Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VW Positions Ass Above Large Stick

Default VW Positions Ass Above Large Stick

Are they nuts or do they really think US auto unions are anything like German auto unions?

And to go so far as to legally bar anti-union employees from campaigning within the company? And ask for a vote for a specific union to represent its employees? Wow, just when they were gaining some traction in the US.

VW Asks for Fast Vote on UAW Ties
    Auto Maker's Request Represents Dramatic Turn for Union Effort at Chattanooga Factory

By NEAL E. BOUDETTE
    Feb. 3, 2014 1:21 p.m. ET

Volkswagen AG is going to allow employees at its Chattanooga, Tenn., plant to vote later this month on whether to unionize under an agreement it worked out with the United Auto Workers union.

In an unusual move, the auto maker petitioned the U.S. National Labor Relations Board to conduct the vote. Balloting will take place between Feb. 12 and Feb. 14. The NLRB oversees private-sector labor elections and union decertifications.

If workers vote to accept the UAW in Chattanooga, it would be a dramatic turn for the U.S. South, which has long resisted organized labor and has used its antiunion stance to attract several foreign-owned auto makers.

Several auto makers, including Nissan Motor Co. and Daimler AG 's Mercedes-Benz, have for years resisted organizing efforts by the UAW at U.S. auto plants and parts factories. The companies typically bar the UAW from campaigning inside their plants, and push for longer campaigning periods to give antiunion workers and groups more time to rally opposition.

VW, which opened the $1 billion Chattanooga plant in 2011, has for months been in talks with the UAW aimed at establishing some kind of formal representation at the 3,200-worker facility.

The move to hold an election is already raising tensions within Volkswagen Group of America. At least some executives at its U.S. headquarters in Herndon, Va., were unaware the vote was being arranged, and disagree with the move to cooperate with the UAW, people familiar with the matter said.

Under its agreement with the UAW, Volkswagen is allowing union organizers to campaign inside the plant, a step rarely taken by car makers when targeted for UAW organizing drives.

Plant-wide meetings at which UAW representatives can speak to VW employees will begin as soon as Tuesday, said Gary Casteel, a UAW official in charge of the union's activities in southern states.

The UAW has received help in its talks with Volkswagen from the powerful IG Metall union in Germany. IG Metall, which has representatives on the supervisory boards of Volkswagen, BMW AG , and Daimler, fears German auto makers will shift production to their nonunion plants in the U.S. at the expense of in Germany. Mercedes-Benz just did that recently, moving most of its production of it top-selling C-Class cars to a plant in Vance, Ala.

A group of workers opposed to the UAW asked in a letter to the plant's chief executive to be able to campaign inside the plant but its request was denied on Monday, said Maury Nicely, a labor lawyer who works with an antiunion group, which calls itself Southern Momentum.

"We're looking into whether this is legal, one of the leaders of the group, VW employee Mike Burton, said. "This is the shortest campaigning period we've ever heard of."

Mr. Burton's group on Friday began handing out leaflets explaining its view to employees as they left the plant. Last year, it collected signatures from more than 600 of the plant's hourly workers on petitions opposing UAW representation, he has said.

"It's going to be very vitriolic," said one U.S. VW executive who didn't want to be named speaking about the matter.

Volkswagen declined to comment.

Mr. Casteel said the UAW opposes letting antiunion workers campaign inside the plant. "The company has no obligation to give them access," he said, speaking Monday while driving to Chattanooga. Since UAW representation has been in discussion ever since the plant opened, workers "don't need a long time to make up their minds," Mr. Casteel added.

Volkswagen's path and the UAW's organizing campaign at the plant have drawn strong opposition from Tennessee politicians and business groups. Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam has said state officials fear car and parts makers would avoid new investment in the state if the UAW succeeds in organizing the Chattanooga factory.

Volkswagen's management in Germany chose to work with the UAW because the company is determined to set up a European-style "works council" at the plant that gives hourly and salaried workers a voice in the factory's rules, schedules and other workplace matters. But under U.S. labor law, it is only possible to have a works council under U.S. labor law if employees are represented by a union.

All but three Volkswagen plants around the world have works councils. Chattanooga and two plants in China don't.

In September, the UAW said it had collected signed union cards from more than half of the plant's 2,000 production workers and had held talks with the company's top management in Germany about becoming the official representative of the plant's assembly workers.The decision to conduct a union vote in Chattanooga comes at a time when VW's top management is considering using the plant to build a new sport-utility vehicle. That would increase production at the facility, which is on track to make about 150,000 cars this year, short of the full capacity level of about 250,000.

Last month, NLRB's office of general counsel rejected a complaint filed by a handful of VW workers that accused the United Auto Workers union of pressuring employees to sign the union cards and claimed the UAW had misrepresenting the meaning of signing the cards.

In the past, the UAW has had little success organizing Southern car plants. The union has managed to unionize some southern factories that make auto parts.

It has suffered setbacks, too. Last July, the UAW said a majority of workers at a parts plant in Tuscaloosa, Ala., had signed cards supporting the union. A majority later rejected the UAW in a secret-ballot vote, however, That vote came after a campaigning period of about six weeks when antiunion workers and groups worked to drum up "no" votes.

"Volkswagen Group of America and the UAW have agreed to this common path for the election," said Frank Fischer, chairman and CEO of Volkswagen Chattanooga, in the statement. "That means employees can decide on representation in a secret ballot election, independently conducted by the NLRB. Volkswagen is committed to neutrality and calls upon all third parties to honor the principle of neutrality."

