Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Importance of Hair

Default The Importance of Hair

It's fascinating to watch cultural changes regarding hair. Athletes and models removing their body hair. Men embracing male baldness by shaving their heads. People shaving their heads or selling their locks for cancer research.

"Nappy" hair, dread locks, braids, corn-rows, chemically straightened, ironed, color dyed. "White" hair perms, waves, chemical treatments, highlights, dye jobs.

I started this thread by thinking about my own hair, and how it's changed as I age, but got distracted along the way.

Also, if Kate Middleton had experienced the same hair loss and pattern balding as Prince William...would she have faced the same cultural and social consequences? I think not.

Sinead Oconner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Also, if Kate Middleton had experienced the same hair loss and pattern balding as Prince William...would she have faced the same cultural and social consequences? I think not.
    You mean as in changing from a handsome person into a faded beauty? I think she would have met with a bit more sympathy for her loss of hair. William has all the attractiveness of his uncle Edward, of whom I still can' t explain as to how a woman was attracted to him aside from the fact that his mummy is the queen of England.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by ImAnOgre View Post
    Sinead Oconner.
    Shaving it off doesn' t count. That' s something you do, it' s not something that happens to you.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by ImAnOgre View Post
    Sinead Oconner.
    Her brief marriage sounded terrifying. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...e-16-days.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Shaving it off doesn' t count. That' s something you do, it' s not something that happens to you.
    Gail Porter then.

Went from top FHM totty, cutesy TV presenter, model pinup, beamed onto the houses of parliament ...

... to suffering from alopecia ... and losing her hair entirely ...

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Never heard of Gail Porter, but it's kinda confusing if she suffers from "natural" alopecia while posing in front of a breast cancer poster.

I thought Sinead O'Connor was prettier with her shaved head. It accentuated her beautiful eyes and facial bone structure. I also find Prince William quite handsome in his hair loss for a similar reason --- it brings attention to his expressive eyes and lips.

Never heard of Gail Porter, but it's kinda confusing if she suffers from "natural" alopecia while posing in front of a breast cancer poster.
    I think she has a charity for girls losing hear. Cancer treatments are often a reason for this.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Yes indeed, she does a number of charitable things now I believe, one of which is running a charity which creates wigs for children who have hairloss through illness or through chemo.

~

Well, I've bitten the bullet and told the barber to shave my hair all off yesterday.

I have a funny shaped head it turns out.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Does anyone else keep reading the thread title as "The Importance of Hazir"?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    With the capitalization of "Hair" I'm always thinking of the musical.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I do, I was going to protest yesterday but forgot.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Bush Senior has shaved his head in support of the two-year-old son of one his security detail, who has lost it through leukaemia treatment.

I gotta admit, I did think of this the first time I saw the thread. I'm going to make one the Importance of Ogrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Yes indeed, she does a number of charitable things now I believe, one of which is running a charity which creates wigs for children who have hairloss through illness or through chemo.
    Sounds like our Locks for Leukemia (or whatever name they use to collect human hair for chemotherapy patient wigs). While it sounds nice, it's also confusing, especially for young girls and women...to have a bald female spokesperson touting the importance of hair. See what I mean? Wouldn't it be more powerful to embrace female baldness....like men have done with male baldness?

Well, I've bitten the bullet and told the barber to shave my hair all off yesterday.

I have a funny shaped head it turns out.
    FFS, now we have to worry about our hair (or lack thereof) AND the shape of our skulls?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Bush Senior has shaved his head in support of the two-year-old son of one his security detail, who has lost it through leukaemia treatment.
    Why don't women do the same thing?

Can you imagine Barbara Bush shaving her head in support of the little tyke? Would it really matter if it's a 2 year old boy or girl with Leukemia losing their hair from chemotherapy? Apparently, it does. That's the crazy stereotypical gender importance of hair.

Men can have long locks or bald heads, and anything in-between, and still be considered attractive, even sexy. Women aren't afforded the same litmus test. Cropped hair is too masculine (butch dyke) unless you're Halle Barry or some other Hollywood star playing a role (Demi Moore, Sigourney Weaver), a fashion model (Twiggy, Audrey Hepburn), or a musical superstar (Pink, Sinead O'Connor, Lady Gaga).
    Last edited by GGT; 07-27-2013 at 09:46 PM.

It would be interesting if cultural/social/gender hair norms were flipped.

Men would want to have long locks, lush eyelashes, groomed eyebrows...but no hair anywhere else on their bodies. Male-pattern balding would have them joining the Hair Club for Men, getting plugs, buying wigs. They'd visit salons for perms, waves, weaves, extensions, dye jobs, highlights. They'd carry hair products in their man purse. They'd chat with men in the restroom about their hairstyles, and what to do about humidity and frizz. They'd buy hair ornaments, barrettes, sparkly hair gel. Male athletes would get big sponsorships (like some football players with long hair have done with shampoo) and become major trend-setters.

That would create a whole new sector in sports/athletic gear. Swim caps, helmets, visors, sweat bands. Special hair products that enhance athletic ability and increase performance....

oh yeah, while also using depilatories, waxing, or electrolysis to remove body hair. Rumor has it that NONO home hair removal is a favorite among men.
    Last edited by GGT; 07-30-2013 at 06:21 AM.

