Thread: Sandy Hook to be Torn Down and Rebuilt

Default Sandy Hook to be Torn Down and Rebuilt

The residents of Newtown, Conn., voted to raze and rebuild the Sandy Hook Elementary School where 26 people were killed in December of last year. The town will be allotted $50 million in state funds to rebuild the school.

A new facility will be built away from the initial site so that a memorial could be built in its place.
    More at the Source.

Any thoughts? Waste of money? $50 million a good price for symbolism?

Depends if there were any pre-existing reasons or damage done that means a rebuild out to be considered for other reasons too. Seems odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Personally I find it a massive waste of money, but I have no doubt that school building has turned into a very grim place for children who went through the ordeal. Still wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to move them to another school. But with the regular hysteria about that in parents I suppose they'd rather waste 50m on a superfluous new building.
    Congratulations America

seems like a waste. you need a seriously derelict building to warrant this kind of nuclear option, and since it was still in use I'm doubting that was the case
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 10-08-2013 at 02:52 AM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Symbolism was the right word for you to use, and it is a very hard thing to measure.

In some ways it seems sensible to draw a line under the affair, start from scratch and move on, with a new building.

In the UK, where there have been households where horrors have taken place, such as the Soham murders where two young girls were killed by Ian Huntley, or Fred and Rose West's house in Gloucester where numerous teenage girls were raped, tortured and killed in the 70s and 80s; both properties were torn down and rebuilt. In fact in the latter case, the rubble from the demolition was ground up so that nothing was left but dust, such were the macabre associations with that property.

Partly this was because it was anticipated that noone would want to buy either property, partly to prevent the ghoulish possibility of souvenir hunting, and also partly I suspect for the symbolic reasons being discussed here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Will it be redesigned to make things easier for police and students while hindering psycho gunmen?

Anyway, I can understand the decision, but think the money may have been better spent on addressing eg. mental health problems in the community. Even symbolically.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

It does no good to keep a building that no one will attend. The choice seems to be, drive the students to another school or build a new one. If you're gonna build a new one, you might as well tear down the old one.
    Get off my lawn
    I can live without #16 and #17

Except you can repurpose a building.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Schools are harder to re-purpose than general office buildings, assuming you could even find a buyer for it. The community itself would not attend it or work at it if it was re-purposed for another government agency or entity. Best to just level it.
    Get off my lawn
    I can live without #16 and #17

More likely it's to eliminate evidence or to wipe out a hoax.

That's the traditional way. Here is they demolish the so said Bin Laden house.

Quote Originally Posted by sheadunne View Post
    It does no good to keep a building that no one will attend. The choice seems to be, drive the students to another school or build a new one. If you're gonna build a new one, you might as well tear down the old one.
    Isn't Columbine still standing?

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Except you can repurpose a building.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheadunne View Post
    Schools are harder to re-purpose than general office buildings, assuming you could even find a buyer for it. The community itself would not attend it or work at it if it was re-purposed for another government agency or entity. Best to just level it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Isn't Columbine still standing?
    I think the main difference is that Sandy Hook was a small Elementary School....where 20 first and second graders were killed in their classrooms.

Columbine was a large High School campus, and even though the carnage was horrible, those students were old enough to either find a place to hide, or find a way out, even after being shot. I remember the student who was shot and partially paralyzed, but saved himself by clawing his body through an open window, and falling 2-3 stories to the ground. What first or second grader could do that?

However harsh this may sound; those 20 children are dead and there is zero chance they will be traumatised by the further use of the building as a primary school.
    Congratulations America

Friends and siblings aren't dead.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    If you read the accounts of what happened; 15 out of 16 children in one classroom were killed together with their teacher and a teacher's aide.

