Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: English Football Season 2013-14

Default English Football Season 2013-14

If anyone wants to join Fantasy Premier League I've created a TWF mini League which you can join with the code 2252954-469622 at fantasy.premierleague.com

New Football season starts tomorrow and this could be one of the most interesting in years. All change at the top with Managers following the retirement at last of Sir Alex Ferguson what will the new season bring for Manchester United? What's remarkable is that of the 20 Managers of the clubs in the league only Arsene Wenger is long-serving now. The second-longest serving Manager joined his club in December 2010 less than 3 years ago and the third longest serving Manager joined in June 2011 so just 2 seasons.

I think this could be a very open season both at the top and with who could ultimately get the Champions League spots.

Liverpool - Intrigued by some of our transfer signings which don't seem to have got much media attention with all the Luis Suarez drama. Doesn't look like Suarez himself is going anywhere afterall, certainly be very surprised if he went to Arsenal.
    Arsenal - After saying they were willing to spend big money this summer they've got just one transfer in so far - a free transfer - and released, sold or loaned out 15 players. Besides playing silly buggers with stupid offers for Suarez (clearly worth a lot more than £40m+1 in today's market) there doesn't seem to be any movement yet. Almost every year I've predicted Arsenal will drop out of the top 4 and every year I'm wrong but don't see any silverwear going their direction this year.

Prediction:
    1: Man City
    2: Chelsea
    3: Man Utd
    4: Liverpool (hope more than expectation)
    ---
    5: Spurs
    6: Arsenal
    7: Everton
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

The second coming of the Special One will make it an interesting season too.

Agree with your prediction for the top two, but feel they may be the other way round.

Wet Spam have made Carrol a permanent signing from loan, which is great news, so hoping for a good season, certainly top half.

Crystal Palace up into the top league, they're my local team at the moment so will be following them with interest.

Roll on 3pm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Cracking first game for Liverpool. Totally dominated it against Stoke but was worried that either we'd not take our chances (of which there were many) or they'd get something from a Set Piece.

In the end we got one goal and they got a penalty but saved by our new keeper Mignolet. Full Time: 1-0 and our first Day 1 victory since 2001 which is a remarkable record. 1 down, 37 to go
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

A bit optimistic for a Liverpool who'll be playing without Mr. Bitey for quite a few games, no? I'd be very surprised if they finished above 6th. I also can't see both Chelsea and Man City finishing above Man U, though it's not outside the realm of possibility. I'm going to guess that one of them finishes first, Man U finishes second, Arsenal finishes third, and the other of Chelsea/Man City finishes fourth (because I have a sense one will severely underperform, as usual). Spurs should be able to finish 5th, though that's not a certainty either.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Great result for Villa today. Thought we looked really controlled in a very scrappy game. Delph and Benteke looked fantastic. Guzan was excellent between the sticks.

Loki, I see that NBC are really pushing their coverage of the PL in the USA. Has the PL caught on in popularity that side of the pond lately?
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

It's popular in certain circles, but not in the mainstream (better than before, I suppose). NBC did show both the Arsenal and Man U games today.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    It's popular in certain circles, but not in the mainstream (better than before, I suppose). NBC did show both the Arsenal and Man U games today.
    From what I understand, they'll be showing more games than we get to see here in the UK!

More of an NFL fan myself anyway
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

Mr Bitey is out for the first six games - one down and we won it. So just 5 more for that.

Arsenal lost 1-3 a match at home to Villa, a match they really should have won. Emphatic victory for United but Swansea are hardly gladiators.

Quote Originally Posted by DecoyMilk View Post
    From what I understand, they'll be showing more games than we get to see here in the UK!

More of an NFL fan myself anyway
    I suppose this will be EPL's opportunity to get Americans to care. I'm not overly optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Mr Bitey is out for the first six games - one down and we won it. So just 5 more for that.

Arsenal lost 1-3 a match at home to Villa, a match they really should have won. Emphatic victory for United but Swansea are hardly gladiators.
    And Stoke are gladiators?

Fair point.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/8/18/46...s-on-nbc-nbcsn For those wondering about EPL's TV success in the US.

I will just join in here to say that the mighty Hull are back in the premier league. As almost everyones first choice for immediate relegation, I am not hugely optimistic, but I think some of the signings, especially Tom Huddlestone, are good quality and not too expensive.

At this point, anything is better than signing people like Jimmy funking Bullard at 50k a week.

