Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple, Microsoft, RIM collude to destroy android as well as Google's ad-revenue

Default Apple, Microsoft, RIM collude to destroy android as well as Google's ad-revenue

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...r-sues-google/

The fuck!

NOW can we sue them for anticompetitive practices??
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    So, what was the good point about software patents again?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

For a second I thought this was a reference to Rockstar games.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...r-sues-google/

The fuck!

NOW can we sue them for anticompetitive practices??
    Interesting, the Google lawyer seemed to be using language geared towards hoping for regulatory assistance. Though some kind of legal counter-attack (or settlement?) seems far more likely.

Well, Apple's gotta protect its margins somehow, amirite?

A bit of hyperbole there. It may cost Google and co extra but then again they were prepared to spend billions in the first place. It's not going to destroy them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    A bit of hyperbole there. It may cost Google and co extra but then again they were prepared to spend billions in the first place. It's not going to destroy them.
    google ≠ andriod

the only people this is going to cost are the consumers
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 11-04-2013 at 01:25 AM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I imagine the lower-margin hardware companies trying to undercut Apple on price and avoid lame import bans will have some trouble...and have to pass those costs onto consumers.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    It's not exactly difficult to undercut Apple on price. Have you actually looked at Apple's price points and compared them to the same hardware, only without Apple branding?

I've seen a RAM module which had a 100% markup. Just one example.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

the 5c and 5s cost Apple under $200 assembled, but apple charges north of $500 per unit. Not exactly hard to undercut that.

Which is why this rockstar troll group went after the manufacturers as well as Google. Yet another part of our patent system that needs fixed.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 11-04-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Given that smartphones are close to reach the end of the line, it would be my guess that inside of 5 years all smartphones will be made by fancy name chinese and indian companies at margins that will make the corporate types at Apple cry bitter tears. There may still be people producing luxury smart phones, but they will be more likely carrying names like 'Patek' or 'Cartier' in stead of Apple and Samsung.
    Congratulations America

I bet against you, in both cases.

Apples share will go down, but will stay on a level they have with their other products. They still have their home base. And Samsung is just able to make products of a little higher price but with much higher quality than the Chinese and Indian counterparts.

And iPhones are not competing in the luxury market, the price tag has one or more zeros too few at the end.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

I believe Apple's share in all markets they are currently in will drop if the phones aren't there like they are now, and apple hasn't shown to do to well with a niche status or items. They will need a new staple and frankly they haven't shown a great deal of branching out in order secure or create such an item.

Even Woz has admitted that Apple needs to start working with Google.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Interesting, the Google lawyer seemed to be using language geared towards hoping for regulatory assistance. Though some kind of legal counter-attack (or settlement?) seems far more likely.
    Hard to counter-sue as Rockstar doesn't actually produce anything.

Google's primary source of revenue--past, present and future--are its ads. Its hardware partners are also vulnerable due to their dependence on android, and some may fold.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    I bet against you, in both cases.

Apples share will go down, but will stay on a level they have with their other products. They still have their home base. And Samsung is just able to make products of a little higher price but with much higher quality than the Chinese and Indian counterparts.

And iPhones are not competing in the luxury market, the price tag has one or more zeros too few at the end.
    I think you misunderstood me; I don't think there's money to be made in smartphones in a couple of years besides the luxury exceptions I hinted at. People are paying premium prices now for the best phone's because they are really better than the entry level phones. With that margin shrinking there will no longer be a place for phones like the iPhone. Your average €50 Chinese smartphone will look just as nice as the best phones around and what's more important have all it's functionalities. Apple may survive by withdrawal into selling content but if it keeps relying on its hardware it will be a memory quite soon.

If you don't believe me ask yourself what you would pay for a phone to be used on a landline.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Your average €50 Chinese smartphone will look just as nice as the best phones around and what's more important have all it's functionalities.
    It will look as nice, but without the same quality. There is an issue regarding maintenance of machines and QM of the factory that won't let you go that low in price.
    If you don't believe me ask yourself what you would pay for a phone to be used on a landline.
    The handset of my landline phone is not even close to the quality of my mobile phone, and that's even a Motorola and not some no-name.

Also landline phones have absolute no personal value, it's not something you carry around all the time. Also you need much more battery power, that alone raises the price tag.
    Last edited by earthJoker; 11-05-2013 at 05:37 AM.

Exactly, your landline phone has absolutely no personal value. And soon your smartphone will be a commodity just like that as well; a device that gives you access to the internet and on which you can watch video when you're bored. HD/retina screens are becoming the norm, as is 4G and on-board camera's that are the equivalent of a stand alone digital camera.

