Thread: Rugby League World Cup 2013

Default Rugby League World Cup 2013

So most of you will be thinking - "Rugby, eh, I love that. Who doesnt love 29 posh lads watching 1 other posh lad kick a ball over some posts"

HOWEVER

There IS another form of rugby. Some say its got more action. Some say its players are more versatile. Some say its players run harder. Some say they spend less time watching scrums collapse. Some say there are NO SUCH THING as pointless lineouts. Some say its tries are more important than any penalty.

And of course those people are all entirely right. Dont watch even one more game of kick and clap. Watch rugby league and see some actual rugby.

So the World Cup so far has been excellent. Some brilliant performances from the likes of Scotland, the USA and Fiji. A tense encounter between England and Australia. The ever-present threat of the Kiwis. We are now entering the knockout stages of the competition, with England vs France in what should be an easy game for the English, but against a France who are getting better every year, and who gave a brilliant performance in the face of a brutal Samoa.

If they win this it lines up a match against the Kiwis, the winner of which will almost certainly play Australia in the final.

All games on the BBC. Get involved chaps.
    Last edited by Spawnie; 11-16-2013 at 09:11 AM.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

I would also like to say that it has been this year's world cup that I have most noticed the media bias against Rugby League. Barely any mention of it in any national newspaper. Even the websites will rather have a blank space or some second-tier bullshit about cricket than even one single League article.

I know most media people are southerners, and likely middle class at that, but there is no excuse for how low a setting League gets over here. Fucking American Football gets more attention than a home-grown exciting sport. Its like the media people ask each other "who cares about League". WELL NOT YOU CUNTS THAT WHO"

And not being on their side is reason enough that you should join in.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Sorry, no can do. Just bought a house in Twickenham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

You could flick to the other channel every time the Union match stopped for a penalty.

Well well. I find myself tup local pub. Big screen showing League; England v France 8pm.

Lets find out what this malarkey is all about. Peak cap on, just need to find a couple of whippets to curl up by my feet ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Living in Warrington, Rugby League is very big over here. We don't have a professional football team of our own (sandwiched between Liverpool and Manchester most support one of those) but home of the Warrington Wolves and in the north west corridor of the M62 where Rugby League is at its most popular. Today's Quarter Final in fact is at our local stadium.

I never used to be that interested in any form of Rugby but in my new job with a local company we actually have a bit of involvement with the Wolves and so I've worked with some of the players and gotten to know the sport and it is enjoyable. Its weird too watching an England match of professional sport on TV and knowing (professionally not socially) many of the players on the field. I have to say the players I've met are really nice people and quite humble and not at all arrogant.

However while the Wolves are very popular here and the Council has put up signs advertising the World Cup for like the last 2 years, its got scant attention. I think the total absence of media coverage doesn't help, if I wasn't in Warrington I'm not sure I'd even know it was on. While the BBC is covering the England games and a few of the other big ones, most of the other games are on an obscure pay separately TV channel channel called Premier Sports and that doesn't help. If it was on Sky Sports instead I'm sure there'd be a heck of a lot more coverage and advertising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.