Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: More Erdogan madness

I don't think there's a high-level conspiracy, but there are certainly low-level people sympathetic to ISIS, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had some role in actively aiding these people or preventing a proper investigation.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Or its just incompetence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Incompetence often comes along with lack of motivation.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    Incompetence often comes along with lack of motivation.
    The argument of incompetence only ignores the fact that not so long ago the Turkish government was actively supporting IS.
    Congratulations America

I've said before that Turkey is practically a "failed" state. They don't monitor their borders very well, making it easier for "terrorists" to travel through Turkey, on their way to Syria or Iraq.....

The problem is that Turkey is a member of NATO. Now what?

I doubt they monitor their borders all that much worse than the US monitors the Mexican border...

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I doubt they monitor their borders all that much worse than the US monitors the Mexican border...
    I'm pretty certain they know how to monitor their borders, if they cared to.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I'm pretty certain they know how to monitor their borders, if they cared to.
    Yes, they could. But (using a baseball metaphor) isn't Turkey caught in a pickle-in-the-middle?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Yes, they could. But (using a baseball metaphor) isn't Turkey caught in a pickle-in-the-middle?
    Given that they actively supported parties like IS, it's a bit of a case of making your bed and now having to sleep in it.

Somehow the Jacky Sutton suicide / murder story just got a bit stranger. She was found hanging in a cubicle in the airport after missing her flight to Erbil in Iraq on purpose. CCTV shows her sitting at the gate waiting for the doors to be closed. Only after that she walked to the transfer desk telling she missed her flight and that she didn't have money for a new ticket.

Her predecessor was killed with a car bomb by IS.

her family seems convinced it was suicide
    Last edited by Hazir; 10-23-2015 at 02:18 AM.
    Congratulations America

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0SG13F20151022

Erdogan said Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militants, the Syrian "mukhabarat" secret police and the Syrian Kurdish PYD militia had worked together with Islamic State in the bombing on Oct. 10.
    That's an... unexpected coalition.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Yeah ... no ... wtf?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Yeah, how come the Jews.. oops.. Israeli's of course get a free pass this time?

Also, the Padisah has a long memory;2013 protests lead to 244 convictions
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Yeah, how come the Jews.. oops.. Israeli's of course get a free pass this time?
    I thought exactly the same thing. But as Palestinians have caused of the Holocaust, why not blame them as well?
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Yeah, well, it's not so surprising he was arrested. It would be an outrage though if he's convicted for reporting the truth.
    Congratulations America

There's a bit of irony in charging him with aiding terrorists for printing that the government is doing exactly that. I guess more hypocrisy than irony, though.

Then again, it's not like other countries don't charge people for revealing state secrets, even if it shows that the state was breaking the law (on a massive scale).

In Western countries, a reporter can be charged with not revealing their sources, not for the reporting itself.

Fair enough. I know that in the USA the government tried to prevent publication in the past, but publications were allowed by the courts right? Pentagon papers come to mind.

Yes, pre-publication censorship (prior restraint) is generally not allowed by the courts here.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Yes, pre-publication censorship (prior restraint) is generally not allowed by the courts here.
    Why would you need something crude like censorship if you can simply throw journalists in prison and if need be simply steal entire news outlets from their rightful owners?
    Congratulations America

Erdogan does want to be #1 in everything. https://en.rsf.org/press-freedom-bar...tml?annee=2015

Incidentally, is there a procedure to suspend a country from NATO?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Have them randomly shoot down a Russian plane.

There's no formal process for suspending or expelling a NATO member. Such decisions must be made by consensus, including the country who'd be voted out. The rules would have to be revised first. Having said that, NATO members have been isolated within NATO and not invited to any meetings in the past (when Greece and Turkey had military juntas in the past). Not that this would preclude them from making use of Article V.

On a related note, 70% of Turks don't want to be part of NATO. I wonder if that number changed in the last week.

What's both mortifying and amusing is the fact that Putin has de facto imposed a no-fly zone for the Turkish airforce over Syria.
    Congratulations America

Am I crazy that Erdogan seems to be caving/groveling all of the sudden?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Am I crazy that Erdogan seems to be caving/groveling all of the sudden?
    It looks a bit like it yes. I guess it must be uncomfortable being on the receiving end for a change.
    Congratulations America

How can someone write the article and not include the original memes?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Did Erdogan seriously name Hitler Germany as an example for what Turkey's government could look like?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tu...0UF1T820160101
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I'm not surprised at all; it can't be a coincidence that so many young Turks come out of school thinking that not the Holocaust itself but its reluctant execution was Hitler's biggest mistake.
    Congratulations America