Thread: Married

Default Married

Yesterday Wed 29 May Amanda and I got married in a truly amazing day. We had a vintage style wedding in a wonderful old style country house. Friends and relatives from all over England and Amanda's parents over from Canada.

Don't have the pictures yet they'll take a few weeks from our photographer though a few camera-phone pictures are popping up on Facebook today. Personally it's the one day neither of us had our own phones on us all day.

Started off the night before with both immediate families at a steakhouse down the road with me sharing a room with my brother and her with her sister. Interesting logistics then in the morning to make sure we never bumped into each other.

Had the ceremony at 2pm and Amanda was stunning in her dress . As a surprise we'd arranged for an Owl to fly in the rings. Went very smoothly at the right moment flying to Amanda's father (in his kilt) who passed them to my Best Man (my brother). Amanda seemed to be cool as a cucumber but I was so nervous.

After the ceremony we had an Ice Cream stall set up with fresh and really tasty locally made Ice Cream with the guy doing it in a traditional rainbow style striped suit. Went down a treat with all the guests.

Wedding Breakfast was a really nice meal of Chicken Pâté starter, Pork Belly with crackling and mash main and Eton Mess dessert. Really good quality. For the wedding cake we had cupcakes from a lovely local couple that we know. They made them amazing and in fitting to our theme perfectly. The bridesmaid's speech by Amanda's sister got some big laughs for some amusing childhood stories that had Amanda holding her head in her hands and everyone else laughing. My brother didn't embarrass me but gave a soppy speech instead as Best Man. I was very nervous with my speech but got a nice round of applause for both sets of parents when I said how nice it was they'd be married 31 and 32 years each this year and how special that is nowadays and a great example for Amanda and I.

For our first dance we had Ellie Goulding - Your Song (remake of Elton John, was on the John Lewis Christmas ad a few years ago, first YouTube clip in that opening post of that thread I believe). Started with a 'high school shuffle' before doing some proper dance moves ... but we had a "surprise" wedding dance. The song 'scratched' after some turns into a clip of Rocky Horror's Time Warp and then a few other song clips including Can't Touch This before ending with Thriller then scratching back into Your Song. We met for the very first time many years ago at a performance of Rocky Horror so it was sentimental as well as a load of fun but all the guests said they loved the First Dance. We'll never be world class dancers and I'm no Michael Jackson but it was fun and got a lot of laughs and attention. We were so apprehensive with this as although seen surprise dances on TV and YouTube, never seen one in real life (and don't think any guests had). So much better I think than 4 minutes of either high school shuffle or cringeworthy dancing and very glad we did it. Though I'd never practiced it with her in the dress obviously so that made it much more complicated.

Amanda had a really sweet Father/Daughter dance afterwards to I Loved Her First, a really fitting song for that at weddings. I joined halfway through and danced with my mother at which point I've been told that it brought my brother to tears.

Overall it was a fantastic day, I wouldn't change a single thing. Was so nervous for most of the day I barely ate or drank until after the ceremony/speeches/dance was out of the way. A great day with family and friends that we will cherish forever.

Feels really weird now to be wearing a wedding ring. Never worn any jewellery besides my watch so its very different. Amanda's family is in the country for another week so we'll be staying for now, then a weeks break with nothing to do before going on Honeymoon in a fortnight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Aww, sounds like a lovely day, congratulations.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Huge congratulations to you all Rand.

What was it I said to you many moons ago, when you were questioning whether to ask Amanda out and that you didn't want to spoil the wonderful friendship you guys had? That the best and most solid relationships are those born from friendship first.

Oh and ... pix or it didn't happen.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Congrats!
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Congrats! Sounds like a great day

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Feels really weird now to be wearing a wedding ring. Never worn any jewellery besides my watch so its very different.
    For me, this was the only thing that makes the entire experience feel different from any other day. Going from never wearing any jewelry to something as thick as the one ring on my finger 24/7.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 05-30-2013 at 04:26 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Congrats.

I'm waiting for the inevitable kat blog post about this.

Congratulations, RB and Amanda! Best wishes for a lifetime of happiness together.

Congratulations Rand! I hope you two have a lifetime together full of love and joy.

Congrats!

P.S.: tl;dr
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Congratulations, RandBlade!

Wooooooooo! I had no idea Owls were some kind of wedding tradition. Congrats on your future together and your pending re-conquista of Canada!

Congratulations.
    Congratulations America

Fantastic! : Sounds like a great event that hit all the important, high notes. So happy for your happy!

Also, feeling a bit of my own glad from the Atari years, when we encouraged you to 'pursue' this woman you found so special. That was long ago and far away, when you saw yourself as the fumbling, inexperienced, and insecure suitor....who didn't want to scare her off or be confused by your 'intentions', when you didn't know how to define or quantify your own 'intentions'.

You are the consummate English gentleman, Rand. Nice to see that 'good guys' like you can garner respect, trust, and friendship first, which leads to romantic Love almost by happenstance....and a dual commitment. As a couple, you have the foundation, and all the 'ingredients' for a lifelong, satisfying Union.