Batteries are the only part where mobile phones still can make big steps; but once you have smartphones that make it through 16 hours of usage without a re-charge the bragging powers of that is going to decline pretty rapid fast. Once innovation in smartphones has petered out, you've reached full commodity status for the phone which will make it near impossible to sell it at a premium price.
    Congratulations America

Exactly, your landline phone has absolutely no personal value. And soon your smartphone will be a commodity just like that as well;
    No it won't, as long as you need your smartphone on regular basis, your standards are higher than to something you need once or twice a day.
    a device that gives you access to the internet and on which you can watch video when you're bored. HD/retina screens are becoming the norm, as is 4G and on-board camera's that are the equivalent of a stand alone digital camera.
    Now we get into the right category of devices. The smartphone will become something like a TV or a digital camera. Something which is dominated by ... Samsung; not Chinese or Indian companies.
    Batteries are the only part where mobile phones still can make big steps; but once you have smartphones that make it through 16 hours of usage without a re-charge the bragging powers of that is going to decline pretty rapid fast. Once innovation in smartphones has petered out, you've reached full commodity status for the phone which will make it near impossible to sell it at a premium price.
    Innovation is just one part, the question is, if the you can get the component price of the battery lower as it is now. Unlikely if you ask me.

No it won't, as long as you need your smartphone on regular basis, your standards are higher than to something you need once or twice a day.

Now we get into the right category of devices. The smartphone will become something like a TV or a digital camera. Something which is dominated by ... Samsung; not Chinese or Indian companies.

Innovation is just one part, the question is, if the you can get the component price of the battery lower as it is now. Unlikely if you ask me.
    Camera's are not a commodity, televisions indeed have become just that; companies like Samsung and LG struggle to make money selling TV's reams of old big names in TV have been reduced to mere stickers on TV's built by others. Telephones are going that way too.
    Congratulations America

Camera's are not a commodity, televisions indeed have become just that; companies like Samsung and LG struggle to make money selling TV's reams of old big names in TV have been reduced to mere stickers on TV's built by others. Telephones are going that way too.
    Of course the profit falls with the time the products are in the market, that's natural. Still Samsung is dominating, as they are controlling the process not only the product. It all comes down to producing the main components, like the display and CPUs.

companies like Samsung and LG struggle to make money selling TV's
    thats because samsung waited far to long to end its plasma tv production and LG overprices everything because they always come loaded. The TV market won't settle till, at the very earliest, 4K and OLED shake things up. Theres already push back against brands like Visio because of horrible quality control and support, and other cheap brands, like coby, are failing.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 11-05-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Is it confirmed that Samsung has/(will) stopped producing Plasma. Shame if so, my current and previous TVs are both Samsung Plasma and provided excellent value for money.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Just noticed this thread was closed. Can only assume I knocked the close button by mistake when posting on my phone earlier.

No Samsung has not ended plasma production. That's my bad. Its Panasonic that just announced their exit from the plasma market. Which only leaves LG and Samsung.

and while plasma might have had value, that's not the case anymore. You can buy an LG 50" led for the same price as an LG 50" plasma. And if you do manage to find plasma to be cheaper, the fact that they cost 2-3 times more to operate will eat up that savings by the time the unit is replaced.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 11-05-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Seriously ? When I was shopping for a TV last year I noticed that plasma TV's were very often half the price of similar sized LED tv's. I forgot why I still went for LED in the end, but you're right that electricity usage was a consideration, though not the biggest.

For the unbelievers in this thread I'll throw in some names of companies that I think will be producing huge parts of the number of phones being used in roughly five years from now: Huawei and Lenovo. They'll certainly outsell Apple, and Samsung also isn't necessarily too big for them.
    Congratulations America

Interesting enough US has banned both those brands from government orders.

in a personal note, I haven't used a huawei phone that didn't cause me to rage, but the wife loves her lenevo laptop she had. Which was the cheapest model from all brands last black friday

Seriously ? When I was shopping for a TV last year I noticed that plasma TV's were very often half the price of similar sized LED tv's. I forgot why I still went for LED in the end, but you're right that electricity usage was a consideration, though not the biggest.
    IIRC LED tvs have usually far better colours. Then again, I still have a CRT, so what do I know Biggest advantage there was that it was for free.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Interesting enough US has banned both those brands from government orders.

in a personal note, I haven't used a huawei phone that didn't cause me to rage, but the wife loves her lenevo laptop she had. Which was the cheapest model from all brands last black friday
    Are you going to care what your government buys or doesn't buy if either of these two is willing to sell you a phone that's better than the present iphone 5s, Samsung Galaxy S4 or the likes at a price between $50 and $100?

The Jiayu brand is virtually unknown, their G4 model sells for little over $200 and gives a lot of users more than they need already. (you can find unboxing videos of this model on Youtube)
    Last edited by Hazir; 11-05-2013 at 10:06 PM.
    Congratulations America

Are you going to care what your government buys or doesn't buy if either of these two is willing to sell you a phone that's better than the present iphone 5s, Samsung Galaxy S4 or the likes at a price between $50 and $100?
    The Nokia 521 is $99 on amazon. best phone I've ever used, and its the lowest end model Nokia offers with Windows 8 right now.

the governments reasoning is because the chinese spy and add backdoors, not that such claims hold much weight.

So the phone you like best is made by a company that missed the ship initially with smartphones and a software company that's actually had to buy them to keep their OS on mobile phones And sold for $99 only.

Now just imagine there are more people like you in the market; buying the product they want/need at commodity prices and not the premium prices Apple and Samsung charge for their best phones.
    Congratulations America

You know that you can get a Samsung smartphone for the less than $100?

You know that you can get a Samsung smartphone for the less than $100?
    That $100 Samsung smartphone has specs on a par with their S4 model?
    Congratulations America