Thread: More Erdogan madness

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loocid View Post
    My understanding is that despite the apparently imminent disaster in 2013 when the American Federal Reserve signalled it would tighten monetary policy, Turkey has done and is doing just financially. Is this incorrect?
    Yes it is incorrect, the TL is losing value fast, which is a problem since a lot of debts are in dollars, and GDP per capita is dropping. Also the TCB is under extreme pressure to lower interest rates when this is not what a sound monetary policy would proscribe.

I am starting to think that under Erdogans rule Turkey may slip back to the bad money printing ways of the 1990s.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Yes it is incorrect, the TL is losing value fast, which is a problem since a lot of debts are in dollars, and GDP per capita is dropping. Also the TCB is under extreme pressure to lower interest rates when this is not what a sound monetary policy would proscribe.

I am starting to think that under Erdogans rule Turkey may slip back to the bad money printing ways of the 1990s.
    He has so far based his continued success in increasing the fortune of the average man in the street. If he has maintained it this long, what makes you think that he will drop the ball just now? Bear in mind, there have been doom sayers since he took office?

Quote Originally Posted by Loocid View Post
    He has so far based his continued success in increasing the fortune of the average man in the street. If he has maintained it this long, what makes you think that he will drop the ball just now? Bear in mind, there have been doom sayers since he took office?
    There have been doom stories indeed ever since he took office, the difference is that his deliverance was based on the near endless supply of cheap dollars due to a full blast QE by the FED. A lot of people would be willing to put up an endless debate on who actually controls the FED. I am pretty certain even the fringes of the conspiracy theory populus would not come up with Erdogan being the one pulling the strings.

We're talking about a country which can't afford high interest rates nor a soft currency, yet has both.
    Congratulations America