Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black people twice as likely to be charged with drugs possession – report

Default Black people twice as likely to be charged with drugs possession – report

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...rug-possession

I can think of at least one possible explanation that doesn't have to do with racism and prejudice but i haven't yet gone through the report or the relevant laws to test that hunch
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

There's nothing about prior convictions there. Surely that would have a huge role to play in what punishment someone gets...
    Hope is the denial of reality

It also refers to cautions/warnings and getting charged. There's data about the percentage getting warned vs charged but no data on whether those charged had prior warnings (so would be due to get charged this time).

Sloppy reporting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    There's nothing about prior convictions there. Surely that would have a huge role to play in what punishment someone gets...
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    It also refers to cautions/warnings and getting charged. There's data about the percentage getting warned vs charged but no data on whether those charged had prior warnings (so would be due to get charged this time).

Sloppy reporting.
    Sure, but if you are between 6 and 17 times as likely to be searched, guess who will most likely have previous warnings/convictions for exactly the same?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Those who've been caught breaking the law, cautioned and continued to break it?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

black people

The lesser races need a firm, guiding hand. See how over-represented blacks and hispanics are, per capita, in the incarceration rates in the United States, arguably the leader of the free world? Correlation doesn't prove causation, I will grant you that, but let us also remember that handling the negroids and other inferiors has been a dilemma for the civilization in the United States for centuries now. As Dread argued in the frisking thread, surely the police only detain and investigate those who warrant detaining and investigating? If members of the lesser races keep over-representing themselves in crime statistics, it's simple reasoning to see that keeping a closer eye on them is a stabilizing factor in civil society.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Which means that it is less legal for black people to smoke weed? Or, rather, just as illegal, but it's enforced a lot harsher against them. I mean, if anyone can smoke it until you get cautioned, it seems a bit unfair considering blacks are between 6 and 17 times as likely to be stopped in the first place. That doesn't sound very much like justice to me.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Say, do you understand statistics or not? And the basic mechanisms behind them?

So, you have this new, more sensitive test for a dormant illness. And voilá, the part of the populace infected with said illness just increased by a hundredfold.

Does that now mean that this illness has somehow become more infectuous?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    The lesser races need a firm, guiding hand. See how over-represented blacks and hispanics are, per capita, in the incarceration rates in the United States, arguably the leader of the free world? Correlation doesn't prove causation, I will grant you that, but let us also remember that handling the negroids and other inferiors has been a dilemma for the civilization in the United States for centuries now. As Dread argued in the frisking thread, surely the police only detain and investigate those who warrant detaining and investigating? If members of the lesser races keep over-representing themselves in crime statistics, it's simple reasoning to see that keeping a closer eye on them is a stabilizing factor in civil society.
    I don't deny that police discrimination is a problem. However, the solution is not to expect police stops/arrests to evenly conform to the racial makeup of society at large.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Which means that it is less legal for black people to smoke weed? Or, rather, just as illegal, but it's enforced a lot harsher against them. I mean, if anyone can smoke it until you get cautioned, it seems a bit unfair considering blacks are between 6 and 17 times as likely to be stopped in the first place. That doesn't sound very much like justice to me.
    The reality is that black Brits are 6 times more likely to break the law than are white Brits (at least as of 2000); this includes crimes the police isn't picky about investigating, like murder.

I'm curious why Indians (not native Americans) have a lower incarceration rate then Hispanics. Everything the media tells me is that the only reason they are being arrested more is because of police and societal racism! It doesn't make sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I don't deny that police discrimination is a problem. However, the solution is not to expect police stops/arrests to evenly conform to the racial makeup of society at large.
    Hang on a second there, Dexter; has anyone proven actual discrimination happens? Sure, some activist judges have opined that just because non-whites are over-represented, per capita, in incarceration and inspection rates, this must somehow mean discrimination happens. But that whole 'correlation isn't causation' goes both ways; why is the assumption that police are in the wrong and that negroids must be as law-abiding as actual people? Assuming the other way round: If you have wild Negro bucks running wild, they're liable to mug, rape and violate property rights, and little nigresses prostitute themselves (thus spreading diseases) to feed the useless mouths they've brought into this world ever since they were teenagers. If the police and the justice system have the temerity to at least attempt to combat their bacillus, I say good for them.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Nessie, is your post heavy sarcasm, or do you really feel that way?

That's the fortunate thing about numbers, they do not elicit feelings.

Is that what you think about non-whites, or as you say-- negroids?

If the US justice system says so, who am I to disagree?

