Thread: See no evil, shoot no evil

Default See no evil, shoot no evil

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3890291.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...blind/2780303/

Granted the number of blind people carrying guns in public is likely to be small even in Iowa but wtf man wtf
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Second article mentions that it would be against the Americans with disabilities act to ban it, but surely the blind aren't allowed to, say, drive a car either?

The Chronicles of Narnia would have ended quite quickly in Amerika.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    I would've been shot at least a 100 times, what with me startling people all the time because I don't trample around like an elephant.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Which reminds me, and other comments at the news sites have pointed this out, too:

Wouldn't that particular train of logic apply to driver's licenses as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Second article mentions that it would be against the Americans with disabilities act to ban it, but surely the blind aren't allowed to, say, drive a car either?
    google says 34 states allow blind drivers.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

You're not serious. Really?

A number of states allow "legally blind" people to drive provided their vision can be corrected to some extent (usually to the point where they have reasonable visual acuity in at least one eye) and occasionally with specific restrictions on the circumstances in which they can drive (eg. time, place). "Legally blind" does not have to mean "completely blind"
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

No, but generally speaking it's also important to read signs etc. If you can correct it to that point, sure.

I'm considered legally blind.

20/1800 vision. -11 power in my left eye, -10.5 in my right.

Correctible to 20/20 though.

If memory serves, legally blind is worse then 20/200
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

Well ... if you can aim a volleyball I'm sure you're fine with a gun ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

HAHA!

I'm a pretty good shot. My point is legally blind <> not able to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

In Germany that's called "sehbehindert" or "suffers from visual impairment". We only call people "blind" when they can't see anything or can only differentiate between light and dark.

"Legally blind" is a moronic term, in my eyes. If you still can see after corrections of some kind, then you're not blind.

Ogre is not/shouldn't be considered legally blind. In the US legal blindness is 20/200 (equivalent of 6/60 in the other common scale) or worse AFTER correction. Well, or with a sufficiently restricted field of vision. I have a cousin who is legally blind because she has a macular degeneration disorder and only has limited peripheral vision. Anyway, 20/200(6/60) and/or a varying degree of restricted field of vision is the standard in most countries.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I guess my question is, what is the value of a legal definition of "blindness" if it's illegal to place limits limits on permitted activities because of legal blindness (driving/shooting/etc)?

I'm not arguing that people who are legally blind can't see and do things...because I know a guy who is legally blind and can definitely see and function very well with his limited sight. But I'm just curious about the value of the designation if there's some sort of consensus that it's illegal for a state to limit firearm purchases by the legally blind.

They should simply move to a whitelist. Define a list of abilities you have to be able to fulfill and you get your firearm. Stuff like "The ability to hit the broad side of a barn" and such.

That's a pretty low standard for gunfire, I'm sure the gun lovers will take the compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I guess my question is, what is the value of a legal definition of "blindness" if it's illegal to place limits limits on permitted activities because of legal blindness (driving/shooting/etc)?
    Its not illegal to limit someone based on their physical or mental capabilities, but people fucking love suing the government, and its a hell of a lot cheaper to be PC than to fight a costly legal battle.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Love suing anyone (with money) not just the government.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita