Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More Erdogan madness

Linky? I'd like to see this weird-sounding photo sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Linky? I'd like to see this weird-sounding photo sequence.
    Weird is the new normal in Turkey.
    Congratulations America

The Supreme Court ruled that the YouTube ban is unconstitutional.
    Congratulations America

Erdogan has ratcheted up his rhetoric against Israel and its allies in recent days, accusing the Jewish State of "surpassing Hitler in barbarism," and criticising the U.S. and the rest of the Muslim world for failing to intervene.
    Is there a bigger troll on this planet?
    Hope is the denial of reality

He's up there with the worst if anything. The only explanation I have for it is that it taps into the delusions of greatness Turks are brought up with. By grossly overshouting he gives them the idea the rest of the world is listening to him rather than shrugging him off. I seriously fear the man will be elected president next month.
    Congratulations America

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Once again, Erdogan has its panties in a knot. Why? Because of this caricature:

The text is probably a bit on the impossible side to translate but the culprit is the watchdog*) on a chain anyway...

... this is part of a school textbook about immigration, by the way. I distinctly remember having caricatures about Jews in our history books dealing with the 3rd Reich.

*) The fun part is that we even have a saying in Germany: "Getroffene Hunde bellen!", literally translated: "The struck dog barks.", the direct translation being: "Methinks thou dost protest too much."
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I honestly like the official German answer on the issue.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Erdogan is going to have to get in line:

May I point out that it's a lot more comfortable for the Padisah if we talk about his outrageous claims than about his Middle East policies.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    .... The fun part is that we even have a saying in Germany: "Getroffene Hunde bellen!", literally translated: "The struck dog barks.", the direct translation being: "Methinks thou dost protest too much."
    That's quoting Shakespeare.

And? It's still a fitting translation.

What dost thou have against The Bard?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    May I point out that it's a lot more comfortable for the Padisah if we talk about his outrageous claims than about his Middle East policies.
    I'm fairly sure that with the possible exception of you, what we talk about makes absolutely no difference whatsoever to Erdogan's comfort.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

You should read 'we' as society in general. Every crazy talking point he provides does eat into the time that should be attributed to dealing with the real issues.
    Congratulations America

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30484729 Amusing hearing him telling others to keep their opinions to themselves.

Israeli media reported earlier that France had asked Netanyahu to stay away from the march but he ignored the request and attended anyway.
    Is this true? If so, that's one mark in the column of "French Jews should pack their bags".

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Is this true? If so, that's one mark in the column of "French Jews should pack their bags".
    Yes, it's true. They wanted neither Netahyahu nor Abbas and ended up with both.
    Congratulations America

Generally good piece, though what I am missing is that what oil is for Putin a steady flow of cheap dollars is for Erdoğan
    Congratulations America

"They say 'Turkey should not interfere with our domestic affairs'. We are not interfering. If something happens in a country against freedoms, we should speak up," Erdogan said.

http://news.yahoo.com/turkeys-erdoga...103730598.html

I'm starting to suspect that Erdogan is actually GGT...

My understanding is that despite the apparently imminent disaster in 2013 when the American Federal Reserve signalled it would tighten monetary policy, Turkey has done and is doing just financially. Is this incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by Loocid View Post
    My understanding is that despite the apparently imminent disaster in 2013 when the American Federal Reserve signalled it would tighten monetary policy, Turkey has done and is doing just financially. Is this incorrect?
    Yes it is incorrect, the TL is losing value fast, which is a problem since a lot of debts are in dollars, and GDP per capita is dropping. Also the TCB is under extreme pressure to lower interest rates when this is not what a sound monetary policy would proscribe.

I am starting to think that under Erdogans rule Turkey may slip back to the bad money printing ways of the 1990s.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Yes it is incorrect, the TL is losing value fast, which is a problem since a lot of debts are in dollars, and GDP per capita is dropping. Also the TCB is under extreme pressure to lower interest rates when this is not what a sound monetary policy would proscribe.

I am starting to think that under Erdogans rule Turkey may slip back to the bad money printing ways of the 1990s.
    He has so far based his continued success in increasing the fortune of the average man in the street. If he has maintained it this long, what makes you think that he will drop the ball just now? Bear in mind, there have been doom sayers since he took office?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32266195

And more. Criticizing the government is apparently out of bounds now.

Quote Originally Posted by Loocid View Post
    He has so far based his continued success in increasing the fortune of the average man in the street. If he has maintained it this long, what makes you think that he will drop the ball just now? Bear in mind, there have been doom sayers since he took office?
    There have been doom stories indeed ever since he took office, the difference is that his deliverance was based on the near endless supply of cheap dollars due to a full blast QE by the FED. A lot of people would be willing to put up an endless debate on who actually controls the FED. I am pretty certain even the fringes of the conspiracy theory populus would not come up with Erdogan being the one pulling the strings.

We're talking about a country which can't afford high interest rates nor a soft currency, yet has both.
    Congratulations America

So, the European Parliament consists of religious fanatics. This is rich, coming from Erdogan.

I'd really like to see Merkel use this statement by Sonneborn: "Listen, dude. If we're saying it was a genocide then it must be so. After all, we have some experience in the matter."