Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How young is too young to be on Facebook?

Or reject/ignore the requests of people you're not friends with IRL?

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Or just ignore the requests
    The funny thing with Facebook is that they can see your activities (commenting on a friend's wall, becoming friends with someone else) if they're waiting on you to confirm/reject a friend request. So, they'll figure out that you're ignoring them eventually.

I limit my friends list to people I have a good relationship with, or who I want to improve my relationship with. Everyone else: rejected. It just makes things easier.

Facebook used to be college students/faculty and alumni only, and I kind of wish that they hadn't changed that policy. Keep the children wallowing in the septic tank that is Myspace so they have something to look forward to when they enroll in higher education.
    Your search had no results.

I remember giving some girl my USF email so she could sign up for something called The Facebook

Unlike forums, look at this...

Her Facebook status changed to single? Ur dumped | Reuters

Digital dumping is on the rise, according to a survey, with growing numbers of people preferring to use email and social networking Web sites to break up with their partners.

This can't be done with a forum.

Bullshit, it certainly can be.

Wraithykins, I'm breaking up with you again. I don't want to marry you now that you cheated on me.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Uhoh, lolli's on the prowl again.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

I had the impression MyFace was for people who like had a band or something, or had something to show, people put their music and stuff up there.

The only time I end up there is through links to people's music ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Myspace was originally for those who got bored of Friendster, and wanted more control of their page.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Pretty incredible. Actually comports with some boomer parents I know, who in the past year have gotten on Facebook and become much more frequent e-mailers. It used to be that people that age might check their e-mail a few times a week. It's now part of their daily routines.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Just got another friend request from a girl I haven't seen, haven't wanted to see, since highschool. I hate facebook.
    Besides gathering intel on girls you meet and ask out (but before the first time), that's one of the best parts of Facebook!

Email communication:

To: Kids PDL
    Subject: Dinner is ready
    ------------------------------------------
    The dinner is ready. Please come down to eat.

I love you.

Mom

Email communication:

To: Kids PDL
    Subject: Dinner is ready
    ------------------------------------------
    The dinner is ready. Please come down to eat.

I love you.

Mom
    ahh, yes, nothing beats having parents on facebook.

There is no way in hell I'm allowing my daughter on Facebook, Myspace or any other site like them. If she wants to communicate with somebody, she can do it in person, on the telephone, or by writing an email - and not by crappy, pointless, half arsed messages that do nothing more than encourage lazy writing and horrific communication skills.

It encourages children to stay at home, alone in their room rather than actually -being- with their friends. I remember my wife's brother using MSN. (before social networking sites had really taken off.) He came home from school and logged straight in, and started chatting with 30 other school friends who had all done the same thing. I asked him where all of those people were and he said they were at home. I then asked him why they didn't just get together and talk in person and he just shrugged and said "this is easier."

So I'd say 16, when they've left secondary school.
    Last edited by gogobongopop; 03-04-2010 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    There is no way in hell I'm allowing my daughter on Facebook, Myspace or any other site like them. If she wants to communicate with somebody, she can do it in person, on the telephone, or by writing an email - and not by crappy, pointless, half arsed messages that do nothing more than encourage lazy writing and horrific communication skills.

It encourages children to stay at home, alone in their room rather than actually -being- with their friends. I remember my wife's brother using MSN. (before social networking sites had really taken off.) He came home from school and logged straight in, and started chatting with 30 other school friends who had all done the same thing. I asked him where all of those people were and he said they were at home. I then asked him why they didn't just get together and talk in person and he just shrugged and said "this is easier."

So I'd day 16, when they've left secondary school.
    I agree with the sentiment but you're going to have a tough time pulling that off.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

I know. It's going to be very, very difficult if all of her friends sit their like moronic zombies 7 nights a fight posting non stop "OMGWTFLOL?"s, pictures of things "failing" and one line messages about "omg stacey gve jon a blowjob but sandra saw now sandra is all like wtf and she told sam that she didn't not want no more trouble but i think thats bs coz like well sandras a bitch and jon can jst fuck off coz he spat in my custard yesterday like in front of mr mcgrew who btw kate totally has the hots for coz he has a nice arse but i think its like well saggy and probly has spots all ova EWWWWWWWWW LOL!1"

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Or just ignore the requests
    That's really what I'm doing. I'm ignoring Facebook altogether really. I don't hate it, I'm indifferent to it mostly. I don't like the mixing of different groups of people either. Friends / Family / Work. Don't have the time either. I can see how people can get pulled in though.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    I know. It's going to be very, very difficult if all of her friends sit their like moronic zombies 7 nights a fight posting non stop "OMGWTFLOL?"s, pictures of things "failing" and one line messages about "omg stacey gve jon a blowjob but sandra saw now sandra is all like wtf and she told sam that she didn't not want no more trouble but i think thats bs coz like well sandras a bitch and jon can jst fuck off coz he spat in my custard yesterday like in front of mr mcgrew who btw kate totally has the hots for coz he has a nice arse but i think its like well saggy and probly has spots all ova EWWWWWWWWW LOL!1"
    That's why the do sexting on cell phones. Good luck!

Oh, she's not having a mobile phone till she's 18.

And the lock to her chastity belt till she's 21.

I do hope your next babygopoop is a boy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Pretty incredible. Actually comports with some boomer parents I know, who in the past year have gotten on Facebook and become much more frequent e-mailers. It used to be that people that age might check their e-mail a few times a week. It's now part of their daily routines.
    And they tend to be the ones forwarding crappy chain emails
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

This is cute. Young people used to bitch that older folks didn't use internet technology enough. Now it's flipped because all the geezers and boomers are using it too much, or not the way young people like?

This is cute. Young people used to bitch that older folks didn't use internet technology enough. Now it's flipped because all the geezers and boomers are using it too much, or not the way young people like?
    I dont mind that they use it, but every young person has recognised that all the chain emails are bullshit, but the old people apparently haven't grasped that yet
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

My mother sent me the invitation that got me on facebook. She also sends me far more spam email than I get from any other (non-blocked) source.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I just heard it on the news....the Dalai Lama is now on twitter. oh dear

I just heard it on the news....the Dalai Lama is now on twitter. oh dear
    in other news:

Twitter's mysterious 10 billionth tweet
    http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03...weet/?hpt=Sbin

Jesus I'm sick of Twitter. Have been for months. Can't stand all the people at work who are in love with it, and all the people in the media who give it outsized importance.

Cyber-bullying cases put heat on Google, Facebook

Hmm, it looks like Facebook needs moderation...

I can't even wrap my head around that Italy case involving Google.

man, what's this nonsense about the net socially handicapping kids...?? almost every single one of my peers use both facebook and msn and it's not like they've stopped meeting people irl the advantage is that it makes social (as well as professional/academic ) exchange easier. i don't understand the schools of thought that maintain that it's sensible to--at all times--complicate one's interaction with people outside one's home. i very much appreciate being able to exchange a few words with friends and colleagues for free without any major wasteful interruptions to my workflow in the form of eg. getting dressed, waiting for the bus, riding the bus, waiting for the tube, riding the tube, finding a place to hang out, determining the appropriate length of time to hang out, inevitably overestimating the ideal duration of the hangout, coming home way too late to a whole bunch of work left to do but being far too tired to get back to work...

pfff

damn' reactionary bastards. you probably bitch about texts and cellphones too huh
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Facebook killer monitoring probed

With this forum, at least I know that if I post here, you won't come to kill me.
    Last edited by ar81; 03-09-2010 at 04:46 PM.

I was searching for a different thread about Facebook, related to its fake accounts and trolls and propaganda influencing elections, but found this instead.

Bump haha?