Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Riots in Turkey?

He wasn't sufficiently communist or anti-American for the Penns and Sarandons of the world.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    By that yardstick, Hitler must've done something right.
    Yeah because ...

A: Hitler was contemporary to Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon etc
    B: Everything said next to a smiley is 100% serious

This is my serious face:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23474404 Erdogan tops himself. Seriously, what is wrong with that man?
    You should ask 'what's wrong with UK libel laws'. I think the only thing one conclude is that the Padisah enjoys the effects of his bull in a chinashop behaviour.

The Turkish central bank spent like $6bn to sustain the value of the TL. With very limited success.
    Congratulations America

So some Turkish professor was complaining on a Facebook group for political scientists that US border patrol was rude to her (fair enough). Another Turkish professor replied that she suspects it's because of resentment over the actions of the Ottoman Empire. I kid you not (both are professors in British universities). What kind of crap do they teach in Turkey?

Usually elites are too condescending to assume government functionaries don't know about world history.

Except in the previous sentence she complained that the border people told her that Turkish was like Arabic, which is is why she was stopped. So these people don't know the difference between Turkish and Arabic, but know about ancient Turkish history.

I don't think I even learnt a single thing about the Ottoman Empire in school, that it even existed let alone anything else about it.

I think I know more about the Ottomans from Europa Universalis and other games than anything else.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Turkish education in hard science is halfway decent in the better schools and universities. Other than that it all takes place in a parallel universe. You have no idea the kind of nonsense people in Turkey take to be proven facts. Everything is based on a deeply felt victimhood; Turks have no friends in the world but the Turks themselves. Turkey is not the first and richest country in the world because of outside machinations. Depending on the particular paranoia of the speaker the source of those machinations can be, Europeans in general, the Brits in particular, Americans, Jews, and then some puppets of the first 4 categories.
    Congratulations America

Why the Brits? I'm not aware of any British Imperialism in Turkey - I thought the Allies only occupied for 5 years between the fall of the Ottoman Empire and the rise of Ataturk.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Why the Brits? I'm not aware of any British Imperialism in Turkey - I thought the Allies only occupied for 5 years between the fall of the Ottoman Empire and the rise of Ataturk.
    Ever heard of Lawrence of Arabia ?
    Congratulations America

Yes but I've never seen that movie

The sad thing is that that Treaty is still very much alive in Turkey today. Usually as a very negative source of reasons as to why minorities don't have full civil rights.
    Congratulations America

I've heard. Pretty much every major policy still gets justified by Sevres.

I've heard. Pretty much every major policy still gets justified by Sevres.
    Not to mention the national paranoia; everything is just part of an old plan to dismember Turkey like the Ottoman empire was dismembered.
    Congratulations America

At least it's something the Islamists and nationalists agree on.

At least it's something the Islamists and nationalists agree on.
    With the one distinction that the nationalists suspect the islamists of also being part of a complot to carve up the country.
    Congratulations America