Thread: Free Games Giveaway

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I think your missing the point of F2P in SWTOR. The idea is to preview the game - then buy it. If you aren't paying anything then they don't actually want you. This is different then the League of Legends model because having a high player base shortens queue time and is a base of players to watch streams/tournaments. In a MMO - not so much they want you to shell money if not they don't want you playing.
    That's exactly what it is, in SWTOR, a game preview, and that's what they should advertise. That game still wants more players though, for a similar reason LoL does, it's more fun with a lot of people on (groups quests, flash points, dueling, random interaction which they put effort into encouraging, you get extra exp just for being in a group etc..), so they want to attract more people because the game is more fun. Now they just need an alternative way to make money after they attracted all the people, LoL has riot points. SW could do something similar, with selling points, and let you buy exp boosts, extra skins, and various other things: as long as it won't let you attain anything a free player couldn't eventually obtain, or if it is unattainable then it has no affect on game play (such as skins). Also, Rift, and LOTRO went free to play in a much different manner than SWTOR. I agree SWTOR can do whatever it wants, and I have no problem with it, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as a F2P game (like i would, Rift, DDO, or LOTRO), because like you said it's not really F2P, it's a free to preview.
    Last edited by Lebanese Dragon; 09-23-2013 at 10:21 PM.