Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrorist beheading attack in London

Default Terrorist beheading attack in London

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22630303

A soldier in a Help for Heroes T-Shirt has been beheaded in a suspected terrorist attack in Woolwich, London. Seems from reports 2 men reportedly shouting "Allahu Akhbar" first hit him with a car and then attacked with machetes and beheaded in a brutal and broad daylight attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

What's up with the machete attacks? First Stockholm, now London.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

I'm actually surprised we don't see more of this (these kind of attacks are impossible to prevent, and there are at least a few thousand wannabe terrorists in Britain). Sad to hear nevertheless.
    Hope is the denial of reality

if it doesn't load try clicking the youtube button to go to the site, may require you to sign in.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Been shown on all our news channels and picture is on practically all of tomorrow's front pages. But that's a Cockney accent - he may be talking about "our women" and "our lands" but I'd guess he's been in the UK for years if not born and bred here.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Are we allowed to call these ones Islamist Extremists or will certain members get the vapors?
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

The Beeb is generally using the line "alleged Islamic extremists" for now. I think it's safe to say they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Are we allowed to call these ones Islamist Extremists or will certain members get the vapors?
    I thought you were supposed to call them chavs
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I'm going to guess Nigerian. A possible member of Boko Haram?

These ones? "Profiling" this guy is a bit like what happened with the Boston bombers, though. What are you going to focus on first -- skin color, accent, citizenship, national roots, religion -- or that they committed an extreme act of violence?

It's not clear yet if he has ties to any organized terrorist group, or is a lone wolf. Hard to separate out delusional mental illness with this shit, when disjointed thinking means being vulnerable to 'indoctrination', and can lead to joining any manner of extremist groups. That's how skinheads, KKK, White Supremacy, Aryan Brotherhood (and gangs) succeed in recruitment, too.

I'm not sure it's helpful to proclaim anyone who yells "Allahu Akhbar" after their crime is an Islamic Extremist or terrorist, any more than yelling "God is Great" means a Christian or Jewish Extremist or terrorist.

If mental illness was evenly distributed among races/religions, and mental illness was the driving force behind these attacks, surely we should be seeing an equal amount of Christian/Jewish/Muslim-inspired attacks? Especially when you take into account the fact that Muslims make up 1-2% of Americans and perhaps double that in England...

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    These ones? "Profiling" this guy is a bit like what happened with the Boston bombers, though. What are you going to focus on first -- skin color, accent, citizenship, national roots, religion -- or that they committed an extreme act of violence?

It's not clear yet if he has ties to any organized terrorist group, or is a lone wolf. Hard to separate out delusional mental illness with this shit, when disjointed thinking means being vulnerable to 'indoctrination', and can lead to joining any manner of extremist groups. That's how skinheads, KKK, White Supremacy, Aryan Brotherhood (and gangs) succeed in recruitment, too.

I'm not sure it's helpful to proclaim anyone who yells "Allahu Akhbar" after their crime is an Islamic Extremist or terrorist, any more than yelling "God is Great" means a Christian or Jewish Extremist or terrorist.
    Wow...Phil from Modern Family is more coherent.

The act of violence is what they did already has our focus, you just have 'profiling' dialed up so high up in your PC white-noise that you can't get past it...

I can lay odds that this was more Muslim looniNess, but if it comes out I was wrong I can eat my crow with extra salt...you on the other hand, never will.

Are there like 15 people just milling around doing nothing? What the frak?

I'm actually curious why these guys got shot in the end. They didn't seem to be very aggressive after committing the murder...

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    If mental illness was evenly distributed among races/religions, and mental illness was the driving force behind these attacks, surely we should be seeing an equal amount of Christian/Jewish/Muslim-inspired attacks? Especially when you take into account the fact that Muslims make up 1-2% of Americans and perhaps double that in England...
    Hard to make those correlations and causations, when "poverty" is a variable that isn't "evenly distributed" among races, religions, or nations. That can mean anything from economic poverty to information/educational poverty to democratic voter poverty. Any of those things can lead to various forms of mental "illness", but a better term might be an intellectual "deficit". Chinese and Korean minority refugees/immigrants are good examples of this quandary/dilemma.

