the Ouya intent kickstarter. If that is the case it definitely isn't.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Naw, if you stream it will be put through an H.264 encoder first. You don't stream uncompressed data, even if it was only 720p.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?