Not me

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    With the capitalization of "Hair" I'm always thinking of the musical.
    Me too
    Congratulations America

It would be interesting if cultural/social/gender hair norms were flipped.

Men would want to have long locks, lush eyelashes, groomed eyebrows...but no hair anywhere else on their bodies. Male-pattern balding would have them joining the Hair Club for Men, getting plugs, buying wigs. They'd visit salons for perms, waves, weaves, extensions, dye jobs, highlights. They'd carry hair products in their man purse. They'd chat with men in the restroom about their hairstyles, and what to do about humidity and frizz. They'd buy hair ornaments, barrettes, sparkly hair gel. Male athletes would get big sponsorships (like some football players with long hair have done with shampoo) and become major trend-setters.

That would create a whole new sector in sports/athletic gear. Swim caps, helmets, visors, sweat bands. Special hair products that enhance athletic ability and increase performance....

oh yeah, while also using depilatories, waxing, or electrolysis to remove body hair. Rumor has it that NONO home hair removal is a favorite among men.
    I change my hairstyle, sometimes have even considerd trying what it would look like if I got a close shave But never actually did it so far. I'm 50 now, and consider myself blessed hair-wise. No discernable hair loss, and somehow other people don't notice I actually do have some grey hairs.

I regularly get 'advise' on either having it grow longer, cut it shorter or 'please' to leave it exactly as it is
    Congratulations America

Hazir, I remember pictures of your hair lengths, from pony tail length to a shorter style. Reminded me of Ziggy and his hair "transitions", and wondering where the hell he went?

I suppose I'm "lucky" as a woman in my 50's with dirty blonde hair. Any grey strands sorta look like natural highlights. Nothing like my dark-haired female friends who rely on salon color changes, constantly fighting their "roots". Or my sister's Greek mother-in-law who's been dying away her grey for decades....and can't stop now, even though she's in her 80's.

I change my hairstyle, sometimes have even considerd trying what it would look like if I got a close shave But never actually did it so far. I'm 50 now, and consider myself blessed hair-wise. No discernable hair loss, and somehow other people don't notice I actually do have some grey hairs.

I regularly get 'advise' on either having it grow longer, cut it shorter or 'please' to leave it exactly as it is
    First, I hate you. With every fiber of my being. Second, my twin brother and I are apparently going both routes. We've had growing circular bald spots on the tops of our heads since we were 25-26 (thank you so much, Mom and Grandpa). Last year my brother decided to get a close-shave look, while I let mine grow more or less as much as it wants though that mostly means in the back.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    First, I hate you. With every fiber of my being. Second, my twin brother and I are apparently going both routes. We've had growing circular bald spots on the tops of our heads since we were 25-26 (thank you so much, Mom and Grandpa). Last year my brother decided to get a close-shave look, while I let mine grow more or less as much as it wants though that mostly means in the back.
    Yes I'm feeling a growing hatred for Hazir too.

I used to have long flowing blonde locks.

Aged around 26 was my first big recede; I can remember actual small clumps of hair coming out from the front.

That was fine, a slightly receded look which lasted, with slight ongoing hair loss, into my mid-30s. Then came the second wave of big hair loss, when most from up top was lost, with just a small clump left up front, thin on top and lots of hair left around the back and sides.

So a month away from my 40th birthday, and I have considerably less hair than my father, who is approaching his mid-70s. Both of my grandfather's were bald in their later years, so I get it from one or t'other.

So off it all came two weeks ago. Spent some dollars on a decent professional set of barber's clippers, and I'll now close shave it twice a week or so.

Am getting a nice tan up there now.

Aww, men care about their hair as much as women do. Guys shouldn't complain about male-pattern-balding so much....especially since shaven man skulls has become a sexy trend. My Aunt (by marriage) has been nearly bald since her mid 60's, a really tough situation for a female, and no option short of wigs. Ew.

It will be interesting to watch my sons' hair as they age. The older one has a lush, thick, full head of chestnut colored locks...but laments that he can't grow a mustache or sideburns at 22. The younger one has baby-fine, soft, dark blonde hair....and is growing mutton-chop sideburns and a little goatee at 17.

If you want to know what their hair will do when they get older look at your own father. Actually, if I'd see them I could probably also tell you; it's one of my talents to guestimate how men will age.
    Congratulations America

Dad was adopted, but he died with a full head of black hair. I've never been ashamed of letting my hair grow out, and you guys aren't the only group that's compared me to Shaggy. I have patrons who come to my work and request me by hair descriptions

I have no idea how I would handle going bald. I went through high school and college being told I had the softest hair ever touched, but damn does it getting annoying when it drapes over my glasses.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

If you want to know what their hair will do when they get older look at your own father. Actually, if I'd see them I could probably also tell you; it's one of my talents to guestimate how men will age.
    My grandfather on my dad's side was balding, my dad isn't... Though two of my uncles are.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    My grandfather on my dad's side was balding, my dad isn't... Though two of my uncles are.
    GG is a woman. Your father I suppose, is a man. Compare your hair with your maternal grandfather. The main cause for male baldness is located on the X-chromosome.
    Congratulations America

Wait, I thought the gene for male-pattern balding was passed on by the mother. Doesn't that mean the men in my mother's gene pool matter as much as my father's? (BTW, I don't know what that looks like, because she was adopted.)

Oh, in that case I'm screwed