Wow...Phil from Modern Family is more coherent.

The act of violence is what they did already has our focus, you just have 'profiling' dialed up so high up in your PC white-noise that you can't get past it...

I can lay odds that this was more Muslim looniNess, but if it comes out I was wrong I can eat my crow with extra salt...you on the other hand, never will.
    I don't think betting odds, like a poker game, is a good way to make public policy. But if that's the game, I'd give "looniNess" the highest trump card.

Do you think we have more poor Muslims in the US than we have poor Christians? And where are the terrorist attacks from the poor Mexicans?

Do you think we have more poor Muslims in the US than we have poor Christians? And where are the terrorist attacks from the poor Mexicans?
    There are millions of poor, or impoverished Muslims around the world. Mexico has millions of poor and impoverished people, straddling US borders, too. Organized/mafia/illegal groups from Mexico are predominantly Christian, specifically Roman Catholic, dealing in illegal drugs and weapons....that cater to US demands.

You tell me --- which ethnic or religious group poses a greater public danger than poverty and ignorance?

I'm going to guess Nigerian. A possible member of Boko Haram?
    Nigerian indeed.

And as Rand indicated, the one who spoke to camera had a full on London accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    What do you suggest they do? They tried helping the victim, but not a lot can be done when you've been hacked apart.

All that can be done is to call the authorities.

I'm actually curious why these guys got shot in the end. They didn't seem to be very aggressive after committing the murder...
    The local police waited until the armed police showed.

As soon as the armed police showed, the terrorists rushed them. At that point I'm sure training dictates that you open fire.

They both survived though.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    There are millions of poor, or impoverished Muslims around the world. Mexico has millions of poor and impoverished people, straddling US borders, too. Organized/mafia/illegal groups from Mexico are predominantly Christian, specifically Roman Catholic, dealing in illegal drugs and weapons....that cater to US demands.

You tell me --- which ethnic or religious group poses a greater public danger than poverty and ignorance?
    ... Nigerians...

If mental illness was evenly distributed among races/religions
    Is it?

and mental illness was the driving force behind these attacks, surely we should be seeing an equal amount of Christian/Jewish/Muslim-inspired attacks?
    Not necessarily. Crazy can show itself in different ways depending on culture etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Is it?

Not necessarily. Crazy can show itself in different ways depending on culture etc.
    Shhhh...yer profiling.

Mr Cameron highlighted the actions of Cub Scout leader Ingrid Loyau-Kennett as demonstrating that "confronting extremism is a job for us all".

"When told by the attacker he wanted to start a war in London, she replied, 'You're going to lose. It is only you versus many.' She spoke for us all," Mr Cameron said.

According to the Daily Telegraph Ms Loyau-Kennett asked the man: "Would you like to give me what you have in your hands?"

"He was covered with blood," she said. "I thought I had better talk to him before he starts attacking somebody else."

Pretty courageous.

Meanwhile ...

Two mosques have been attacked, with the perpetrators arrested.

Around 75 EDL members confronted riot police in Woolwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    [i]Mr Cameron highlighted the actions of Cub Scout leader Ingrid Loyau-Kennett as demonstrating that "confronting extremism is a job for us all".

Pretty courageous.
    yet more evidence that dealing with a small group of children is no harder than dealing with a knife carrying nutjob.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

The soldier killed in an attack on a London street has been named as Drummer Lee Rigby of the 2nd Battalion the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.

Drummer Rigby, 25, from Manchester, leaves behind a two-year-old son.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post

The local police waited until the armed police showed.

As soon as the armed police showed, the terrorists rushed them. At that point I'm sure training dictates that you open fire.

They both survived though.
    Shame that the terrorists survived. Did I just read correctly that local police ARE NOT ARMED?

Shame that the terrorists survived. Did I just read correctly that local police ARE NOT ARMED?
    What rock have you been living under? UK police is widely known for not being usually armed.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    What rock have you been living under? UK police is widely known for not being usually armed.
    Agreed, it was the butt of jokes for a long time over here.

"Stop! Or I'll say Stop again!"