Thread: Kindle Touch Died, Replacement Suggestions?

Unhappy Kindle Touch Died, Replacement Suggestions?

So I accidentally left my 1.5 year old Kindle Touch on the edge of a seat. Of course it fell, and this time the screen broke and it won't turn on. I've been very satisfied with Amazon so far, so I'm curious about potential Kindle replacements. Any advice? I can get these models at a reduced price too, so I'm curious if any of you have experience with these:

1. Certified Refurbished Kindle, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display, Graphite - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers for $47.20
    2. Certified Refurbished Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers for $71.20
    3. Certified Refurbished Kindle Touch 3G (ATT), Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers for $103.20
    4. Certified Refurbished Kindle Paperwhite 3G, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Free 3G + Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers for $127.20
    5. Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire 7", LCD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers for $102.20
    6. Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers for $135.20
    7. Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 32 GB - Includes Special Offers for $155.20

I've heard good things about the paperwhite. Seems like a logical upgrade from an older kindle, but its a good bit more than that base model eink.

of course that's only if you're going to use your kindle as a book reader. Otherwise I'd go for an HD and enjoy some SpongeBob.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I read a crapton, and don't watch too much tv, so I'm not real excited about the Fire's music and video capabilities. Also, the advert said it could store up to 250 songs for free - does that mean I have to pay to transfer my personal music library over after that limit? On the other hand however, I'd love for my kindle to actually have a decent browser.

That 250 songs is the cloud player: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000825251 $24.99 after that.

AFAIK you can transfer the music from your computer via USB like a standard flashdrive without the cloud or being charged.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I use a Paperwhite I got last Christmas and I'm mostly happy with it but before that I'd also been lent the use of a Touch and a Fire. It kinda depends on what you're doing with the Kindle. The Touches are fine if all you're interested in is reading text stored on the device in brightly-lit conditions but I've found it's a bit lacking if you do things like read with just a bed-light on and the Experimental Browser it uses when accessing the net seemed rather unstable. The Paperwhite works well in all lighting conditions *though mine developed a crack in the middle of the screen which means I can't make much use of the back-light* but shares the same Experimental Browser as the Touch. The Fire has an actual reliable browser and a more versatile display (color, video, etc.) so it can do rather more than just text but its LCD works in a rather different range of lighting. It's better than the Touch in dim lighting but not the Paperwhite, and it's pretty much useless outside. It's also substantially heavier, if you're looking at a device you'd be using for substantial periods at a time.

For me, the Paperwhite did turn out to be the best compromise, which was something of a surprise. The unreliable browser drives me nuts but it does allow me to do the reading I want to do online eventually whereas no amount of effort would allow me to read the Fire outside in pleasant weather. Now if my reading habits were different, the answer wouldn't be the same. The Paperwhite is close to non-functional with pdfs, for example but the Fire does much better and you can also drop an actual pdf reader onto it if you wanted as well.
    Last edited by LittleFuzzy; 06-08-2013 at 07:09 PM.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    I'd also second the Paperwhite if your primary use is reading books.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Do you guys use the browser much on an ereader? I've got an older Kindle (with keyboard, pre-touch) so can't give much advice but personally if I want to go online using a device I'd either use phone or tablet. If you're using Kindle as a tablet I'd think you need the Fire, but if you're not then why choose based on browser?

