Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby News

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    What is NCT? Guessing not quite Minx's minx suggestion.
    National Childbirth Trust.

When you are closer to having your first baby, you're invited to an Ante-Natal (Not anti!) session where you sit with other first time mums and dads and talk about the birth, you can ask questions, they talk about birth plans, where you need to go in the hospital, things to do when in labour, what the birth partner should do, and then they will try and sell home births to you as well.

That's the NHS one. I didn't do the NCT one, but the differences are:

- It costs money
    - More than the one session
    - You're encouraged to be more social about it, make friends there and go for drinks and support each other after baby is born.

Congratulations mate
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

The NCT course spends most of the time preparing you for delivery. I think we had one session scheduled on actually looking after a newborn (e.g. how to you bathe them), but we missed it as my wife was in labour (boy turned up a month early). The most important aspect was the support network - you meet lots of parents who will be in the same position as you at the same time. I cannot overstate how important my wife found that once the baby was here, I'd gone back to work and the grand parents had left.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Congrats RB

Hey, Lor...are you next on the new Daddy list?

No. A good new job opportunity came up but I had to commit to it and we decided that was best.
    I was hoping to increase the concentration of posters in this time zone.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    You'll have to wait and see ....

So went a few weeks ago for the first scan, everything was normal and healthy. Got screen for Down's and came back healthy too. Got a formal dating for 29 March 2014.

Went for a private "3d scan" today and that was remarkable. Its amazing at 16 weeks just how much you can see in the baby and 3d scanning is an amazing technology. We requested to find out the gender and had it comfirmed that we're having a baby girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Let the baby naming lottery begin!

Woop!

Thank you for breaking the trend (at least in my parts) and actually finding-out the gender first.

Awww congratulations Randy old chum.

I haven't been here for a bloody long time but I'm glad I logged in and saw this news.

*cue old fart reminiscing*

I know it sounds corny but it seems like just the other day my first child was born, he is nearly 20 and my daughter nearly 18...

...enjoy every minute mate, it goes faster than you think!
    Such is Life...

Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    Awww congratulations Randy old chum.

I haven't been here for a bloody long time but I'm glad I logged in and saw this news.

*cue old fart reminiscing*

I know it sounds corny but it seems like just the other day my first child was born, he is nearly 20 and my daughter nearly 18...

...enjoy every minute mate, it goes faster than you think!
    Termitinator!

So went a few weeks ago for the first scan, everything was normal and healthy. Got screen for Down's and came back healthy too. Got a formal dating for 29 March 2014.

Went for a private "3d scan" today and that was remarkable. Its amazing at 16 weeks just how much you can see in the baby and 3d scanning is an amazing technology. We requested to find out the gender and had it comfirmed that we're having a baby girl.
    Well, snap! We're expecting a baby girl on 28 March 2014. Have held off telling anyone until recently, as we got our first scan quite late.

Sweet! Congratulations on the good news!

Now, where's the name list? I think it's much harder to name a baby girl than a baby boy these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    Well, snap! We're expecting a baby girl on 28 March 2014. Have held off telling anyone until recently, as we got our first scan quite late.
    Wow what a remarkable coincidence! Congratulations!
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post

Now, where's the name list? I think it's much harder to name a baby girl than a baby boy these days.
    Actually, we think we have one picked already. We want to stick with family names - our son is named after a favourite uncle and a granddad. Some of the girl's names in our families are so bad that our pool of good names (Winifred and Gwendoline being the worst).

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Gwendoline? Heh.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

How about Guinnevere? Different ways to spell it, lots of nick-names if you're inclined that way. And she'd have her own beautiful song.

More girl names: Amelia, Anna, Barbara, Emily, Elizabeth.

One of those is on our list

We think we have a name at last. One I suggested early on that Amanda rejected has grown on her after seeing the scans. She brought it back up.

Not telling yet

More girl names! D names are difficult, but Darcy is nice. Julia, Joyce, Katherine, Laura, Lauren, Margaret, Mary, Marie.

My name is Laura, but I was close to being named Lauren. (Not just female version of Lawrence.) I really like the name my parents gave me. They put a lot of thought into naming their girls....so our names wouldn't be diminutive as we aged.

What sounds good for a little girl may not seem so great when they're an adult, and the other way around.

edit: I think many baby girls will be named Frances, in honor of Pope Francis. It's a nice name with good nicknames. Who wouldn't want an Aunt Francie?
    Last edited by GGT; 11-21-2013 at 06:08 AM.

I was going to be Virginia if I was born a girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Names that end in a or ia are universally "feminine". Amelia, Barbara, Cecilia, Dahlia, Ella, Fiona, Georgia, Hedda, Isabella, Julia, Katterina, Lola, Mina, Nina, Ophelia, Pippa, Queenie, Roberta, Sophia, Tina, Uma, Virginia, Willa, Xena, Yolinda, Zelda.

Q is the hard one. Probably easier and more common in Arabic or Chinese languages.

Sorted, I'm now on it.

Congratulations! How high are you feeling?

Congratulations! How high are you feeling?
    Im all over the show to be honest, as you'll read in the Happy thread. I'm struggling to soak it all in.

Oh and sorry for the hijack Rand.

Let the baby naming lottery begin!
    Ayn Rand (after her father)
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."