It is in the second classroom where things got really nasty; 5 children were hiding in a closet, some were trying to hide under desks. Their teacher and the teacher's aide were killed, as were 5 children. 11 children escaped with their lives. These children are potentially heavily traumatized as was the 1 child from the first classroom. The others experienced something scary, after all it's highly disconcerting if your teacher or any adult for that matter herds you in a closet in order to keep you safe. But, in the end that was exactly what happened; they were kept safe and never had any first hand knowledge of the events. Keeping an eye on them for signs? Definately, but automatically assume they're traumatized is a bit steep. We're

That leaves you with 12 victims, and I would say nothing to belittle their ordeal, but I find it a bit of overkill to spend $50 million on a new building where you could have dealt with the situation by targetted therapy and group talks. With a better chance of success too than simply building a new school and send your damaged pupils there.
    Congratulations America

Agreed on final paragraph. I'm just saying (as you know so not accusing) its too simplistic to say they're dead so can't be further traumatised. Its getting demolished for the survivors not the deceased.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Those people who might have emotional trouble with this can be sent to a different school, which is something that has to be done with everyone with this current solution anyways as nobody can attend rubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Will it be redesigned to make things easier for police and students while hindering psycho gunmen?

Anyway, I can understand the decision, but think the money may have been better spent on addressing eg. mental health problems in the community. Even symbolically.
    Totally agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by katsung47 View Post
    More likely it's to eliminate evidence or to wipe out a hoax.

That's the traditional way. Here is they demolish the so said Bin Laden house.
    I was literally going to post this as a joke making fun of your posting style. And you just did it all on your own because I've been too busy to post for a few days.

Bravo...I think.

What kind of secret they don't want people to know? There are too much need to cover up.

Bill Drafted InSecret Would Block Release Of Some Newtown Massacre Records
    The staffs of the state's top prosecutor and the governor's office havebeen working in secret with legislative leaders on a law to withhold recordsrelated to the police investigation into the Dec. 14 Newtown elementary schoolmassacre.

By JON LENDER, EDMUND H. MAHONY and DAVE ALTIMARI, jlender@courant.comTheHartford Courant
    10:18 p.m. EDT, May 21, 2013

The staffs of the state's top prosecutor and the governor's office havebeen working in secret with General Assembly leaders on legislation to withholdrecords related to the police investigation into the Dec. 14 Newtown elementaryschool massacre — including victims' photos, tapes of 911 calls, and possiblymore.

The behind-the-scenes legislative effort came to light Tuesday when TheCourant obtained a copy of an email by a top assistant to Chief State'sAttorney Kevin Kane, Timothy J. Sugrue. Sugrue, an assistant state's attorney,discussed options considered so far, including blocking release of statements"made by a minor."
    http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...,2316671.story

Confidentiality required for Sandy Hook schooldemolition crews
    By Richard Valdmanis

The move is aimed at protecting families of the victims from further airingof details of the incident in which a gunman entered the school last Decemberand opened fire, killing 20 young children and six faculty and staff beforeturning his gun on himself, Selectman William Rodgers said.

"The town has alreadyrestricted access to the site among its own citizens, limiting accessessentially just to families. Given that, a level of sensitivity is requiredamong the workers too, and that is why we've done this," he said.
    http://news.yahoo.com/confidentialit...183504644.html
    They always found an excuse to keep their secret.

Sandy hook school location map from sky

Sandy Hook School was selected particularly for its location. It was in adead end of a road. No others would pass by and witness what have happened. Itlargely protect the perpetrators to commit a crime without being discovered andthen left. The time was at 9:40, parents left already and they couldn’t bewitness too. The victims were first grade pupils, they were too young to describea scene even if they were survived the massacre. Yet, the murderers tried tokill everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Personally I find it a massive waste of money, but I have no doubt that school building has turned into a very grim place for children who went through the ordeal. Still wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to move them to another school. But with the regular hysteria about that in parents I suppose they'd rather waste 50m on a superfluous new building.
    It doesnt take much at that age to create a story that lasts for a lot more years, however illogical. I wonder if moving as you suggest and tearing the place down without rebuilding might not have been the best idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Similar criminal tactic was seen in other plot - wipe out evidence.

26 November 2013, 13:45

'Kennedy made a lot of internal enemies when he was in office' - JessieVentura

And then let's look at howthe murder of the president was handled - look at his car, his car was a crimescene, he was murdered in it. After they drove to Parkland Hospital to try andsafe his life, yellow tape should have been put around that car, that carshould have never been touched until forensic could go through with it. Mondaymorning at orders of new president Lyndon Johnson that car was already up in Michiganbeing totally refurbished. Nobody got to look at it.

http://voiceofrussia.com/2013_11_26/...-Ventura-8788/