"Employees have the right to decide, by voting in a secret ballot election, on a matter that concerns their own interests," said Sebastian Patta, a VW vice president in Chattanooga. "Volkswagen respects this democratic right at all locations world-wide."

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...60932530134494

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Wait, you're complaining that a company bars people from campaigning inside their company?

I smell hipocrisy.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Are they nuts or do they really think US auto unions are anything like German auto unions?

And to go so far as to legally bar anti-union employees from campaigning within the company? And ask for a vote for a specific union to represent its employees? Wow, just when they were gaining some traction in the US.
    I don't really see the problem here. If the company and the employees wants this factory to become a union shop, what's the issue?

Not all of employees do and they want to be able to counter campaign...and they are being told no.

Wait, the workers can't have a works council under US Law unless represented by a union??? WTF?
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Not all of employees do and they want to be able to counter campaign...and they are being told no.
    Which seems well within the employers rights to me.

It is, but not the democratic representation they are claiming it is. If only pro union ee's get to have meetings then kinda hard to have a real discussion isn't it?

Again, don't get me wrong, the company can do what it wants (until the get an American union in there, ha ha ha) but let's not pretend they are actually listening to all their ee's.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    It is, but not the democratic representation they are claiming it is. If only pro union ee's get to have meetings then kinda hard to have a real discussion isn't it?

Again, don't get me wrong, the company can do what it wants (until the get an American union in there, ha ha ha) but let's not pretend they are actually listening to all their ee's.
    Oh, I'm not trying to say I necessarily agree with what the company is doing, or even that I think it will ultimately be in their best interest, just that this is how I believe the system should work. If a company wants to let their workers unionize, I support their right to do so. If a company wants to hire people who aren't in a union, I support their right to do so. If the employees want to try and form their own union, I support their right to do so, (though with the understanding that the company is under no obligation to continue their employment).

We agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    <snip>If a company wants to let their workers unionize, I support their right to do so.

If a company wants to hire people who aren't in a union, I support their right to do so.

If the employees want to try and form their own union, I support their right to do so, (though with the understanding that the company is under no obligation to continue their employment).
    Hmm, that's not really discussing Rights, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Hmm, that's not really discussing Rights, though.
    Why do you think that?

If it's expressed as something a company "lets" or "allows", or "agrees to".... it's not based on Rights.

If it's expressed as something a company "lets" or "allows", or "agrees to".... it's not based on Rights.
    I'm not sure I follow. The company is within its rights to let, allow, or agree to. Just because one is afforded a right doesn't mean one has to take advantage of it. Likewise, employees are within their rights to organize, but that does not remove them from the consequences of doing so. Simply possessing a right does not free one from the impacts of exercising that right. Employment at a given company is not a right.

Human Rights trump corporatism/capitalist 'rights'. That's partly why Free Speech, the Fourth Estate, and Sunshine Laws remain in play.

Simply possessing a right does not free one from the impacts of exercising that right. Employment at a given company is not a right.
    And being an employer isn't a "Right", or come with exemptions from national labor laws.

OMG...you can not stay on point to save your life can you?

When people throw around "Rights" like political footballs, I consider it 'staying on point' to ask for clarification of "Rights".

And being an employer isn't a "Right", or come with exemptions from national labor laws.
    And being a woman in Saudi Arabia doesn't come with exemptions for Shariah law. Did you have a point?

Yes, my point is that "Rights", according to US standards, are supposed to be a gold standard that other nations strive to emulate. Including Saudi Arabia.

Yes, my point is that "Rights", according to US standards, are supposed to be a gold standard that other nations strive to emulate. Including Saudi Arabia.
    Great. We clearly define rights differently. Care to get to that point we were talking about?

Great. We clearly define rights differently. Care to get to that point we were talking about?
    Sure. Care to remind me what "point" was being made in the first place?

Sure. Care to remind me what "point" was being made in the first place?
    I couldn't tell you, GGT, you were the one trying to make it. Your positions are usually impenetrable to me.

I couldn't tell you, GGT, you were the one trying to make it. Your positions are usually impenetrable to me.
    I responded to the thread and OP article as a Rights issue. I'm not sure why that translates as "impenetrable" to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Wait, you're complaining that a company bars people from campaigning inside their company?

I smell hipocrisy.
    I think it's a bit ethically problematic that they are inviting the union to campaign in the company (and giving the union their employee's contact info so that the union can campaign, berate and potentially harass employees) while forbidding anti-union employees from doing the same.

They are very clearly stacking the deck for a union because VW seems to have forgotten why they opened a plant in a non-union corner of the country in the first place. And because they seem to desperately want that big stick.

Oh, so you're only opposed to labor unions when they can match forces against multi-national groups?

The multi-national group opposing this unionization effort is...?

Are you asking what trade or industry group is up against lobbyists? Or are you asking about the Pacific Trade agreement?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I think it's a bit ethically problematic that they are inviting the union to campaign in the company (and giving the union their employee's contact info so that the union can campaign, berate and potentially harass employees) while forbidding anti-union employees from doing the same.
    As opposed to the more usual, even routine, corporate behavior of refusing to let the union campaign in the company while anti-union employees are allowed, even encouraged, to do so freely?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

LittleFuzzy, that's the point I was making in my first answer.

Yes but what you wrote had a fatal flaw. You desperately want to be the next Tear and that one-liner of yours reflected that. What I wrote above is not phrased as an attempt to pick a fight.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Considering the thread history of Dread's, I'm not exactly sure that I'm the one picking a fight here.