What kind of punt is that? Do you believe in "white supremacy", or doubt
    negroids must be as law-abiding as actual people
    ??

If you're going to make that kind of comment, don't be coy and shy away when asked to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    It is illegal in the UK. As it is not a major crime the first step upon getting caught breaking the law is to receive a caution - if you continue to break the law then you get charged.

Personally my solution would be to not break the law. Or at least if cautioned to stop repeatedly breaking the law. But what do I know, that's unreasonable apparently?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I'm curious why Indians (not native Americans) have a lower incarceration rate then Hispanics. Everything the media tells me is that the only reason they are being arrested more is because of police and societal racism! It doesn't make sense!
    This question is retarded for at least two reasons, the most important being your retarded conception of racism and negative discrimination that lumps all non-whites into the same category regardless of context. I don't if you do this because you're stupid, ignorant or just racist. Which is it? My bet is on all three.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    This question is retarded for at least two reasons, the most important being your retarded conception of racism and negative discrimination that lumps all non-whites into the same category regardless of context. I don't if you do this because you're stupid, ignorant or just racist. Which is it? My bet is on all three.
    No he makes a good point. Unless you think simultaneously that there is racism towards Hispanics but that there is no racism towards Indians etc (which I don't agree) then the entirely valid question he is asking what are the underlying reasons why there are differences? One possibility is targetted racism. Another possibility is that there are different levels of criminality and that is reflected. Or do you believe there are no different levels of criminality involved? Do you believe that solely targeted racism against one particular race is involved?

A huge part of profiling is learning to overcome the cross-race effect. At least I'm assuming thats what Lewk is attempting here, claiming that mexicans and indians appear to similar to him.

Otherwise he is ignoring why racism is more predominant against certain groups, usually due to some social or historical event.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

It is illegal in the UK. As it is not a major crime the first step upon getting caught breaking the law is to receive a caution - if you continue to break the law then you get charged.

Personally my solution would be to not break the law. Or at least if cautioned to stop repeatedly breaking the law. But what do I know, that's unreasonable apparently?
    That's not the unreasonable part, it's the fact that it's not enforced equally. As a white person you're roughly ten times less likely to be caught in the first place.

Though I do actually think it is unreasonable that possession for personal use is illegal in the first place, but that's besides the point here

The reality is that black Brits are 6 times more likely to break the law than are white Brits (at least as of 2000); this includes crimes the police isn't picky about investigating, like murder.
    Ah, murder, that classic crime that is prevented by randomly searching people..

Are you going to explain how racism plays a key role in these statistics when a large portion of the police force in the minority areas are members of the same minorities? Are they racist against themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I used this example purposefully because if I used Asians as a minority example, people would say they look "white enough."

The reason why difference 'races' have different incarceration, arrest and conviction rates has everything to do with the cultural groups. People are generally color blind these days however cultural groups do exist. And there are better and worse cultures. Cultures that worship "thug life" or believe the system is stacked against them are more likely to commit crime. Has NOTHING to do with skin color or prejudicial police and everything to do with the dominant cultural in those communities.

Why don't you explain the justice in blacks being about twice as likely to be charged for possession of marijuana or cocaine, while both have roughly the same percentage of marijuana use and whites are in fact far more likely to use cocaine?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I used this example purposefully because if I used Asians as a minority example, people would say they look "white enough."

The reason why difference 'races' have different incarceration, arrest and conviction rates has everything to do with the cultural groups. People are generally color blind these days however cultural groups do exist. And there are better and worse cultures. Cultures that worship "thug life" or believe the system is stacked against them are more likely to commit crime. Has NOTHING to do with skin color or prejudicial police and everything to do with the dominant cultural in those communities.
    No, you used that example because you don't know what you're talking about. If you'd mentioned "Asians" then people would have pointed out that they have other prejudices associated with them and experience racism in other ways. you may be unaware of the racism directed towards people with Oriental features but that speaks only towards your own ignorance. Similarly there are other prejudices that come into play when you're from India, provided you're not suspected of being eg. a Muslim from Pakistan or Bangladesh. If they're affected differently them that reflects the differences in specific prejudices, among other things. You might argue that the prejudices reflect some aspect of reality, but, let's face it: you believe that's a good argument because, as a Republican from Texas with an eastern European background, you're a bit of a racist.

And the notion that "people are generally colorblind these days" belies an extraordinary lack of insight

Fits surprisingly well considering he has already slammed other cultures for being different.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I'm not sure what it is you meant, but cultures that glorify rape or call on fellow members to live off the work of other cultures certainly seem different from the one I was raised in, for example.