Also my current local team, the mighty Dulwich Hamlet, went up last season and I am optimistic that their Ryman South version of Tiki Taka will translate nicely to the big league of Ryman Premier.

Gavin Roses Pink-and-Blue-Army!
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Conference South here you come!

Dulwich? As in Dulwich village area, in South London? That's where I live, just down the road in West Dulwich.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

What are United thinking?

Offering just £28m at the tail end of the transfer window for 2 of Everton's best players? Offering £16m for Fellaini who is arguably World Class and their Manager had just expressed relief at the £23.5m release clause expiring - so United offer over £7mn less than what Everton didn't want to be forced to sell for. Or offering £12m for a player they had an offer of that rejected months ago? Is Moyes just trying to insult his old club?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Dulwich? As in Dulwich village area, in South London? That's where I live, just down the road in West Dulwich.
    Splitter! East Dulwich 4 Life.

But seriously, yeah. Just moved from Camberwell to just off Lordship Lane. Not too bad so far. Doesnt have as many good (read: dark, empty) pubs as Camberwell but I've yet to really explore.

You ever been to watch the Hamlet? I was there loads last season. Was ace. Mobbed the pitch when they won the league and everything.

RB - Maybe Moyes knows very accurately how much Everton are willing to settle for?
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Also I have joined your FF league above. Prepare to be dominated. Aside from the week I missed. And not spending much time picking my players...

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnie View Post
    Also I have joined your FF league above. Prepare to be dominated. Aside from the week I missed. And not spending much time picking my players...
    I joined as well. My team name is insulting somebody running my work league, so don't get too confused.

I was born in East Dulwich, so I suppose Dulwich Hamlet are my team by birthright, though I actually know nothing about them

- Omar Little

Quote Originally Posted by DecoyMilk View Post
    I joined as well. My team name is insulting somebody running my work league, so don't get too confused.

I was born in East Dulwich, so I suppose Dulwich Hamlet are my team by birthright, though I actually know nothing about them
    Nice little Dulwich posse we have going on here.

My team name is also insulting people at work, interestingly enough.

I lived in the northern part of Southwark when I was at LSE. Didn't go down to Dulwich though.

I'll join up on the fantasy league later this week.

Although I'd like to call a halt to the Premiership today. West Ham 5th.

Man City defeated at newly-promoted Cardiff, didn't see that one coming. Won't have done my Fantasy Football team any good (had 3 City players picked) but very pleased by that result.

Another 1 goal victory for Liverpool gets us a third of the way through McBitey's suspension and of my top league picks a 100% record so far with only Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs winning first 2 games (Man Utd don't play their second until tomorrow when either Chelsea or them must lose 100% record).

Awesome day of football coming up. Sat in a pub with a pint and burger. This should be good.

Well well, Liverpool 1-0 Man U.

That's a result.

Liv go top of the league with that too.

Yes! Yes! Absolutely brilliant.

Perhaps this should be in the WTF Thread or perhaps I need to start a "I need to bathe in Holy Water" thread but I am now an Official Member of Manchester United FC.

Man U v LFC in the League Cup third round is on my brother's 15th birthday and a ticket on resale websites would be over £100 each (as basically only home members and away season ticket holders can get those tickets originally). It was cheaper to just buy Man U membership and buy the ticket as a Member than it was to buy it from a scalper website.

Only issue is that means we'll be sat cheering on Liverpool in the Home area of the ground.

Should I go into the Home stand of Old Trafford in my LFC Shirt?

Depends on how much you value your life.

Just once have I experienced similar, about 14 or 15 years ago, going to see the last match of the season with a Chelsea fan at Stamford Bridge, with home tickets. West Ham needed, I seem to remember, either a win or a draw to avoid relegation.

West Ham got the win and stayed up in the Premiership, but it was extremely difficult not to jump up and down bellowing my lungs out when I'm surrounded by moody-looking Chelsea fans mulling over their loss.

And Chelsea/West Ham don't have the rivalry that Liv and Man U do ... you'd better keep schtum matey ...

I mentioned this to a Man Utd friend of mine who said he'd done something similar. Him and his friend had gone to Anfield and were stood in the Kop in a United shirt cheering and chanting after a goal when the stewards politely advised they should maybe sit down.

Irritating loss yesterday but that made up by City 4 - 1 Utd

Can I just say to paraphrase a certain Geordie of years ago I would "love it, love it" if United were to fall outside the Top 4 .