If you don't have a tablet yet then personally I didn't much see the need for one but since I got the iPad I've used that more often than a laptop/PC since. Using it now in fact. So if you don't have a tablet I'd recommend Fire if you're wanting to dual that with the Kindle. Otherwise no idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

If you wanna get crazy check out a rootable Nook of some sort. Can run Kindle on it
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Got a Kindle app on my iPhone and iPad. I love the fact I can read on either of those then use the Kindle then back again and whenever you load the app/Kindle it syncs to your current page from whichever you used last.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Do you guys use the browser much on an ereader? I've got an older Kindle (with keyboard, pre-touch) so can't give much advice but personally if I want to go online using a device I'd either use phone or tablet. If you're using Kindle as a tablet I'd think you need the Fire, but if you're not then why choose based on browser?
    I do but only for very limited browsing purposes. Pretty much just for reading articles and related documents online. Granted I spend quite a bit of time on such browsing but it would be next to worthless for activities like, say, browsing and posting on here. But I wouldn't use a tablet for posting on here either. I need a proper-size keyboard for my unagile fingers. Even most laptop keyboards drive me bonkers. I end up using my computer to write and watch tv-shows and movies, and my Paperwhite to read, online or offline.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

The iPad keyboard I've found surprisingly easy to get used to, the size is good. Most other tablets like the Fire do seem to be smaller though so no idea how well that works in practice. Much browsing though you don't need to type though to be fair.

With 7-inch tablets thumb-typing is fast. Haptic feedback enhances the experience on most tablets. Swiftkey is probably the single best keyboard app I've ever used, both in typing mode and in swiping mode. It has an incredibly smart learning and prediction engine

Seems like the Paperwhite would be the better option for me then. Rather silly question, but what is 3G and why would I want it? I'm fairly certain my phone plan has no provision for such a thing, nor am I really sure I'd want it.

I don't believe there is a charge for that, or that it will have anything to do with your phone plan. Its part of Amazon's whispernet that piggybacks off of AT&T's network. So amazon can make sure they are always able to push you new offers and books you purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by coinich View Post
    Seems like the Paperwhite would be the better option for me then. Rather silly question, but what is 3G and why would I want it? I'm fairly certain my phone plan has no provision for such a thing, nor am I really sure I'd want it.
    You pay for the 3G function once with buying the device at a slightly higher price and then you have wireless access to your book archive and Amazon's book shop from almost anywhere where there's a data connection. You even have a limited connection to the internet (from what I recall, unlimited access to Wikipedia, 50 MB per month for everything else)

Yes, even abroad.

I briefly had a Kindle, but for the money it became more worthwhile to just get a tablet and use the Kindle App for books (though I eventually switched ebook providers).

While the Kindle's screen had some definite advantages for reading in the sun, the ability to read books and browse the Web, read a newspaper with full color images/charts and download a movie/TV show...it was just too compelling. I got a Nexus 7 last year and haven't looked back.

So I finally caved and got a Kindle Paperwhite 2 I really wanted a Kobo (either Touch or Aura HD) but these were not easily available.

First thoughts:

- I regret nothing!!

- The new e-ink display is incredible. Better looking than the previous generations of e-ink screens, with whiter whites, blacker blacks, higher resolution, no noticeable ghosting. I'm told from reliable sources that the Paperwhite 2's display is a marginal but clearly noticeable improvement on the previous PW.

- the "frontlight" works very well!

- The software is a mixed bag of goodies and shit. I have already (in the day that's passed since I got it) had numerous crashes and reboots that I suspect have to do with a known memory-leak issue.

- The hardware is solid but I definitely would have preferred a design for the back like that of the Kobo e-readers because those are easier to hold. The Kindle's saving grace is its lightness and thinness.

- Goddamned ads

- MOBI

Still overall impressions are good even with the crashes and I suspect I'll be able to resolve that problem warmly recommended.

I was on a six-hour flight this week next to a guy with one and I saw his crash twice.

Jailbreak it with a coat hanger!

I just can't help but wonder if it might not have something to do with the un-kosher provenance of my books

Got myself an upgrade from my old Kindle to the Paperwhite 2013 as well. The software is better (can finally see a meaningful description of books, titles and such, instead of merely a short blurb), page changes are faster and the backlight is amazing.

Only thing I miss: The physical back- and forward-buttons. Seriously, touch is nice but the buttons meant that I could simply hold the Kindle and change pages at the same time, now I have to move my hand every time.