Thread: Javascript framework

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar

Default Javascript framework

I don't actually know if this is of interest to anyone here but anyway, I just stumbled across one simply awesome project:

http://meteor.com/

Javascript frameworks like Ember.js or Angular generally try to solve the problem that using client-side Javascript leads to a hodgepodge - the data layer intermingles with stuff controlling access which in turn influences the view itself. So you get an MVC (ModelViewController) with those frameworks which also lessens your workload as changing a variable in the model in such a framework will also change the display of said variable automatically. It may also be setup on such a way that the data in your database is synchronized with your model as well.

But your users will experience problems if you change the script while they're at the page. And they'll have to reload/refresh the page if someone else adds new content.

Enter meteor.

If someone enters data (and it gets accepted by the server) those changes will be pushed to everyone else looking at that page. You can also change the content and javascript while people are using the page - and they'll automatically see that new content. I think it's pretty awesome and if you watch the screencast you'll see what I mean.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    If someone enters data (and it gets accepted by the server) those changes will be pushed to everyone else looking at that page.
    Whats to stop someone dumb or malicious from pushing out a harmful update live?
    . . .

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    The server? You can set allow- and deny-rules for any model. If a user tries to change a model and the server rejects that change, this change won't propagate and it will automatically revert the change on the original user's client.

Not to mention that the templating system used automatically sanitizes insertion data coming from the model.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?