Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Disgusted

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    <Yaz/Yasmin related deaths>
    Women occasionally get blood clots from old-generation BCP...or HRT, too. It's usually related to a co-morbidity (obesity, smoking, vascular disease) but can also be from poor patient education or non-compliance (especially in younger patients). These meds are among the most rigorously tested, and regulated, for safety and side effects. You want to have it both ways -- by dissing the FDA on one hand, and expecting a perfect track record on the other.

So if a 14 year old wants to go to a party - and you have said no and they go anyway what will you do? If they disobey you and you do not stop them and they later die at that party YOU are negligent. Now granted in most cases good parenting will lead to the child actually obeying the parent but in extreme situations where do you think the law sides? Where do you think SHOULD it side? And at what age do YOU think parents should still have physical control of the child. I'm sure you agree that a 4 year old shouldn't be allowed to leave the home just because he wants to - at what age are you suggesting this changes?
    WTF. Must you always go to extremes in your missives? Look, I've already faced the rebellious teenager who disobeys, defies rules, and even *gasp* leaves the house without permission to attend a party. There are alternatives between the OMG they're gonna die! and physically restraining them or using physical force....or treating a 14 yr old like a 4 yr old.

And while yes it is a tangent but the reality is that as long as you are a minor you don't have the right to an iPhone. You don't have the right to the internet. You don't have the right to not go to school. And you don't have the right to have sex if your parents say no. Does it happen? Sure of course I'm not stupid but children do not have absolute liberty to do as they will.
    Man, you're all over the place. Phones, internet, school, sex....it's all one ball of wax in your Big Daddy mind. You leap from age 4 to 14, skipping an entire decade of parenting and childhood development, it's all the same to you. Your main concern is being authoritarian, always in charge, in control. Good luck with that.

EDIT: Condoms don't cause blood clots or other serious issues. Though I don't really care about laws that restrict the freedoms of minors because they aren't autonomous yet - so if there was a law that passed that said you had to be 18 to buy a condom I wouldn't consider it a breach of essential freedoms because children DON'T HAVE essential freedoms.
    Legally, emancipated minors are autonomous. And why did you pick age 18 for buying condoms, when most 18 year olds aren't fully autonomous either --- and our legal drinking age is 21? Even 17 yr old HS students can "pre-enlist" with the military, with parental consent, so they're ready-to-roll on their 18th birthday.

edit: btw, female barrier methods don't cause blood clots or serious issues, either. But they do require a healthcare provider, and a prescription.
    Last edited by GGT; 09-13-2013 at 04:59 AM.

What age do you stop your children from leaving via force?

What age do you stop your children from leaving via force?
    Do you mean leaving the house? That depends on more variables than just age: why they're leaving, and where they're going.

Example: personal anecdote: one of my kids was independently minded the moment he was born. By the time he could crawl, he was testing boundaries and rules -- often with good intentions (like crab-walking down the driveway at 6am to get the newspaper for daddy). Of course there were times I had to physically restrain him, pick him up, hold him back, give him "time outs" or deny a treat. Those were teaching moments. That helped him develop verbal and conceptual skills, without totally ripping the toddler experience. He learned that if he wanted to "help" by getting the paper, mommy or daddy had to at least be watching, if not following close behind.

Lewk, what's your Parenting Plan for your toddler, when he wants to be "helpful" in ways that might be dangerous? Are you just gonna whip his bottom and lock him in the bedroom?
    Last edited by GGT; 09-13-2013 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Do you mean leaving the house? That depends on more variables than just age: why they're leaving, and where they're going.
    Leaving the house to gather with friends - some you don't know. Now spit out an age.

Leaving the house to gather with friends - some you don't know. Now spit out an age.
    That could mean an Elementary School football game. Lots of unknown pre-teens there. You're too hung up on age.

See my edit.

So if a 14 year old wants to go to a party - and you have said no and they go anyway what will you do? If they disobey you and you do not stop them and they later die at that party YOU are negligent.
    Wait, what? In the legal sense? Criminally negligent? Is that even true or are you just making it up?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    That could mean an Elementary School football game. Lots of unknown pre-teens there. You're too hung up on age.

See my edit.
    Lewkie's world is black and white Gee, he'll only accept a straight answer. The world doesn't have variables, subtleties, nuances, contexts, grey areas, mitigations nor extenuations. Nuh uh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I'm not sure I even understand what his point is, ie. what he question he hopes to answer if GGT can't give a number then the number has to be 14? What?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Is that even true
    no. not in the slightest.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Wait, what? In the legal sense? Criminally negligent? Is that even true or are you just making it up?
    I don't know the legalities but if you know a minor is going into a dangerous situation and you don't stop them I think you should be negligent. Just like if you let a 6 year old walk down the street by himself - there's an element of negligence there. I'm certainty not calling for parents to be arrested for letting kids go over to a friend's house but they do have an ethical obligation to keep their children safe. And if the child is refusing to obey then something needs to be done. Throwing up your hands and saying "I can't stop them." is stupid.

when did parties attended by 14 year olds turn into a known dangerous situation?

thankfully what you "think" is about as far as one can get from what is considered common sense and the law. Well, except to your kid, that poor soul is fucked.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I don't know the legalities but if you know a minor is going into a dangerous situation and you don't stop them I think you should be negligent. Just like if you let a 6 year old walk down the street by himself - there's an element of negligence there. I'm certainty not calling for parents to be arrested for letting kids go over to a friend's house but they do have an ethical obligation to keep their children safe. And if the child is refusing to obey then something needs to be done. Throwing up your hands and saying "I can't stop them." is stupid.
    Er the key words there are "dangerous situation"

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    when did parties attended by 14 year olds turn into a known dangerous situation?

thankfully what you "think" is about as far as one can get from what is considered common sense and the law. Well, except to your kid, that poor soul is fucked.
    http://bossip.com/415293/jesus-take-...-with-alcohol/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...e-party-124716

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2...r_wounded.html

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=2726,1051079

only 2 of those mentioned 14 year olds. so i can only assume that you're using the other 2 as "fact" that all parties attended by 14 year olds are dangerous.

Never mind when guns are the most dangerous variable. Lewk is against gun-control regulations.