Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Xbox One

Default Xbox One

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hub/reveal

Don't have much to say about the system yet. Already seems power hungry in off/standby, and the new Kinect has an interesting design that I'm curious/wary about.

Wonder if they fixed the kinect's horrible close range use and inability to work in a noisy room (kids). Cause that's all they are talking about at the moment, how everything goes through Kinect.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 05-21-2013 at 05:34 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

30 minutes in without showing a game, or calling it a console.

God I hope the xbox hasnt lost its gamer focus. Cause most of the apps they've shown so far look pointless for a device like this, and they all look like they could be easily tied into a paid live account.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Biggest news so far is a "premium" Halo TV series with Spielberg. Go figure.
    Still no in game footage, a couple of rendered clips, but no game time.

and its over.

The PS4 announcement was to long, this one felt to short and not focused. But Microsoft's live streaming was of way better quality. Not a single drop, and only a couple of buffer moments.

They're probably saving most of the game stuff until E3 next month. Rumors before the webcast were that they were holding back a lot for then.

Might explain why Sony went so early, put a nice gap between their announcement and E3.

So far the PS4 seems to focus more on my wants in relation to gaming. New Xbox seems to have a lot of features that I'm simply not interested in. Like they're trying to force the console guys into accepting a PC. But that all depends on what they decide to make free, and whats going to be hidden behind a paid live membership. Been hearing rumors of a new dashboard and live points going away, so its all still up in the air.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 05-21-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Apparently from the BBC the PS4 and Xbox One (what a stupid name) are both using x86 CPU architecture which will make it easier for developers to develop cross-platform with PCs. I'm guessing since this is a system that'll be used for the next decade it'll be x64 (x86-64).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

they are both 64

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...inect-attached

according to IGN the xbox one won't work without the Kinect attachment. that's a huge turn off.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...inect-attached

according to IGN the xbox one won't work without the Kinect attachment. that's a huge turn off.
    I don't understand what this means. I'm not familiar with the current Kinect but considering the Xbox has the new (version?) built in, how exactly can you "detach" it?
    Praise the man who seeks the truth, but run from the one who has found it.

its not built in. its a packaged accessory. A rather large one at that.

Info on Microsoft's attacks against the used game market are still fuzzy. They want to charge users a fee to install games onto more than one account. Don't know if that means different users on the same box would have to pay, the same user account across multiple boxes, or if installing games will be a requirement with the xbox one. None of the options seem promising.

Doesn't seem to matter how similar the architecture, developers and publishers are already planning to give an artificial boost to the console. The new FIFA engine for example will not be coming over to the PC.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 05-22-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Is the PC engine issue not simple because there's no guarantee older machines can handle the newer engine? They'd get slammed if the new game didn't work on lots of computers. In a year or two they'll probably use it.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Super long gif, but it seems to cover most stuff. Discussion on how true some of the claims are (if you have time to dig through the random unrelated stuff): http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/commen..._new_xbox_one/

No interest in reading a long thread but not seen any formal confirmation that the second-hand market will be getting blocked or that connecting to the internet will be required.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...e-world-works/

Speaking to CVG this afternoon, the corporate VP confirmed that Xbox One players who activate a pre-owned retail disc will need to pay the same price as the original buyer in order to access its content.

which suggests a requirement to be online to play, or at least activate, but i'll see if I can find a more specific link on that issue.

EDIT:

http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox...every-24-hours

Harrison later told the site that the Xbox One will be required to connect to the Internet at least once every 24 hours.

This thing does not sound very consumer friendly.

No official confirmation yet then? I'd be amazed if they actually implement that, it'd really cut the interest in their device I'm sure.

At a time where this generation of consoles is likely to face the toughest sales conditions for decades - and MS itself is facing struggling sales conditions across the board - I highly doubt they'll be stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    No official confirmation yet then? I'd be amazed if they actually implement that, it'd really cut the interest in their device I'm sure.
    It'd skyrocket developer interest though, and people will follow the games.

I really don't have an issue with any of the announced plans so far, but I'll need to see games I want before I decide to buy the thing.

Developers are interested in where the consumers are, if people don't buy the new units then the developers won't be interested for long. See Wii U and EA who've announced they're not developing even a single Wii U game anymore (but still developing Wii games). FIFA 14 and other big EA titles will be available for Wii but not Wii U.

At the moment the current (PS3/360) generation of consoles are already very good, very popular HD consoles. The games market is getting ever more fractured with touch-devices and social gaming taking attention away from traditional markets. There is a lot of competition for the gamers attention and a big question mark over why even bother getting the new consoles? Previous consoles have had major obvious selling points - the last ones being the first HD consoles. What are the immediate selling points of this generation for people who already own HD consoles, PCs and smartphones and social media gaming?

Pissing off possible consumers won't make people leap at laying down hundreds on a new console.

prices are hopefully nothing more than placeholders, but possible launch lineup:

Click to view the full version

from a rumored amazon leak

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ork-apparently

According to new reports, the used game fee will be paid by the store you buy the used game at. This is likely going to shut out smaller game stores (which there are so few of anyway) because of the tech required to work with Microsoft's cloud and send them their cut. It could also spell the end of cheap old games. That would effectively kill the used game market for me.

Combining this rumor with the last, this could mean that Microsoft would be able to decide individual fees on games. Popular games having higher fees, like the article suggesting $52 for a trade in.

I have to ask, can I play my 360 games on this beast?
    Last edited by Veldan Rath; 06-02-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

<facepalm>

But at least you'll be able to watch Netflix with your Xbox!
    Hope is the denial of reality

Its not surprising considering how both the PS4 and Xbox One use pretty much industry standard architecture while the 360 and ps3 did not. Forcing backwards compatibility into the next gen would have meant a hardware solution at best (pricey), or a software solution at worst (not universal, opens door for emulators).

The PS4 is at the very least offering a streaming service to keep the moaning in check for the moment.

Better Half was thinking of Xbox One as a family purchase for Christmas...but...I really don't need more consoles in my house to play different games...and with how games are being made for all the time internet connection for PC's, I am SO losing faith...I need to find more authors to read (and so do my kids), and more RPG games to play (and so do my kids).

its so rarely a good idea to buy a console the first holiday anyway. once the rush dies down, they will throw incentives at the machines to inflate sales numbers. its all about expanding that base the first couple of years.

$50 gift cards from target are common, and I remember Walmart's & Sony's 15 free blurays with the PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Better Half was thinking of Xbox One as a family purchase for Christmas...but...I really don't need more consoles in my house to play different games...and with how games are being made for all the time internet connection for PC's, I am SO losing faith...I need to find more authors to read (and so do my kids), and more RPG games to play (and so do my kids).
    I could give some RPG recommendations. What are your/their favorite RPGs? Any specific type of RPGs you're/they're into?
    Hope is the denial of reality

I'm entrenched in Pathfinder. I play the board game Dungeon with the kids. (training wheels)

Did you adopt so you wouldn't be short on players?

Wouldn't blame him. Brent being 2nd player age helped me get over considering him baggage,
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 06-04-2013 at 01:06 AM.