Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Egypt under new leadership (again)

The alternative is getting beat up by both of them. The "liberals" in Egypt are showing their true face though; they're more interested in wiping away ideological opponents than in having anything resembling a democracy.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The alternative is getting beat up by both of them. The "liberals" in Egypt are showing their true face though; they're more interested in wiping away ideological opponents than in having anything resembling a democracy.
    'The liberals' ? I'd say 'The Egyptians'.
    Congratulations America

I just reread our first Egypt thread a couple years back. It's fascinating how many of us (including myself) were wrong on many projections, but essentially right on others.

Indeed, I didn't expect the Ancien Regime to come back quite the way it did. Though the army seems to have the backing of a large proportion of Egyptian society as they kill MB supporters.

I really wonder who's behind the attacks on churches and Christians the last few days; the MB (arab) rhetoric is said to be extremely anti-christian, but it might just as easy be other sectarian extremists or simply the 'deep state' trying to fire things up in order to legitimize the harsh repression by the army.
    Congratulations America

There's a popular portrayal of Christians being behind the coup. It's probably your average Islamists (with or without a party affiliation).

This reminds me of Iran in the 80's. That didn't turn out very well in the long run.

Well, were part of the problem then too.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

The West has a long and messy history of "influence" in the middle east. It took until now for the CIA to officially admit their role in the Iranian coup of the 50's, and "installing" the Shah....which eventually led to the Iranian Revolution and the hostage crisis. Ironically, it was the NSA using the Freedom of Information Act to get ahold of the documents, but not clear when they became de-classified.

It's no wonder there's a general mistrust in that region, and even a hatred, for the west. And it's no surprise many Americans and Brits are waking up to our conflicting interests, principles, policies, and interventions....and getting fed up.

The increasingly crazy PM of Turkey now claims to have 'evidencef' that it' s really Israel that' s behind the coup in Egypt. The proof supposedly is that a jewish french intellectual had a conversation with the minister of foreign affairs of France in 2011.
    Congratulations America

How dare he.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    The increasingly crazy PM of Turkey now claims to have 'evidencef' that it' s really Israel that' s behind the coup in Egypt. The proof supposedly is that a jewish french intellectual had a conversation with the minister of foreign affairs of France in 2011.
    Well there you go, amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Well there you go, amirite?
    The plot thickens; it turns out it wasn' t the French foreign minister who Berhard Levi talked with but with Tzipi Livni, who hadn' t been (the Israeli) minister of foreign affairs for like 2 years already during the conversation/debate/whatever.
    Congratulations America

In Erdogan's Turkey, Jews aren't allowed to talk to other Jews.

What's really funny that as Erdogan is telling everybody that the Egyptian government is a mere handpuppet of 'the West', the same is responding to Erdogans interventions on behalf of the MB that they don' t need 'agents of the West to tell them how to be muslims or arabs'.
    Congratulations America

I'm starting to wonder if Erdogan is any more informed about world affairs than Palin.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if Erdogan is any more informed about world affairs than Palin.
    Well, it seems that his omni-science of all things Western is based on little more than the view from his Istanbul offices.
    Congratulations America